Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Nice images John.  I know the eagle, but what is the smaller bird?  I looked for something similar and the only one that is close is the Hooded Oriole, and it has less black on the head and back.

Jerry

JohnP

Scott's Oriole, they arrive late winter or early spring.  We feed them oranges and grape jelly, also meal worms when they are feeding their young.  If we forget to put food out for them they rob the hummingbirds feeders.  They are very flighty and spook easy.  However this year they will let us get fairly close.  We also have a Bullock's Oriole, haven't been able to get a picture of him yet, but I will.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

John,

Thanks for the names.  I just looked them up and found this.  The Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) is a medium-sized icterid (the same family as many blackbirds, meadowlarks, cowbirds, grackles, and others, including the New World orioles).  I have to wonder why a bird that looks this good would be related to blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, etc.  But as I have often heard, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives.

Jerry

JohnP

WOW, what a let down, cowbirds, grackles, etc.   Are you a bird watcher?  We live in a birder's paradise and are on a main migration route.  The San Pedro river is just down the road from us and has bird watcher from all over the world visit.  Also Ramsey Canyon humming bird preserve is in the next canyon north of our place.  I'm not much of a birder but do enjoy watching them. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: JohnP on April 08, 2013, 06:49:28 PM
I'm not much of a birder but do enjoy watching them.

That makes you a bird watcher John.   Bird Watcher.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

Hawks Feather

I am like you John.  I enjoy seeing them, but I don't live to spot some bird that I haven't seen before.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 08, 2013, 09:12:46 PM
Jerry...Bird Watcher

Right now you are correct - at least every evening.  We have a buzzard roost at the East side of town and every night they come circling and soaring back that way.  They are fun to watch as they soar.  There are probably between 100 and 125 buzzards that come into those same trees each night.  That will end before too long as they start to nest.

Jerry

JohnP

These guys get all my ground squirrels.