• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spiderwire vs Sufix

Started by FinsnFur, July 22, 2012, 12:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Denver you mentioned having concerns over the fish seeing the Sufix line and after picking up a spool this morning I can definitely see why. :eyebrownod:

The top one is Sufix 832®, and the bottom is Spiderwire Stealth. Big difference :doh2:
I'm already giving it a thumbs down for that

I havent fished it yet. I'm planning to tomorrow morning. I just picked up a spool this morning on my way back on.

Another thing I noticed though was the difference in diameter. Sufix 832 seems to be considerably larger in diameter then Spiderwire. Even though both spools said it was the equivalent of 6lb mono.

I use a USReels® Wide Spool reel.

175 yards of advertised 6lb equivalent diameter Spiderwire will typically fill this spool an 1/8 of an inch from the outside lip.
You can see in these next photos that 175 yards of advertised 6lb equivalent diameter Sufix 832 filled it right to the edge of the lip. Theoretically it's over full.

First couple of casts are going to be a nightmare until I get that line wound a little tighter and hopefully it sucks it back behind that lip. Otherwise it'll be Backlash City :eyebrownod:
It's not worth leaving 50-75 feet on the spool, or throwing it away so what'r ya going to do. I just wanted to show the difference.

Sifix 832 is bragging the ability to endure abrasion all over the packing and hopefully that holds true.
Spiderwire don't really mention it, but I've lived with the consequence of it NOT being able to withstand much abrasion.

...too be continued
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hidehunter

I have never used the smaller Sufix.  All my line is 80-100lb test.  I am sure you will fall in love once you get settled in.  As for abrasive resisance...I have always had to trim the ends of my line with spiderwire and powerpro right before my leader.  That part of the line is subject to more abuse and the Sufix frays considerable less than the competition.  That color wont stay on that Sufix very long either.  It fades very quick. That was actually one of the things the critics said bad about it.  Personally I like it better once it fades.  I just strictly use the 'ghost' color now though.  Let us know what ya think about it.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Yerah I'm not real concerned about color anyway, since I'm not lake fishing up here. I'm fishing in some of Wisconsin's filthiest rivers. The Mississippi, and the Wisconsin. So I doubt they see the line like they would in a nice lake.
I went out this morning for a while in the rain, (boy it felt good) and casted for nearly two hours looking for some bass. Tried every set up I had and only had one strike.

I then reverted to jigging a coffee flavored tube in the rocks and gave the Sufix the ultimate abrasion test, since I ran a 3/8s ounce jig hook into the tube. :eyebrow:
She found her way down into many crevices below the surface. And I finally started pulling some little Smallies out.

The end of the line always gets tore up pretty good, I agree. And this was no different, actually maybe a little worse cause of the current taking the line past the crevice that the jig dropped into, which then force it to drag across the edges with the weight of the jig on the way out.
I'm with you. I trim the ends too, and usually around every 50 - 60 casts. But I believe that the last eye in the rod top plays a role in some of the wear and fray too. Especially if your like me and cast with the same amount of line out each time. That particular spots takes a beating.

I didnt break any line this morning with it. I DID straighten a few hooks getting stuck in the rocks though. :wink: I wrap the line around a little stick or something and pull real slow when that happens and most of the time I can get my tackle back. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

Spiderwire is also kinda flat compared to suffix. I liked power pro compared to spiderwire.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hidehunter

I have a couple buddies that throw power pro. I had some bad luck with it is why im not a fan. I got one spool of 100lb test and i could break it by pulling it with my bare hands when i got hung up. That put a bad taste in my mouth for power pro. Same thing happened to my brother in law. I got the line at wal-mart so that may have had something to do with it.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Same here, I seen it used once and only cause a buddy bought some since he couldnt afford the Spider Wire.
He hooked a log with a crankbait and broke the line with his hands trying to pull it out.
It's cheaper for a reason. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers