• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rare "Double Whammy" for Possumal, Possumal Jr., and Yote Yoda

Started by possumal, October 10, 2012, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

The stars must have all been in line this morning as it worked out for Possumal, Possumal, Jr., and Yote Yoda to make a couple of beautiful stands in Garrard County.  Farmer had been calling all week asking us to please get over there, as he had lost several calves already to coyotes.  First stand was beautiful but not my favorite wind for calling, too much at our frontside for my tastes.  We did no good at all on that stand, except for a pretty good bunch of crows and one big hawk called in.  Second stand was just as scenic, closer to the cattle, and the wind quartering to where we suspected the coyotes to be.  Put Yote Yoda on the other side of a line fence, about 50 yards from me, watching up that side of the fence and a clear draw with a pond that dumps in at that point.  Put Possumal Jr. about 40 yds to my right watching towards a big pond and the field where the cattle were grazing.  I took the in between spot with my CS-24 setup and decoy quartering with the wind.  Gave them some Coyote & Rabbit, followed up by JS Super Jack both at moderate to low volume.  Nearly immediately after starting my presentation, I saw three coyotes coming from over 600 yds out.  I watched the lead coyote, who was ahead of the other two by as much as 100 yds, never stop for over 350 yds, come through the fence, and heading to my CS-24 and decoy.  Thinking Possumal, Jr. should get the shot, I muted the caller when it got to about 150 yds from me and the ecaller.  I kept waiting for little Possumal to do the deed, but there was a dip in the land that kept him from seeing the coyote, so after about 25 seconds, Wiley turned to leave, going out the same way it entered.  I turned the caller back on and the coyote stopped at 244 yds to look back. I settled the Black Diamond reticle on the shoulder and squeezed off a shot. A slight second later I heard Yote Yoda's JP 204 AR crack, and there was a dead coyote on the ground, 244 yds from me and 226 yds from Yote Yoda.  First time this has ever happed to him, second time for me.  None of this trio will ever forget. Here are some pictures of a real pretty 47 lb. female with one of the prettiest silver bellied pelts I have ever seen.  Also are a couple of pictures from my viewpoint of where she came from, and you can see her laying out in the field past the fence about 25 yds.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

Congratulations!  Nice write up on the hunt as well.

Jerry

Dave

I like the write up and can see that sucker way out there.  Could you figure out which one of you guys hit it (or both, maybe)? 

possumal

Dave, I hit her dead center in the shoulder, causing her to drop straight down DRT.  Yoda's JP 204 cracked just a fraction of a second later causing him to hit her just behind the head in the neck.  He saw fur fly through his Trijicon just as he pulled his trigger. Neither his Hornady Superperformance bullet or my Sierra 70 grain Blitz King exited.  If I have time, I'll post a picture of the carcass showing the entry of each bullet.  She got a real good dose of instant death. :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Hey Al...
                                     You uhhh got something on your face there  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Yeah Jimbo, I was suffering horrible allergies to face masks, as the damned things kept fogging up my glasses.  A dermatologist recommended this particular brand of makeup to correct the problem for good.  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

shaddragger

:yoyo: Excellent story and a memorable day for all! Congrats!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Dave

I now can see/figure out that she was hit twice.  Bleeding out the mouth from your shot and the lobotomy Yoda performed on the back of her head.   

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com