• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Texas Drought Pictures

Started by FOsteology, September 04, 2011, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Mallardsr

A day of rain wouldnt fix that. Thats tough, but they are drilling water wells overseas with tax dollars so that should help. :mad3:

Yotehntr

I had no idea how bad it was there Fos.  I'd heard there was a drought, but no offense that looks like a 3rd world country.  I'll be putting Texas in my prayers for a return of normal weather.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

linemansteve

Texas has been moving alot of cattle through the markets due to no water and no hay. I've been told it could take up to 3 years
to recover from this, to get the cow numbers back up and to restore the grass lands. It's a very sad situation.   Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

FinsnFur

Wow, that is incredible :sad:
Did you take all those pics Fos?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Jay Janner of the Austin American Statesman took the pictures. I included the link at the top of the page. Additional pictures and story line found there.

It's pretty bad throughout Texas. In addition to the severe drought, we have had numerous wild fires. In fact, one is currently being battled not to far away from home. 14,000+ acres went up this weekend less than 50 miles away.

It's going to take several years to get back to where we were last year........ when (IF) it begins to rain.

Roundman

Hard to imagine a drought like that. Seems like the hay here has been cut 2-3 times this summer. It's got to be hard on the farmer to just  get out of bed.

FinsnFur

I couldnt get that link to the other site to load earlier, so I wondered if you took the pics. It works now.
Either way thanks for sharing them
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

JohnP

I sure can sympathize with those ranchers.  We are in our seventh year of a drought here in southeastern Arizona.  Many of ranches that I use to call on no longer have any cattle running on them.  The fires coupled with the drought have really been devasting to the ranchers out here.  I can imagine it's twice as bad in Texas. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

securpro

Thats unbeleivable  :sad: I had no idea it was that bad...Hard to imagine that here in the US. Was that a river in the third pic ?
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FOsteology

Quote from: securpro on September 06, 2011, 07:16:05 AM
Was that a river in the third pic ?

Cypress Creek arm of Lake Travis. Waterfront properties in this area of Lake Travis no longer have a view of water, and their boats and docks rest on dry land.

Most of those pictures were taken back in June and July. Obviously conditions are even worse.....

500+ homes have burned down less than 50 miles away from my residence in just the last 3 days. Firefighters are still battling the blaze. The air is right thick with smoke.....
Thankfully the wind has died down (was 20+mph and gusting to 40+ past couple days), makes it easier to contain the fires.

I feel for the families that have lost their homes.  :sad:

Wife and I made a trip this morning to the Costco in San Antonio. Filled up the back of my truck with cases of water. When the boys get out of school this afternoon, we'll make a trip up to Bastrop to deliver the water to have it distributed. Just a drop in the bucket in relation to grand scheme of the situation at hand..... but I trust it'll help a few folks out.

JohnP

Quote from: FOsteology on September 06, 2011, 12:43:48 PM
Quote from: securpro on September 06, 2011, 07:16:05 AM
Was that a river in the third pic ?
Firefighters are still battling the blaze. The air is right thick with smoke.....
Thankfully the wind has died down (was 20+mph and gusting to 40+ past couple days), makes it easier to contain the fires.

Fos - I can understand the smoke situation.  This is what we saw on the day we evacuated.  Our house is about 75yards away from the plume of smoke.  I think you can even see the little bird feeder in the bottom left corner.  I been in a lot of tight situations but nothing ever scared me like a wildfire, not a damn thing you can do to defend yourself or your property.  Let's all keep the firefighters in our prayers.

Hawks Feather

Like others I knew that the drought was bad, but some of those pictures are beyond words. 

Jerry

Roundman

Wish I could give ya the last few days of rain we've had. My back yard looks like a swimming pool right now. Hope relief comes soon for you guy!

FOsteology

Well, saw some of the devastation first hand. Tally is now in excess of 30,000 acres and over 600 homes gone. Looks like the Apocalypse....

FOsteology

John,

Yeah, I can not begin to imagine the anguish, sorrow and fear one must feel seeing a wildfire about to destroy their home and everything they've worked hard all their lives for go up in flames.

I don't recall seeing an update from you.... was the fire contained before marching over the hill to your home? I sure hope so, as God knows you've had more than your share of trouble and heartache piled upon your shoulders this past year.  :sad:

iahntr

Scott

JohnP

Our house was saved Fos.  However every tree and shrub was burnt to the ground the closest it came to the house was 10 feet and the furthest was about 15 yards.  The whole mountain side is nothing but black ash.  The firefighters stayed until the last minute at our place and barely beat the fire out the driveway.  The back of our house faces the mountain and now looks like some of the places I slept in many years ago.  The two sliding doors, two garage door and one regular door are all sandbagged about two feet high.  What little rain we get cause mud slides of gigantic portions.  I have a picture of the local bar I use to visit, at the end of our dirt road, I'll get it posted here in a little bit.  Nick's Saloon, I probably paid the mortage on this place in my younger days.
Although you can't see it our place is located bout a quarter mile behind the saloon and at the base of the hill you can see outlined in the back. 

FOsteology

Dang John..... That was cutting it close. Saved from the fire, but now have to worry about mud and erosion. Any assistance programs available to assist you with planting trees and shrubbery to help slow down the erosion??

Firefighters have the fire up the road from me 30% contained. Hopefully they'll get a better handle on it today. Last report was over 33,000 acres and 600+ homes destroyed.

FinsnFur

According to the news, todays weather down there finally gave firefighters the upper hand, and for the first time in a long time, there is a glimmer of hope.

Now let's here it from the natives...Fos?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers