• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Penna Farm Show

Started by Dave, January 13, 2012, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I went up to the PA Farm Show a few days back.  I was in the stadium for the horse pulling contests and snapped a few pics. 
Obviously I needed more light.
Here are the winners of the lightweight competition - I believe they pulled 9,500 pounds

And the winners of the hvyweights pulled 12,500, I believe - here they are

One of the lightweight horses that just finished pulling a 6K pound sled dropped like he was shot, while walking away from the sled.  I thought he got tangled in the harnesses, and then the other horse continued dragging him a few feet.  As people gathered around him, he continued kicking and thrashing, but seemed like he was slowly giving in to what ailed him.  A few loud groans bellowed through the stadium and then there was no movement (not sure whether the vet sedated him, or he died right there). 

They ended up getting the forklift with a sheet of plywood over the forks, rolled him on, and hauled him out.  He sure looked like he was dead by now. 

Later found out he had a heart attack. 
Felt pretty bad about it as you could see a couple of the younger kids and adults who must've worked with him being real upset.  I'm sure tons of time and effort go into working with these huge horses, and to lose one like this must tough.

FinsnFur

Wow, I would love to see an old horse pull like that. Not quite like that one but you know what I mean. :sad:

I was thinking heart attack as I got about halfway through reading it. Once you confirmed it I had to ask myself how much of a workout the horses actually got from day to day cause they kind of look like show horses.
Unfortunate none the less.
Thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

Horse today.... hamburger tomorrow.   :sad3:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hidehunter

Thats horrible about the horse.  Alot of work and money go into these.  We have belgiums and percherons and some draft mules.  Getting ready to go do some video taping of a pair of draft mules we just got and are training.  Not looking forward to it today.  6" of fresh powder and 20 degrees.  We generally dont show our horses but use thenm for hunting and occasionally logging.  Here are a few pics of me and my horses.

My new belgium cross colt

Denver