• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Good Canadian candy bars I haven't seen in States

Started by Okanagan, May 14, 2014, 06:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The big one, nearly a pound, is little over $4.00 at Walmart Canada.  Superb.  Belgian choclate and whole hazelnuts and they don't skimp on the nuts.  Maybe they have these in the US, not sure. 

The Western Family one at the bottom of the pic is a US low cost store brand though I have never found this candy bar in the States.  It is dark chocolate with lots of whole hazelnuts.  Very good and the price recently went up from $1.49 to $1.79 CDN (deduct about 11% to find the price in US dollars   :confused:).

The Eatmore bar is debateable.  I call it a tootsie roll with sawdust in it.  We carried these on all of our group wilderness camps in the 70's and 80's.  They are an extra tough tootsie roll type chocolate with peanut chunks in them.  Yes, they break teeth when cold and pull out fillings the rest of the time but they are indestructible and meltproof in a pack in the hot sun. 

For this dedicated research and photo session to serve the faithful at Fins & Fur, I could not find my wife's favorite, Nielson's Burnt Almond bar.  It is dark choclate with chunks of almond but they must be having business trouble because they get harder to find all the time.  When we were newly married, a friend in Canada would mail packages of Burnt Almond bars to my wife in California!

FOsteology

Throughout my travels across America, I have not encountered any of the candy bars you pictured. However, as a young lad in Germany the Belgium chocolate with hazelnuts you pictured was a common staple.  :eyebrow:

I can't say for sure on the brand of Swiss chocolate you have pictured, but looks to be the same or very similar to what was also available when I lived in Germany.   

Okanagan

Oh, yes!  Love the German Ritter brand chocolate bars, and again, dark chocolate with hazel nuts are our favorite.  We bought some in Germany and they are available in Canada.  They are pricey, over $4 for a small bar.

What is surprising about the two choc/hazelnut bars pictured is that they are high quality chocolate at very low prices.  I like them better than Lindt, Toblerone, etc. 

Did you have a Belgium waffle in Belgium?  Whole nother world of good and for the first time in my life I liked a waffle! 

FOsteology

I might have had an authentic Belgium waffle or two while living in Germany!

We traveled quite extensively when living in Germany. Sampling the local cuisine and "beverages" was a favorite past time.

I really miss brotchen with real butter and preserves for breakfast.