• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Any FnF Scotch Drinkers? Step Inside...

Started by FOsteology, December 23, 2011, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

I'm fairly well versed in the Speyside and Highland single malts (hic), but been contemplating venturing outside my comfort zone.

What would be your recommendation for an introductory Islay scotch for an individual that is not accustomed to the tremendous peat, smoke, and iodine this regions offerings are renown for? Something that is not a "peat monster" that whacks you between the eyes! I tried a glass of Laphroaig (10yr I think ???) a few years ago.... THAT will put hair on your chest!
The wiff alone damn near scorched me nose hairs!  :laf:

FinsnFur

I wont touch the stuff. :nono:
There's not much I like more then to set down and enjoy a beer with my supper or over good times with some friends, but the Scotch...noooo way.

I cant believe I'm saying this but the last time I had Scotch was the only time I had Scotch. The construction crew I was working with at the time decided they was going to haul me off to the pub for a Happy Birthday after work.
Who was I to argue? :shrug:
They talked me into periodical shots of Scotch as the night went on.
They have video of me sneaking into the girls restroom and singing Christmas carols to the women in the stalls.
...more then once :doh2:

Never again... :sick2:
I can recall the Scotch cause it was NASTeeeee, but thats about all I remember. :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

You sure you were drinking single malt scotch??? That sort of behavior and escapades sounds more like what occurs when one starts slamming tequila!  :alscalls:

When the night gets to the point where shots of tequila sound like a good idea, I know it's time to go to bed. Slamming shots of tequila has its consequences!!!

FinsnFur

:alscalls: :alscalls: NNNNNice

When any shot sounds like a good idea, it's time for bed.
I wont even consider tequila. never drank it , tasted it once with a wet finger but never drank any. That stuff will never be in my mouth again.  :puke:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FOsteology

A good quality sipping tequila is very nice. I'm partial to Don Julio 1942 and Herruderra Selection Supreme

George Ackley

FOs
when i drink Scotch i like
Bowmore
Glenmorangie
Johnnie Walker Blue

dont ask me about scotch not into it as you are but i like  good scotch and i realy like it with good  weed
:biggrin:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

iahntr

Scott

George Ackley

Hidehunter

I though good weed went hand in hand with a big bag of cheetos and a couple episodes of The Simpsons LOL.  Nah I've never been a scotch drinker.  Back in the day I used to call tequila 'Liquid Dance' because shortly after some tequila this white boy would be a dancin' no matter what kind of music was playing.  Its funny because I know I cant dance but after some tequila I would be doin moves that havent even been invinted yet.  And then the next morning... :puke:  Anymore its just coffee, iced tea and Coke Zero for me lol.
Denver                                           

FOsteology

Merry Christmas to me!  :biggrin:

Couldn't help myself as it was on sale for under 70 bucks.

coyotehunter_1

:highclap: Bet that will get'er done, handle with care.  :wink:

I'm not a scotch drinker... but now and then (for medical purposes) I do partake of a little Tennessee sipping whiskey or a sniffer of Rum of the islands. 

Merry Christmas, FOs  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

George Ackley

FOsteology

Yeah George, hard to go wrong IMHO with any of the Speyside or Highland offerings. Balvenie, Macallan, Glenmorangie, Highland Park, Glenlivet, etc. are well stocked and represented in my wet bar.  :biggrin:

Going to crack open the Glenmorangie 18yr tomorrow.
This evening the daughter and I are polishing off a 50ml sample bottle of Glenfiddich 15yr. and cracking open a 200ml gift bottle of Johnny Walker Gold.
I'm usually not a fan of the various blends. However, I readily admit that some of the various blends are surprising good. However, purely on a philosophical level I think its just a damn shame mixing single malts. YMMV

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

George Ackley

Extreme rare

some time it just means vintage . some times it mean how it was finished and sometime how it was sold and to who

bottom line is this shit drinks GOOD! 

FOs as a contractor i would end up with 5 or 6 good bottles at this time each year they are great gifts to get and to give...

i have a couple REAL GOOD ONES PUT AWAY

1971 Bowmore

FOsteology

You right about that George. Getting gifts of small bottles of scotch, tequila, and even cognac during the holidays is how I've learned to branch out and appreciate a wide range of spirits I likely would not have previously purchased for myself.

Just within the past week I've been gifted a couple bottles (200ml) of both Johnny Walker Gold and Blue, and a set of Glenfiddich (12yr, 15yr, and 18yr. 50ml bottles) and The Balvenie (12yr. Double Wood, 15yr., and 21yr Port Wood 50ml bottles).

The Balvenie 21yr Port Wood goes without saying..... unbelievably fine.  :biggrin:

FOsteology

Every once in awhile one needs to splurge and treat themselves to something nice.

Coulter

Yikes...I'm with Jim on this one. I'll never touch the stuff again. There's just something about not being able to find your way back to shore while fishing out of a jon boat at the mouth of a creek that empties into Lake Erie that doesn't really sit well with me anymore. :innocentwhistle: That and rowing back to the launch with the anchor down. Though, the real kicker is relieving myself in the dirty clothes basket at 4 in the morning and blaming the dog. The wife didn't appreciate that one too much :shrug: Yep, I won't touch that stuff again.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers