• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Spent 2 days in Kentucky and had a blast...

Started by Hidehunter, June 02, 2012, 11:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidehunter

I boated a 30,31,33,33,38,42,42,45.  Water hit 80 while I was there so didnt take any fish outa water unless it was over 40.  The ones I did get a quick pic of swam off great though.

Denver                                           

possumal

I'll guarantee you that those rascals got the kinks out of your line.  Glad you had a great day.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan

OK, I gotta ask.  I've never seen a muskie, never fished where there were any as far as I know,  nor met anyone who ever caught one.  I grew up reading that they are so hard to catch that experts would fish all year to catch one or two.  And then along comes Hidehunter.... !

Is this a new breakthrough in lures, tactics, or phenomenal ability in Hidehunter?  Is it the difference between muskies farther north and southern muskies?  Is it a different strain of fish?  To say I am impressed is a major understatement!  You da MAN!

I am going to northern Saskatchewan in a few days and will get in some fishing for walleye, pike and lake trout.  I have no idea if muskies are even in the lakes we will fish.

If there are muskies there, any last minute tips capable of being shared on the internet?  (No problem if you don't want to give up hard learned info.  I don't tell all on the internet myself.)

Hidehunter

They are the fish of 10,000 casts.The first Musky I hooked (but didnt land) was caught by acident while striper fishing.  From that minute on I was obsessed.  I had nobody to teach me anything.  I keep logs of every time i am on the water.  I am constantly learning new things.  I had 223 hours on the water before I caught my first one.

One of the hardest things about musky fishing is finding out where they are at on that particular day.  These fish can hug the banks, lay off points or be sitting 20 feet deep over 50 foot of water right out in the middle.  Ya just have to find a pattern.  If you move one fish hugging the bank then keep pounding the banks because there will be more.

I eat,sleep and breath Muskys nowadays.  I didnt even turkey hunt this year because of these fish.  I catch 90% of them on my own Baits like the ones I post pics of.  You just got to keep throwing lures whether ya see anything or not and figure 8 after every cast.  The best advice i can give ya is use a heavy pole/at least 80 lb braid/stainless steel leader.  Keep your hooks razor sharp...you dont want to go through all that work to finally get one to eat and lose it because of dull hooks.

As far as advice on where you will be fishing, thats hard for me to do because I dont know water temps, depth or anything about that place.  I would think that there will be some fresh signs of weed growth up there at about this time.  If thats the case and the weeds are just now starting to come up I would hammer them.  Weeds supply cover and better O2 in the water.  This will work for Pike to.  Always keep your eye open for plentiful baitfish to.  If ya find the baitfish then the muskies wont be to far behind.  Good Luck!!
Denver                                           

Okanagan

Thank you!  That is excellent info.

Sounds to me like the answer to my question is that you have developed extremely high skills.

We will catch a PILE of pike in N. Sask. and likely plenty of walleye.  Will ask if there are musky and try for one if I get a chance.   

I was canoeing in the boonies of Manitoba years ago when some kind of BIG fish ate a half grown duck about 30 yards from me.  Always wondered if it was a musky or a huge pike.  A mama duck and three big ducklings were swimming near shore when there was a big spashy swirl and only two young ducks left with the squawking frantic mama duck.

possumal

Okanagan, my fishing buddy and I caught several muskies while fishing Lake of the Woods several years ago. I do think you are ahead of the game with a wire leader.  They'll roll and cut mono line.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan

How long of a wire leader do you use?  I know nothing about musky and will go with wire, only wonder what length is best?

We had to use wire leader for sharks in the Pacific.   The edges of a blue shark's flat, serrated teeth will shave hair on your forearm.   I preferred nine feet or longer braided wire leaders because they would roll up in the line and their sand paper hide would abrade through line within seconds. 

For pike and walleye, at first I used a wire leader, then went to monofil just to see what would happen.  That was several hundred fish ago and so far none have cut my line, though I don't doubt that it does happen.  All of the locals I know use wire leader.  If I am a guest, I usually rig with whatever they rig.  When fishing alone however, I have used monofil because it seems like I get more strikes on the less visible monofil. 

possumal

I think we used about a 4 ft. wire leader.  That has been a long time ago though, and that may be wrong.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hidehunter

Musky teeth will cut through 100 lb mono like butter.  You can use 100lb or bigger flourocarbon and its not to bad.  Visability doesnt make a difference Musky fishing.  They could care less.  As far as what size leader it depends on what lures you are throwing.  if throwing big musky cranks then a 12" wire leader will be just fine. 
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Now thats a PILE of Musky's :yoyo: WHOOOoo!
I've never caught one...but I know some of these inland lakes here are loaded with em.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

lacie23

WOW, those are some big fish !!  Great job !!

iahntr

That was a heck of a couple days !!  Wow :highclap: :highclap:
Nice !  :yoyo:
Scott

weedwalker

Looks like you had a great time at Cave Run!! :highclap:

Hidehunter

Yeah I sure did.  I had fished it before but never had as good of luck as I did this time.
Denver