• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Scouting Tips????

Started by Hidehunter, December 20, 2011, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidehunter

I have found a good spot with a bunch of coyotes on our National Forest here in WV and I am having problems trying to figure out where to set-up on them at.  These are all mountains with a hollar and thicket around every corner.  I hear the dogs in a different spot everytime.  I cant narrow it down as to where they are bedding and running because its always different and they go everywhere.  This is BIG country and its all timber.  Only foot travel and horseback or bicycles allowed so they are not pressured at all.  I know its hard to give advice if you cant see it but what do you guys think?
Denver                                           

SCcoyotehunter

I would look for travel paths with tracks coming and going, maybe an increase in scat in the travel areas. If you have a topo map look for travel routes such as bottom lands. Any grassy places llike fields?
Good Luck,
SCCH

weedwalker

If you get there early in the morning, try using a siren to locate them. They will usually howl back at it but not come in on it. It helps a lot in big woods where they can be anywhere. Then set-up accordingly with the wind and stay high on the ridges where your scent isn't swirling all around. I like to stay high and call down into the hollows.

centerfire_223

I hunt WV from time to time and I know what you dealing with. What I do up there is get on the main ridge or what I call the back bone ridge. Then I will call every finger ridge that comes off of that. Just go back and forth from side to side. If you can figure out what I am saying. Another thing I have found out is coyotes like to run the flats or benches that run around those ridges. All this stuff you probably already know, I hunt the same way as this at the LBL.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Hidehunter

Quote from: SCcoyotehunter on December 20, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
Any grassy places llike fields?

No fields at all.  There are a couple open areas that are about 40 yards across and thats the closest to a field.

Quote from: weedwalker on December 20, 2011, 09:23:43 PM
If you get there early in the morning, try using a siren to locate them.

I actually was up there yesterday evening and using a siren and heard nothing.  I havent tried it early in the morning yet.  One thing is about 10 miles through the woods is a small town with a fire dept and their siren is going off all the time. Do you think the dogs get used to hearing that off in the distance and just dont answer it as much anymore?

Quote from: centerfire_223 on December 21, 2011, 04:07:41 AM
What I do up there is get on the main ridge or what I call the back bone ridge. Then I will call every finger ridge that comes off of that. Just go back and forth from side to side.

This is kinda my norm for hunting in these areas to but in this country the fingers are just another big ridge.  Its actually hard to distinguish which one would be the main ridge.  I wish I could post a topo.  I thought about just going through the woods making different stands and calling into different hollars.  I was just afraid I would educate a whole bunch of dogs that way but Im not putting any fur down any other way lol.
Denver                                           

centerfire_223

That is exactly what I would do, just make sure to get the wind in your favor. You shouldn't educate them anymore than any other way. Good luck!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-