• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

CZ 527 .223 CARBINE

Started by nastygunz, September 20, 2012, 06:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

After doing a little gun closet shake up I have this sweet little CZ 527 carbine in .223, took her out today, shoots, great, looks great, light as a feather, great trigger and has a set trigger that is featherlight on the pull, Me Like!

possumal

Nice looking rifle, Nasty one.  If you plan on coyote hunting with it, better stop by Sportsman's Warehouse and get some of that camo wrap and get rid of the shine.  Won't hurt your finish one bit either.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nastygunz

Well I was gunna just rub some corn field mud and cow chit on it but that sounds like a good plan too ! :yoyo: :wink:

KySongDog

At the ranges you shoot 'em, Al, camo doesn't really matter does it?     :wo:

nastygunz

On the subject of camo guns...I own several and like em..but alot of game was taken and still is without camo guns...IMHO whilst it might get you busted...I do not think to many critters stop and say " damn a shiny gun barrel!"...in my case in NH/VT I almost always hunt in the woods and no sunshine is on me or my gun..however as for turkey hunting then I do like a camo gun cuz being birds they key in on color alot and my last 2 I have shot eyeball to eyeball with me  :yoyo:...Possumal I think you should have to hunt with a solid chrome gun with maybe some pimpin racin stripes to give them poor coyotes a chance sir !

FOsteology

Those are fun little rifles. I had one in 7.62x39 awhile back. I had Roy Bertalotto of RVB Precision convert the exposed, rather ugly, drop down magazine to a more flush modern looking unit and re-contour the trigger guard.

possumal

Fellers, I have a dear friend who has hunted rabbit, quail, doves, groundhogs, and coyotes with me from time to time, and I told him over and over to get rid of the shiny rifle for coyote hunting.  His theory was that there are all kinds of shiny things in the woods, and therefore a shiny rifle shouldn't matter that much.  I disagreed then as I do now, but took him to a good spot down in Anderson County, heavily wooded with lots of logging roads scattered throughout.  I called in what was one of the most beautiful male coyotes I have ever seen in my life, and Ron should have had no problem cracking him at about 70 yds.  One little glare off that shiny rifle as he turned to shoot, and that big rascal deassed that place as only a coyote can do.  He became a believer and got him some camo wrap after that.  I know this coyote was the alpha male of that whole farm, and had the most beautiful winter coat I have ever seen, like a fur coat over another furcoat, real prime stuff.  He may never again get a chance at a coyote of this quality. My question is why take an unnecessary gamble?  The really exceptional coyotes are extra hard to come by so you need to get the job done.

Semp, I shoot some at long range, no question, but they'll spook way off just as quick if they see a shine where there isn't supposed to be one.  I've killed my share up close and still enjoy that, but I'd have to admit I get a bigger kick out of busting one or two that never know what happened. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

CCP

QuoteOne little glare off that shiny rifle as he turned to shoot

as he turned to shoot

as he turned to shoot

as he turned to shoot

I only use my chrome and shinny guns  on  frosty morning or after a good dew and the sun shines across all those glimmering H20 droplets. It makes the coyotes think there is an army of shiny guns trying to kill them from every direction and they don't know which one is my shinny gun barrel.So in essence it is camouflage on days like that. Problem is the coyotes run one way then the other and keep twisting and turning trying to get away from all the shinny stuff.

Or keep your gun barrel and body out of the sun and don't move unless the coyote is looking the other way. This is actually a good thing to do even while using a gun with a Ghillie suit wrapped around it.

Damn nice CZ you got there. I have never owned one but have shot several and really like them and there triggers. As FOS stated my only complaint was the look of the mag.I would love to have one chambered in 218 bee or K-hornet.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

possumal

I guess you'd have to say "As he turned to shoot" since the coyote stopped for a looksee to his extreme right.  Old Ron was well camoed himself, and sitting in the shade, but that mirror he called a rifle passed through a sun ray and it was like Indians sending mirror signals to each other. He did the instant wheel and deal like only a coyote can. I feel sure old Wiley didn't see Ron's subtle move, but he damn sure saw that mirror signal.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nastygunz

Geezus after taking my CMMG Ar15 out for some gunnery exercises today I am not so sure about the CZ....the M4 shoots like a DREAM...pop..pop..pop..pop... :eyebrow:

CCP

QuoteI am not so sure about the CZ....

I can PM you the address of my FFL???  :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

nastygunz

I wouldn't burden you with that shiny old thing ... :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

That is an exceptionally pretty rifle.  Love the grain in the stock.

As to camo, I have a custom Mauser 6mm with a similar looking stock and a 26 inch heavy barrel, mirror polished finish.  I taped white cloth for camo on it for winter calling coyotes when I was going at it for fur.  For bare ground I left it as it is, but avoid sitting in sun for calling anything.  Last time I got sloppy and let the sun move onto my face it cost me a called moose.

Re shiny:  when hunting sheep above timberline my partner was nearly a mile away on the next mountain, carrying a shiny new Ruger 77 with gloss scope.  The winks and flashes in the sunshine amazed me.  He was wearing camo and very hard to see even with binos except for the flashes.  I kept track of him easily all morning as long as he moved.

Not taking a side on this because I do it both ways, so the anecdotes are merely FWIW.  I prefer matte finish of some kind on big game serious hunting rifles (Parkerized was excellent) and have shiny predator calling rifles!  :shrug:

Added:  that flier on shot #7 disqualifies it as worthy of your gun collection.  Fos doesn't like the magazine and to make a truly clean break with such a dissapointing item, send it to me to get it farther away from you than CCP!

HaMeR

:confused: yeah but I can give it a great home here alongside another CZ 527 7 it will have great company next to the 221 FireBall. Heck maybe it's little bro can teach it how to avoid those nasty #7 fliers!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

On the camo gun . . .

+1 with Okanagan.  I too was out calling here in WV a couple years ago.  I was well elevated on the side of a hill and looking out over a couple of large hay fields.  I caught a glimpse of light reflecting off something way off across one of the fields in some woods.  After watching the reflections move along for about 50 yards I could make out another hunter walking along a haul road.  He was at least 500 yards from me.  Without the shiny rifle I prolly would not have noticed the hunter???  Calling in and killing a coyote is hard enough.  I need all the advantages I can get.  My rifle is camoed!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: possumal on September 21, 2012, 08:10:51 PM

Semp, I shoot some at long range, no question, but they'll spook way off just as quick if they see a shine where there isn't supposed to be one.

I agree that it is best to dull the shine on most hunting guns.  It can't hurt and most likely will help.   

nastygunz

Oh I totally agree a camo gun does not hurt for sure and I always prefer camo over shiny...but depending on where you hunt and all it can be a big deal like in the high open mountains, or a smaller deal in thick woods...I'm confident in either when I use a gun, hell Ive taken everything from deer to grasshoppers with the .357 in my avatar and shes purty shiny :wink:...although it would look pretty slick with a nice camo powder coat on it  :biggrin:

nastygunz

The place I will say camo on a gun is a huge asset is Turkey hunting cuz they are looking right at you when you call em in and as I said before the last 2 I got I had em literally yards away when I shot em.

CCP

Now I understand why everyone uses Red lens on their lights shiny white bright lights while calling runs them away.. :sad:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

possumal

Can't night hunt in Kaintucky, Richard, so the red lens does not enter into the discussion (lol).  It is noteworthy though that Gerry Blair has said in print, many times, that you go to just as much trouble at night as in daytime with your camo, etc., if you want to have ultimate success.  I'll just take him at his word on most things coyote.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff