• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Big bores

Started by Mallardsr, December 09, 2011, 06:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Just keep in mind that weight is just one aspect of felt recoil. Design, ergo, cast, etc. of a stock (and how it fits each individual) plays a tremendous role in the amount of felt recoil.

Hawks Feather

.223 Rem. (55 at 3200)   7   4.1
.223 Rem. (55 at 3200)   8   3.6
.223 Rem. (55 at 3200)   8.5   3.3

Here is the same weight bullet, at the same velocity, but with different weights for the firearm.  So, yes the simple answer is the more the firearm weights the less recoil will be felt.  Put that .223 round in a 50 pound bench gun and the amount of recoil will be practically nothing. 

As Fos stated, there is more to felt recoil than just the amount of force that comes from the firing of a bullet.  http://kwk.us/recoil.html  This is a pretty good place to learn a little more about recoil.  Felt recoil varies with each person - their body mass, bone structure, and ability to "accept" recoil is another.  For example, if a firearm is fired by a youth of 75 pounds the recoil will (seem to be more) than if the firearm is fired by a 200 pound adult.  The actual recoil from the firearm is the same in both cases, but the additional body mass will help.  There are so many other variables that can affect the felt recoil.  I am sure that porting and a quality recoil pad will help.  Another big factor is if you are sitting at a bench firing away or if you are taking a shot at a trophy animal.  Recoil would be the same but as soon as that trophy is in your sights you seldom feel any recoil. 

Fos mentioned fit and that is very important.  When I was about 17 I was used to shooting a 12 gauge and when a 16 gauge Ithaca Featherweight came into the hardware store where I worked came in on trade I wanted to try it before buying it.  I took a box of shells, some clay birds, another kid to throw the birds, and headed out.  That gun did NOT fit me at all and after about 15 shells I quit shooting.  The results of those 15 shells was bruising that went down my arm to almost my elbow and across my chest to the center.  For others that gun fits them and they have no problem, but I don't want to shoot one again.

Jerry

bigben

I have the same problem.  A local gun shop has a 10ga single shot for 100 bux.  interchangable chokes as well.  its really bugging me.  but christmas shoping is getting in the way at this point. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Mallardsr

I read somewhere that the guide guns were not intended as a primary hunting weapon, but as a "guide gun", an emergency backup to a primary weapon. What does this mean? What response would any of you Guide gun owners offer up?

slagmaker

Weapon of last defense. Where breaking your shoulder so that you can stop a charging ______ is your last option. My uncles best friend let  me shoot one  of his nitro express guns when I was a teen. It was "fun" but not something I am gona do again unless I got to stop a huge chunck of meat that wants to stop me from living.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

What's really fun is doubling on those big bore double rifles.  :innocentwhistle:

Tikaani

Mallardsr,
I do not as of yet own one, my son purchased one recently and he uses it as protection when fishing and camping on remote rivers.  He uses Buffalo Bore' 430gr. Hard Cast Penetrator ammunition, 4690 foot pounds @ the muzzle, 3926 @ 50 yards.  It is designed I quote "for game where 5 to 6 feet of straight line non-expanded penetration is needed, loosely translated, your about to become a bear turd.

The Marlin can be used as a hunting rifle however, three friends also have them and use them to hunt moose using lesser loads.  Remember you can also shoot standard 45-70 Gov,== Remington 300gr JHP, 1492 foot pounds @ 100 yds, the ballistics to not come close to Buffalo Bore ammo.  Johnny (Semp) got to use a friends while sheep hunting up here (he was on bear watch, funny how that works, the guy visiting gets handed the bear gun and is on bear watch).  It is a great rifle that can be used for all types of game depending on the ammo you choose.  Having just bought a T/C Triumph Bone Collector edition muzzleloader, I have to wait, but it is the very next gun on my list without a doubt. 

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Mallardsr

The gun I am looking at buying is ported. The new ones are not. Which one is preferred? :shrug:

HuntnCarve

I would definitely go with the "ported".  It will be considerably louder, but the recoil will be more reduced and manageable.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Ported firearms are louder for the shooter, but even more so for those on either side of the porting.

Jerry

FOsteology

Yeah, I'm not a fan of ported nor muzzle braked rifles.  :puke:

KySongDog

No ported guns for me.  Too loud and I don't think they tame muzzle jump that much anyway.

Mallardsr

I don't know what to say. I could not resist the temptation. Not enough moral support I guess. I am now a proud owner of a 1895m marlin .450 lever action. Now to find a target rich environment. Thanks for feedback. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

slagmaker

Target rich environment? You mean like a Al-Queda incampment?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Congrats!  Let us know how it shoots.  (Not that it goes bang, but more in depth reporting: accuracy, loads, recoil, targets, things exploding when hit, etc.)

Jerry

Mallardsr

I am on it, but will be the weekend at best.

KySongDog

Ya gotcha a LBL coyote gun for sure now.   :yoyo:

HaMeR

Quote from: Semp on December 13, 2011, 05:10:43 AM
Ya gotcha a LBL coyote gun for sure now.   :yoyo:

Yessir you do Reggie!! Those damn saplings had better beware now!!  :eyebrow:

:confused: Or was that somebody else that was shooting them??   :innocentwhistle:

Either way you got yourself a brushbuster for sure!! Congratulations on picking up the new rifle.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Quote from: Mallardsr on December 12, 2011, 11:07:24 AM
I don't know what to say. I could not resist the temptation. Not enough moral support I guess. I am now a proud owner of a 1895m marlin .450 lever action. Now to find a target rich environment. Thanks for feedback. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Darn! Late again.  :doh2:
I was going to talk ya outta getting it .......

..... NAWT!  :alscalls:
Looking forward to the review.  :biggrin:  :eyebrow: