• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hey Pat (coyote101)

Started by JohnP, July 29, 2011, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Just noticed your avatar.  Are you a retired CWO?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Sorry I didn't respond sooner Mr. JohnP, but I have been at the lake for a couple of days. To answer your question, yes. I started life in 1975 as a tanker, but went to flight school in '77. I retired at Ft. Campbell in October 1995 as CW4.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Tikaani

Just curious Pat were you a Night Stalker, flew with those guys a lot in the mid eighties.
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

coyote101

Quote from: Tikaani on July 31, 2011, 03:49:24 PM
Just curious Pat were you a Night Stalker, flew with those guys a lot in the mid eighties.

No John, I was with the 101st, but I knew alot of those guys at the 160th.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

JohnP

I started life as an E-1 infantry soldier in 1961.  Made E7 in 1968 and W1 in 1969.  Retired 1984 as a W4, would have stayed longer if I knew they were coming out with W5.  Got re-called in 01 for 2 years and then later again for a short period of time which we aren't allowed to talk about.  On the recall I was with an organization supported by the 160th.  Couple of the guys who flew us around - Mike Durant, Cliff Wolcott aka Elvis and/or the Scud Hunter, not sure but I think the CO was Tom Matthews.  Cliff use to like to go deep into Iraq looking for scuds.  Do the names Beckwith, Boykin, Garrison mean anything to you? 

coyote101

John,

I met Mike Durant a couple of times after he became famous and met LTC Matthews once or twice before that. I did not know him, but Cliff Wolcott is buried in a local cemetary just outside of Hopkinsville. I know the other names but I never had the privilege of meeting any of them. I did however meet COL Danny McKnight a couple of years ago and got to hear him talk for several hours about the events in Mogadishu. Not surprisingly, he was not a fan of the guy who was Commander in Chief at the time.

Pat
NRA Life Member

JohnP

Pat I been following John's thread on salmon.  You and I need to go up there, I'll bet between the three of us we could tell some pretty good war stories and of course help him eat some of the salmon.  I got a pretty good story about Ollie North. 

Hawks Feather

I wasn't in the service, but I would love to hear the stories and (of course) eat.

Jerry

bigben

I'm with jerry.  My father went to school with Sergeant First Class Randall Shughart.  He would talk about him from high school days.  Black hawk down was the only movie dad ever wanted to see in theaters because of a classmates involvement in it. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Tikaani

John, Pat,

Would make for some great talk and bring back some good and bad memories.  Never really met any of the 160th guys, always picked up at night, haha.  Had and always will have great respect for Army Aviators.  John, you probably have more in common with my brother, he was an old 5th Grp guy out of Campbell for years.  I was out of Benning, just a raggedy "Batt Boy" out of the 75th  RNGR Regiment.

John

JohnP

I'm out the door, going to breakfast with a few of the "over the hill" guys, Tuesday morning ritual.  More lies told in two hours than in two weeks.  But sometimes later today I'll post a little story about Ollie North.  And Ben I knew Randy, a real American hero.  We tend to use the word hero all to often today but Randy and the guys on his team - Real American Hero's.  John we trained with the 75Th on numerous occasions and on real missions if we needed extra support they were our "go to" guys, in many aspects the best the military has to offer.  I too was with the 5th, 7th, 1st and a few others. 

bigben

Quote from: JohnP on August 02, 2011, 08:55:58 AM
And Ben I knew Randy, a real American hero.  We tend to use the word hero all to often today but Randy and the guys on his team - Real American Hero's. 

I agree john. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

WldWldWest

Pat
John
Tikanni

You Guy's are all my hero's! (I dont use the term lightly)

Thank you for your service!!!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

JohnP

So we don't hurt Semp’s feelings I need to tell a story about a Marine. You know they get their feelings hurt easily. 
Many years ago in a faraway land two US citizens, a missionary from Kansas and a missionary pilot from Florida were kidnapped along with some other non-US people and held hostage by a ruthless gang of two-bit mercenaries.  The host  country asked for our help in planning a rescue mission, of course we said yes.  We quickly assembled a team, flew to Washington and meet with the State Department.  During our meeting with the US Ambassador he made it quite clear that in no way, shape or form are we to involved in any direct conflict with these criminals we are to advise only.   Suffice it to say that the hostages were indeed rescued and a lot of bad men bled to death, those that didn't bleed to death later died of lead poisoning.  After everyone was safely back in the U.S.A.  We were summoned to the State Department  to brief the Ambassador-at-Large.  Also in the conference room were other people from the State Dept, CIA, NSA and the White House.   As we were all seated around the table the Ambassador said “ Major  tell us how things developed and how Delta was instrumental in the planning stage of the rescue?”  The Major gave him a quick overview and never once told a lie.   As the briefing was winding down a CIA guy, thinking he was doing us a favor, chimed in and told about the parts that the Major had left out.  The Ambassador blew his cork, telling all that this is totally unacceptable, no way were we to have participated in the way we did.  He went on to say that State had told the media that there was no US involvement and that we don't lie to the media.  By the way that was the biggest fib of the day!  He continued his rant and we all knew that we would be called back many times to answer more of his silly questions.  When  from the back of the room a nicely dressed man stood up and said in no uncertain terms:  Well, we at the White House are very pleased with the outcome of this operation.  We don't believe there is any problem with what Delta has done.” His manner was offhand and slightly superior, as if his was the final word on the subject.  As we walked out of the room someone asked Who was that guy that just saved our butt.” The reply “ Him, he’s a Marine Corps  major, detailed to the National Security Agency.  His name is Oliver North.” 

Okanagan

Great post, savvy told.  Thank you.  And thank you also for the story.

FinsnFur

I dont care if Semp likes that story or not, (but I'm sure he will)  I did! :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 02, 2011, 08:08:22 PM
I dont care if Semp likes that story or not, (but I'm sure he will)  I did! :eyebrownod:

Me too!

Jerry

WldWldWest

Semp know's he's my Hero.....I already told him so!!!

Cool story!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

KySongDog

So what's not to like about that story?   :confused:

Quote from: JohnP on August 02, 2011, 07:32:59 PM
So we don't hurt Semp’s feelings I need to tell a story about a Marine. You know they get their feelings hurt easily. 

Yes, Marines are very sensitive by nature.  I remember the DI's at Parris Island going out of their way to not hurt our feelings.  We did group hugs and sung Kumbaya before being tucked in for the evening. 

Tikaani

Kumbaya Semp, I always knew there was something touchy feely about Marines.   :alscalls: :alscalls: