• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Question for the board?

Started by cnichols33, February 26, 2007, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnichols33

I am new to this so please bare with me until I get a better understanding of what I'm doing. I have about 30 acres and it is surrounded by woods.  I would guess 150-200 acres that surrounds my property. One side is a field that runs all the way to the road about (500yards) the other is mixed hardwoods but is pretty thick except for what I have been able to bush hog. I also have a 2-3 acre pond that has a power line that is about 300 ft wide that runs  beside it. The rest of my property and the surrounding property is 20 year old planted pines.

I have deer hunted this property a lot. I have never seen a coyote while deer hunting. I have a couple of deer cameras up and have taken at least 2 pic's of coyotes. I have two questions.

Where would be the best place to set up and call?

I have tons of rabbits on my property. Does that mean I don't have many coyotes?

Here is one of the pics I have taken. I'm not convinced this is 100% coyote.

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site cnichols33. If you can, using the aerial maps button near the top of the forum, get a snap of the area and post an aerial shot of the country your referring to.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Welcome to the board cnichols33 Like Jim said post us a pic of the area you are in and we will give it a shot.

The pic  surely looks like a coyote. BLK and white star on the chest.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

cnichols33

Thanks! I found the aerial map but how do I put the post the image here? It won't let me save the aerial shot. What do I need to do to post it?

FinsnFur

Saving the google map images;

Bring up the image you want to save on the map.
Make sure it's centered on your monitor, and you can see everything you want in the pic.
Then Hit your "PrtScr" button.

Then open up your "paint" program. It'll be in Programs>accessories.
When your in paint click on the "edit" button near the top of the program window, and and then click "paste" from the menu it provides.

Walaa!.

Now click "file", then "save as", and save it somewhere on your pc.
But it will be in a .bmp format and a ridiculously large format. So after you save it you should be able to open it with whatever program your working with your photos there, and then save it from there as a .jpg file.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cnichols33

Let's see if this works.  The outline in red is my property. I can hunt all the wooded area around it. The pond in this pic is dry but it is full now.

cnichols33

FinsnFur

Just out of curiosity, why is that clearing cut around it in such a fashion?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cnichols33

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 26, 2007, 06:44:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is that clearing cut around it in such a fashion?

It is a High Voltage Power line. It is 300 ft wide.

cnichols33

Her is another piece of property I have to hunt. It is about 450+ acres. The same power line runs through it. It is about 10 miles from the other property. Thanks for the help!

GAJoe

Looks like very nice places to hunt. Hunt the power lines. In the woods they'll get down wind and bust you. Let the wind dictate where. You want the wind blowing from the direction you expect the coyotes to come towards you or at least a cross wind. Get on the edge of the power line with shadows cast on you cammo'ed very well.  A motion decoy helps keep their focus off of you.  GOOD LUCK!
GAJoe

cnichols33

Quote from: GAJoe on February 26, 2007, 07:44:09 PM
Looks like very nice places to hunt. Hunt the power lines. In the woods they'll get down wind and bust you. Let the wind dictate where. You want the wind blowing from the direction you expect the coyotes to come towards you or at least a cross wind. Get on the edge of the power line with shadows cast on you cammo'ed very well.  A motion decoy helps keep their focus off of you.  GOOD LUCK!
GAJoe

Come on guys!!! Nobody has any info besides GAJoe???? Give me your opinion....I promise I won't hold your feet to the fire. :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Everyone's out killin  :laf:

That first one is a tough one. I think if it was me, I'd try to set up close to the north end of that pond by the green circle. It'll put me good cover. If I had a partner I'd put him up the line a ways just tucked into the cover where the other circle is.

If using an e-caller, I'd put it up wind where the C is.

Assuming winds would dominate from West that'll force them towards you to get down wind of the caller and around the pond. If they come from across the power line, the other shooter will see em.

Just one one opinion  :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cnichols33

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 28, 2007, 01:24:28 AM
Everyone's out killin  :laf:

That first one is a tough one. I think if it was me, I'd try to set up close to the north end of that pond by the green circle. It'll put me good cover. If I had a partner I'd put him up the line a ways just tucked into the cover where the other circle is.

If using an e-caller, I'd put it up wind where the C is.

Assuming winds would dominate from West that'll force them towards you to get down wind of the caller and around the pond. If they come from across the power line, the other shooter will see em.

Just one one opinion  :wink:

FWI the wind 95% of the time is always blowing south. If you are looking at the pic, the top is Nortth. The Green circle to the left of the C is some what open because I have bush hog Most of it in that area. The other C is planted pines. Right now I don't have a e-caller but you can bring yours. :biggrin:

ohiobob

Where are you from cnichols33?

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

cnichols33

Well ohiobob I from just outside of Gadsden, Alabama. The pic's above were taken In Vidalia, Georgia.

ohiobob

Gadsden Alabama,,that city sounds familiar? is it where Buckmasters has their show/shoots and arent the bow champs from there? im not sure BUT Gadsden sounds familiar and i HOPE you get your hunting spot figured out because i SURE AS HELL havent figured the coyotes out in this part of Ohio :madd: :laf:

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

cnichols33

Quote from: ohiobob on March 04, 2007, 10:51:09 PM
Gadsden Alabama,,that city sounds familiar? is it where Buckmasters has their show/shoots and arent the bow champs from there? im not sure BUT Gadsden sounds familiar and i HOPE you get your hunting spot figured out because i SURE AS HELL havent figured the coyotes out in this part of Ohio :madd: :laf:

Bob

Gadsden, Al just hosted the Bassmasters. It is about 50 miles NE of B'ham off I-59. Ther are severl people from that area that are accomplished Bow shooters. Jackie Caudle and his wife are from there. A friend of mine Pete Works who shoots for Mathews is from there to.

LOL!!  :laf: On getting this all figured out! I new to PH but I love the outdoors and this is just another excuse to get me outside. :eyebrow: