• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

howling for coyotes

Started by ohiolinmn, December 06, 2011, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiolinmn

I may be asking the same questions you have all heard many times before but that being said I'm always asking questions to other fellow hunters. I do alot of calling every year and trying to learn more about howling. I have mainly used distress calls over the past few years. now I'm wondering if anyone thinks if it  may be helpful to use more howling.I do realize that what works in one area  may not work in another but if i wasn't willing to keep trying different methods I may still be wondering aimlessly wondering if these things really exist :wo:. I did go to a well known predator expo and one of the speakers suggest no howling at all till late december thru February and that these are also the hardest times to call. the area is around here are high traffic areas for the other hunters I,m thinking that coyote sounds might be a little more enticing for some territorial responce. i usually one call 3 or 4 coyotes in a winter and looking for a new way to change it up and hopefully even up my success rate. as usual thanks for any input i try to put most methods to the test.

centerfire_223

I don't think it hurts to throw out some lone howls. It lets another coyote know that there is a coyote there. This can do two things, it can trigger a territorial response or a curiosity response. Either way you will be the winner.

Normally when I howl, I just start out the stand with a long howl. I normally do that a couple of times. Then wait a few minutes and start into some prey sound. I don't know if the howling is what is bringing in the coyotes or its the distress sounds. All I know is they come.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Carolina Coyote

I have called in a few Coyotes using only Howls and Barks, never seems to be anyone thing that is consistence, it all goes back to proper setup. cc

Hidehunter

Quote from: centerfire_223 on December 07, 2011, 03:03:28 AM
Normally when I howl, I just start out the stand with a long howl. I normally do that a couple of times. Then wait a few minutes and start into some prey sound.

This is usually the way I start 90% of my stands
Denver                                           

ohiolinmn

Thanks for the input. I could compare notes all day when it comes to coyote hunting but I'm pretty sure the ones around me get tired of hearing about it and not enough others stubborn enough to keep trying to outsmart them.

possumal

In my opinion, a non threatening howl will never hurt you on a stand, especially if it sounds like a young coyote. Many of your open reed calls work well for this. Just because you don't hear coyotes howling on their own, or answering your howls, it sure doesn't mean they won't come to investigate or socialize.  I'd guess that at least 75% of the coyotes that come in to a howl do so on the sly, but they do come.  They all hear, they all react, but they don't all respond.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

ohiolinmn

cant wait to get out and try the new ideas. finally have some better temps coming in and after never giving  howling a chance it will be a good change of pace

5 SHOTS

I have been having good luck howling all year. In the winter months, (mid December until March) I like to use an older adult sounding female (or so the list says) and a young male howl. In the late summer and fall I use a lot of young aggressive sounding howls and trigger a lot of "get out of my yard" responses. If after about 10 minutes I get no responses then I go to the distress sounds. One of the best days I ever had, we didn't use a single distress sound.

Edit to add; About half the time they don't make a sound on the way in, but they usually come in fast.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

ohiolinmn

giving it a try in just a couple hours. and probably many more tries this weekend

possumal

I've had a lot of coyotes who did howl fool me bad, thinking they were a big old male, and it would turn out to be a female.  They don't all sound the same by sex or age.  We like to think a sweet young female sounds high pitched and inviting, but I have heard them with a heavy sounding howl that made me think they were males. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

"I've had a lot of coyotes who did howl fool me bad, thinking they were a big old male, and it would turn out to be a female.  They don't all sound the same by sex or age.  We like to think a sweet young female sounds high pitched and inviting, but I have heard them with a heavy sounding howl that made me think they were males. "
------------------------------------------------------------------
The old Possom speaks truth. Howling works all year around, and you can not tell the sex of a coyote by pitch of a howl  Try lonesome, friendly howls like this. http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/LoneHowlRC.mp3
That howl is one recording of a Cronk Voice howl/
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

ohiolinmn

Well some success the first time howling. started at day break with a couple lone howls then an interrogation howl few minutes later had an answer. I responded with another interrogation  few minutes another responce. in the mean time I start hearing hounds a couple ridges to my right and getting closer then I start hearing trucks pulling up the road couple ridges to my left then more hounds strike a track wear i had the responces from the coyote. guess what? THE CHASE WAS ON! on the bright side I did see the coyote at full stride with dogs close behind. I did stop and B.S. with the guys turn out I was sitting in the middle of 20 guys and who knows how many dogs. Oh well that's the way it goes sometimes. maybe better luck next time.

FinsnFur

Yeah that could get a little dangerous. :laf: Maybe the dogs were after your howl :whew:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com