• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

success for ohio red fox

Started by ohiolinmn, December 02, 2011, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiolinmn

i'm looking for anyone with success calling reds in s.e. ohio. i've called in numbers of coyotes and greys but never a red. dying to get the last for my predator mounts. with all the distress calling among other sounds i've never even seen one answer the call  :shrug:

Hawks Feather

Hey HuntNCarve.  Guy here wants to know how you do it. 

Actually, check with Dave (HuntNCarve) and see if he has any of his fox calls left.  He has shut down production with his new job, but if he has one of his bellows calls left get it. 

Jerry

ohiolinmn

I do prefer hand calls  (and more than willing to purchase one) but also have a fox pro and curiouse about fox vocalizations. they seem to work with greys and coyotes. they claim reds are extremely nervous and don't look back at the first mistake. I will try to get in touch with huntNcarv

nastygunz

There's a few things online saying the Foxpro Mighty Mouse coaxer is good on red fox, there's a guy in PA or NY I think, who hammers the reds and swears by it.

HuntnCarve

For me, I've had more success using a coaxer call on red fox, verses a dying rabbit call.  It seems the skittish fox respond better to the lower volume, higher pitched calls in these parts.  Once I get one's attention with the coaxer, I'll switch to lip squeaks only.  They usually come running in at that point.  I'll pay attention to the wind, and stop them (with a bark) if they are venturing to the point where they will pick up my scent.  Take the shot at the range you and your weapon are most proficient.  I use a .22 magnum and like to get them in under 50 yards.  If hunting at night, use a red lense on your light. I use a hand held spotlight with a red lense which I've blocked off half the lense with card board and duct tape, so as not to cast too much light.  Keep the incoming fox in the periphery of the light (usually hold it above him) not directly on him.  I use a gun mounted red light for the shot, switching it on right before turning the spotlight off. -But always keeping the fox doused with red light.  I'll give a little "bark" right when I'm ready to shoot to stop him.  Then take the shot. I'll use shooting sticks if at all possible.  A fox is not really big in the body.  They're easy to miss if you are not steady.  If you do miss, pour on the lip squeaks, or give a few barks.  Sometimes they stop for a second shot.
I truly believe in these parts, that calling too loudly will cause the nervous fox to hold back.  I've seen them sit and stare from 200 yards out while using a cottontail distress call.  Switching to a rodent coaxer call, and softly blowing on it would bring them running. The lips squeaks would seal the deal.  Give it a try.

HuntnCarve
Dave

ohiolinmn

Sounds like I'm on the right track. I have the same night equipment but probably get to aggressive with the calling. With being successful with greys at night because of there running in responce with loud aggressive calling I'm just not giving the reds enough respect. it took me a long time to call coyotes, probably 2 or 3 winters and to stubborn to let them beat me and give up, I'm Shirlee not ready to quit on the reds. now i just need the orange army to finish up on the deer hunting.Thanks for all info. this time of year all i do is try to plan my calling for the winter