• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Slammer Stove

Started by Dave, March 10, 2014, 07:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Even though we are fairly late in the season, I've been looking into fireplace inserts to cut down on the heating costs.  Found them to be fairly pricey, though, and was ready to pull the trigger on an end of year sale. Looking through Craigslist and I found an older "Slammer" stove that I figured was worth a try before biting the bullet on the new stove. 

Never heard of the term Slammer Stove.  It's a stove that gets pushed into the fireplace without needing a chimney liner.  Slam it in and start burning.  I've been burning for about a week and a half with no problems.  Anyone have any knowledge on these?  Any Do's and Don'ts?   
Thanks

Well here's my update to this :  Since posting this, I've read up on this type of stove and will need to 'upgrade' to a chimney liner insert instead.  Slammers produce a lot of creosote and are just generally unsafe.  Oh well - at least I only payed about scrap value for it - $50 (it weighs 4 to 5 hundred lbs)

slagmaker

so just a chimney liner and your good?

hows the heat out put?

it looks nice.

does it use room air for combustion or does does it have an external vent for combustion air?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dave

Quote from: slagmaker on March 10, 2014, 01:27:17 PM
so just a chimney liner and your good?

hows the heat out put?

it looks nice.

does it use room air for combustion or does does it have an external vent for combustion air?

Unfortunately, along with the chimney liner I need a new stove   :sad:  This one can't be hooked into a chimney liner as the vent is about 20+ inches long and maybe 3 to 4 inches wide.  You can see in the pic the two handles on the top right and left that slide the flue from closed (pulled toward you) to full open (pushed all the way in).  Then there is a little sliding grate in the front, bottom of the firebox that regulates the air feeding the fire (so it does use the room air for combustion).
The heat output is VERY nice - and the blower unit only runs on low - high speed is broken, but it really pours out the heat. 

I'll probably burn out the rest of my woodpile and then throw it back on Craigslist or just junk it.  I couldn't sell it without disclosing what I now know.

KySongDog

Dave

I've been using a Buck stove which is apparently a "slammer" stove for over 20+ years.  I have never had a problem with it.   I replaced the fan in it once but that is the only thing I've had to deal with.   I know the "slammers" don't meet the new codes now but people have used them for many years before they dreamed up the new regulations.   

Creosote is largely a function of the type of wood you use and how dry it is and fire temperature.  I only use seasoned wood and I periodically sweep the chimney for creosote buildup.  I also use a product called "Creosote Destroyer" and I think that helps.   Failure to pay attention to creosote buildup is what causes most chimney fires. 

Dave

Semp, thanks for the info.  Another week or so and I'm going to pull the stove and check the chimney out. 

Also, how long of a burn do you get before having to throw more logs on?  I try to burn as slow as I can at night, but have to get up to refuel it about 2:30 am.

slagmaker

creosote destroyer is a good product. you can help with the buildup by throwing in a couple alluminum cans every couple.days. you will still need to the deatroyer but not as often
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Quote from: Dave on March 11, 2014, 07:57:14 AM
Semp, thanks for the info.  Another week or so and I'm going to pull the stove and check the chimney out. 

Also, how long of a burn do you get before having to throw more logs on?  I try to burn as slow as I can at night, but have to get up to refuel it about 2:30 am.

Dave - A lot depends on the type of wood and how big the log.   I would say on average about 4-5 hours.  Even after you think the fire went out there will be red coals in the ash in the fire box (don't use a grate).  Getting new logs to catch fire is not a problem. 

Slagmaker - I did not know about the aluminum can trick.  I'll have to try that. 

One more thing, there is no doubt wood burning stoves are dangerous.  The older stoves like Dave and I have are just more dangerous than the newer ones.    :laf: 

FinsnFur

Well...it looks nice :eyebrow:
I sweep my chimney twice during the burn season, and I used a CSL Log (Creosote Sweeping log) every month.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com