• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

North Carolina hog guides

Started by bambam, October 23, 2011, 09:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

Hello everyone. Just wonder if any of you know a good hog hunting guide within 1 or 2 hours of Nags Head ? My daughter ( Lacie 23 ) wants to spear a hog and I want to start planning a hunt for next year. Thanks.

Hawks Feather

Spear! did you say Spear?  The only way I would spear a hog is if it were in Fos's trap and maybe not then.  You go Lacie!

Jerry

bambam

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 24, 2011, 09:16:51 AM
Spear! did you say Spear?  The only way I would spear a hog is if it were in Fos's trap and maybe not then.  You go Lacie!

Jerry

:laf: :laf: :laf: Yes , I did say spear. The girl got all excited when that hog charged us in Florida and wants a new challenge I guess.  :wo: :wo: I guarantee you I will be there with a gun if things go bad.  :wink: :wink:

Bopeye

There are 3 hog hunting lodges here in my area, but not sure if you would be willing to travel this far. Chet and I have occasionally coyote hunted one of them and they are loaded down in hogs. We hunt near another and have encountered a few hogs there as well. Not sure if the spear thing would be legal or not, but could find out if you like. I played football with the guy that is part owner of one of the lodges.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

bambam

Thanks Bopeye, how far are you from Nags head ?

Bopeye

Quote from: bambam on October 27, 2011, 02:59:33 PM
Thanks Bopeye, how far are you from Nags head ?

My Nag just walked past me, so it was just a few feet a minute ago. I am guessing about 25 feet at this point, otherwise I wouldn't have wrote this.  :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

bambam

Quote from: Bopeye on October 26, 2011, 10:05:51 AM
There are 3 hog hunting lodges here in my area, but not sure if you would be willing to travel this far. Chet and I have occasionally coyote hunted one of them and they are loaded down in hogs. We hunt near another and have encountered a few hogs there as well. Not sure if the spear thing would be legal or not, but could find out if you like. I played football with the guy that is part owner of one of the lodges.

It is legal to spear them, but I can only find a few guides who allow you to do it. What are the names of the lodges in your area ? Thanks.

coyotehunter_1

Hey, bambam
CARYONAH HUNTING LODGE / Crossville, Tennessee is the preserve where Bop and I sometimes coyote hunt.  I know the folks there are a good bunch, they will do you right.

www.caryonah.com/

Like Bop said there are several other places around the area but I know very little about them (You might try a Google search for Tennessee hog hunting). 

I don’t know about using a spear (you will need to contact the guides about that) but here is a list of legal weapons that can be used in Tennessee.

( Boar - Ram - Goat - Deer)
•  May be hunted with rifles or shotguns with slugs.
•  Rifles using rimfire ammunition or less than .24 caliber cannot be used.
•  Semi-automatics are allowed.
•  Handguns 357 caliber or larger.
•  Muzzle loaders, flint or percussion, 40 cal. minimum and 58 cal. maximum.
•  Bows.

Suggested Weapons
•  Guns: 30-30, 32 Special, 35, 30-06, 308, 270 and 44 Magnum, shotgun with rifled slugs.
•  Bows
•  Muzzle loaders

Good luck!
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

bambam

Thanks for the info coyotehunter_1.   My daughter and I had a bit of miscommunication. She said she wanted to spear one but when we talked this evening, it turns out she wants to knife one.  :shrug: :shrug: I guess she considers a knife and a spear to be the same thing. Must be her mother's Indian blood in her.  :iroll: :iroll: :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle: I have found several guides that kill them with knives. One is in Darlington , S.C. Pretty close to the beaches , so we will probably be able to go to the beach for a few days then drive over to hog hunt. I would still like to get a hunt in North Carolina if possible, even if it is in the western part of the state we could still go to the beach for a few days then head west. Thanks guys !!!!! 

coyotehunter_1

That's cool... a little surf and turf.  :laf:

Many, many moons ago I worked as a state licensed big game (hog) guide but those days are now past history for me. I've heard of a few brave souls around here that go the knife route but I never worked with anyone that did that. I would strongly recommend using an experienced, well known guide who has a strong track record for this type of hunting. Safety first, even a small tush hog can do serious damage.   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.