• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Microsoft XP alternative

Started by KySongDog, April 24, 2014, 06:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

With MS announcing they no longer will support XP, I am looking for an alternative (not Win 8 my machine won't run it).  I can't afford a new desktop for what I use it for (internet) so I'm looking for another way to keep it alive.   Anyone familiar with Linux?  There is a version called Ubuntu that is supposed to be free and can be downloaded.   Are there other options I need to consider?

Thanks.

Hawks Feather

Hey Jim, question needs answered.

I have Mac which means that I am no help whatsoever.

Jerry

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

I put Ubuntu on an old laptop once and ran it for a while. It seemed more like a handicap than an advantage. But I learned a lot of different ways to do things. Linux is absolutely nothing like Windows. If you ever ran a DOS machine you're right on key. Pun intended hehe

So what about Windows 7?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I installed Bodhi Linux on an old laptop that was running XP just to see if I could do it.  A big learning curve!!  I remember the joy of DOS 1.0 and this wasn't quite that bad but almost.   :laf:    I might look in to Win 7 if I can find a cheap copy.   My desktop is the one I really want to migrate to another system.  I have two laptops running Win 8.1 also. 

possumal

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Yah I hated to go to Windows 7, and waited to the last minute to do it. I really like it now.
Compared to all the other OS's Windows 7 is just XP on steroids.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

I ended up installing Ubuntu 14.04LTS on my old desktop machine.   I like it better than Bodhi and I saved the 100 bucks I would have to pay to get Win 7.

It definitely is different than Windows but not bad at all.   For no more than I do on a computer this will work fine.   It has a built in firewall and viruses are not the problem they are on Windows machines.  Plus there was a lot of free software that came with it such as Libre Office (a MS Office clone). 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

possumal

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 03, 2014, 01:36:25 PM
Semp the Linux geek :eyebrow:

I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous to myself and anyone else who thinks I know what I am talking about.    :biggrin:

possumal

I do think that your new title ought to read "Semp the Linux Geek", lots of capitals you know.  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff