• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bobcat Calling/Sequences

Started by Trevor, February 25, 2007, 12:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Ok ive searched every predator hunting forum i know of and cant find the answer......

what are a few good sounds to use for bobcat calling and in what sequences.    Ive seen two different bobcats in my area while deer hunting and it would be a dream come true to call em in and kill one.   

So any suggestions are appreciated.  Keep in mind, thati use a mp3 player powered by a mini amp and a speco directional speaker.  I have most sounds i would need, just dont know which of these to use  AND IN WHAT ORDER. 

Thanks, Trevor

keekee

MP3 player will work fine. Cats like thick cover, they love rocks and water as well. Try and find the area the cats are living in first. Cats have a smaller home range than coyotes. Once you got a idea of were the cats are, then go in and call your way around that area. If I have a clearcut here that is 1 mile long and 1/2 mile wide. I will start at one end and work my way around the clear cut. Cats are some what lazy and don't like to travel far, so the key is to get close to them. so I will make my stands about 500 yards apart. I will run my stands for 30 Min each. If they don't show in 30 min, I move and do it again.

Make sure you take a very good look around the area when you set down to call. Cats love to sneak into a call, sometime they will sneak in and lay down and just look things over. All you might be able to pick out is a ear or face in the brush. After the stand, shut off the caller and set for a couple min, scan the area good, then stand up and scan some more. Allot of times they will move when the sound stops, or when you stand up they will do the same, just be ready. They also like to circle the sound, so keep a good eye on you back side as well. No need to worry about the wind, cats don't see to care.

For sounds, I like a very active sound, a sound that has lots of pitch changes and moves very fast. Woodpecker distress, baby cottontail, lucky bird, cottontail, about any good bird distress or high pitched sound will work well. I play it fairly loud and let the sound play all the time, I don't shut the caller off, cats like lots of sound and it keep there Attn well and keeps them interested.

A decoy is also a big help. Cats like to see something, and often times this will keep them cooming or help them move along a little faster. Most of the time they don't get in no hurry. They love to stop and just look.

Hope this helps!

Brent

RShaw

It has been my experience, when cats get within sight of the sound, that is when they sit down to look things over. Calling in thick cover, this can be a problem because this spot may be a few yards beyond where you can see real good. If the cat just slips in and takes a seat, he can be real hard to see while he is just sitting there motionless. Like Brent said, a decoy would come in pretty handy for this situation. I use a decoy sometimes for cats, but have not been using one when a cat came in so I really can't speak on how they would react.

What I do most of the time, is to call continuous with the ecaller for about 5 minutes. This lets a cat get a line on the sound and starts his approach. After 5 minutes, I just play the sounds for about twenty seconds and then have some long pauses between. The cat has the line, but if the sound is not always playing he is unable to locate the exact location. I have had a few cats just stroll on in as they were approaching the sound source and following the last line they had on it.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Carolina Coyote

I have found that while Deer Hunting I use a Rabbit Distress call about every 15 Minutes, it does not spook the Deer and sometimes a Cat maybe nearby and will come in. About 30 minutes before the end of the Hunt morning and evening I start calling every minute or two. This adds to the Deer Hunt . You may want to experiment with the call while watching Deer to see their reaction. From what I have seen is the Deer will look but not spook. It always pay to have a call with you while Deer hunting in case you spot a Cat or Coyote you can possible call them in for a closer shot. Carolina Coyote