• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My new DPMS Prairie Panther

Started by possumal, August 14, 2011, 09:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Here is a picture of my new DPMS Prairie Panther in 223 caliber.  So far, it looks like it is going to be a real shooter. It has a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 scope with Vplex Wide Illuminated reticle, 20" target grade barrel, 1 in 8 twist, 2 stage match trigger.  Didn't have a bore sighter, so I had to shoot at 25 yds to start, taking 8 shots out the truck window to get it halfway right at least, and then back to 100 yds with my bench, etc., and it took 12 shots to get it almost there, one more adjustment, and 4 shots exactly where I wanted them, easily covered by a dime.  I think I'm gonna like it, but the coyotes won't like it a bit.  :laf: :laf: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

riverboss

Great looking gun is it your first ar? If it is you will love it i justgot a Rock River for my second one it shoots great also do you reload? if so try some 60 gr or some 65 sieara sp for the 1/8 twist i hope you get a chance to see it perform soon ive seen your pics and read your post over the last few years and i know you know you stuff it wont take long for you to get it bloody.

possumal

Riverboss, no it is my 3rd AR.  I had a Bushmaster first, killed a double first time I ever sat down with it, and it would have been a triple if I had known about smacking the clip against your hand before smacking it into the rifle.  I ended up having to sell it when I had an operation. I had killed several doubles and one triple with it and several singles. Then I got a DPMS with a 16" Shilen barrel, and killed a couple the second day I hunted with it, and my middle son loved it so well, I let him have it so he could hunt some with me.  He was real familiar with the AR platform, having served in Operation Desert Storm as a marine sgt..  Then I ordered this DPMS Prairie Panther and I really like it already.

I am loading the 55 grain Sierra Blitz King and if it follows other calibers that I use their Blitz King bullets, I'll probably never leave them.  I shoot the 70 grain Blitz King in my Savage 243, and it is pure poison for coyotes, long range poison at that. The AR platform in this rifle is going to suit me better for bobcat, fox, and coyote in heavier wooded areas and in areas where I am not apt to get a shot over 250 yds, most of them under 100 yds.

Thanks for your kind comments about me knowing my stuff.  Others may not agree with you.  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

That is a very nice rifle, Al.   

HaMeR

Nice rig Al!! Congratulations on picking that one up!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

COYOTES BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

Good looking Stick Al!

Let us know when she draws blood!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

HaMeR

You're gonna have a hard time waiting for it to cool off now aint ya Al??  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

possumal

I'll be doing a lot of shooting with both the new AR and my Savage 243 in the next few weeks.  I want to make sure I have the best possible load worked out for the AR and I already have all that done on the Savage.  I do long for those chilly mornings that eventually change to my favorite time of year, cold as hell and grey skies. Ah, it'll be dandy! 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

riverboss

I hear ya Possumal i cant wait till it gets cold!

HaMeR

Well best of luck in the load development process!! Be Safe & enjoy!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

I'm sure you know this Al, I bet it would spin up some 68 grainers really nicely being a 1/8 and it may even shoot the 77gr pills good as well, but its usually hit or miss for the 77's out of a 1/8 but it would be worth a try. The Yotes hate it when sling the 77gr SMK's outta my MK 12 with a 1/7 twist!!!

Good luck!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!