• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Grey fox down

Started by Frogman, November 09, 2011, 09:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Things have been very busy for me recently and I haven't been online much.  I have gotten out to call some in the past few days.  My neighbor across the road from me has been telling me that they have been hearing coyotes on his farm.  I have called this area quite a bit and called in one coyote, which I didn't shoot fast enough and killed two grey foxes there.  I decided to try it again.  I set up in some thick brush against a fence line watching out over a field.  The wind was in my face at about 8:00 AM.

This is the view I had.

The Mojo Critter decoy and Scorpion are about 75 yards out in front of me near that area of brush in the picture. 

I started out doing some fawn bleats with the mouth call then switched to fawn bleats on the Scorpion to get the sound away from me.  After calling for a while I changed to groundhog distress on the Scorpion.  I caught movement near the edge of the woods to the left in the picture and saw a grey fox come out of the woods and slowly approach the decoy.  It actually sat down and was just studying the decoy when I took the shot.

The fox is just above the muzzle of the rifle in the above photo.

Here you can see the decoy in the fore ground and the fox just beyond it.

The fox where it fell.  These grey foxes are really beautiful.

And the hero shot . . .

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

centerfire_223

That is a good looking fox. I love calling those little rascals in, they are so much fun to play around with. Congrats on the kill.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Hawks Feather

Nice images and write up.  Congrats on the fox.

Jerry

KySongDog

Congrats on the fox, frogman.    :congrats:

KyBoarSlayer

Hey Frogman,
its Billy Jack, you took me out hunting with Jason at LBL ! Hows it been ? Great job on the grey !  :congrats:
Looks like fun, Ive been out chasin whitetails, but I'm excited for some predator huntin'. Ive got lots of red fox around our area, and they sure are gorgeous. What load are you using in that AR these days anyways ? I notice the pelt has minima l damage to it, what bullet were you using ?

weedwalker

Way To Go Jim!! :congrats: Nice looking fox and good write up. :yoyo:

Frogman

Billyjack,

I shoot the 60 grain V-Max in front of 25 grains of Benchmark.  The fox was sitting still when I shot and I aimed for a head shot to minimize pelt damage.  Hit it in the right ear and exited just below the left jaw.  Very little damage.  I would like to claim that was just as I planned it, but I just got lucky with the good hit!?!?  The other two I killed at the same location a year or so ago were hit further back in the neck and had more damage.

Hey weedwalker, thanks for the call and visit when you were in Parkersburg.  I really enjoyed our lunch!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

riverboss

Way to go Jim! :yoyo: great looking fox and story.

FinsnFur

Nice work Frogger. He looks like a fat sumbiatch too. :eyebrow:
It's always fun when a grey comes in, they are literally insane. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Way to go Jim.  :highclap: :highclap: I have yet to get a fox. Thanks for sharing.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hidehunter

Way to go Jim!!  I havent been getting out much lately.  Love the greys.  I got a couple of them a few years back when their hides were going for $45.  I have no idea what they will go for this year.
Denver                                           

Biscuit

iahntr

Scott

wv_yoter

Jason

possumal

Good job, Froggie.  A lot of people think the grey fox is stupid since he can be called in numerous times on one stand.  I don't believe that at all; he is just a game little guy, much more aggressive than a red fox.  The red fox is a mortal enemy of the coyote and they fear them with a great fear.  The grey fears nothing and I have had plenty of them come charging in when the sound was a sequence I made a long time ago with Coyotes attacking a grey fox.  They come charging in to defend their kin with no regard at all for fear of the coyote.  In my opinion, they don't fear the coyote nearly as much as a red fox, because they can climb like a cat and get back under ledges where a coyote can't get them.  A coyote evidently considers the grey fox a delicacy like a cat, but every red I have ever seen killed in coyote rich country has been disemboweled and left, no sign of the coyote eating him.  I am not saying they would never eat a red, because you just don't say never where a coyote is concerned, but every one I have seen with his guts strung out was not eaten.  Farms where red foxes used to be plentiful are seldom seen now where coyotes have taken over their territory completely. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

kyfuzzyface

Looks like a winner Frogman  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Fuzzy

Okanagan

Yep, way to go.  I'll probably never get a grey fox.  Had my chance and shot arrows at some I called when we lived in CA, but never did get one.  I think they are really pretty.

HaMeR

Good shooting Jim!! Glad you got out & had a nice successful hunt. That is a nice looking Fox!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11