• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

sightings

Started by snafu, June 14, 2014, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Today before I walked out into the mosquito hell. To set up my trail cam. I asked him more about his sightings. I asked in front of his wife. To see her reaction. She never flinched. He told me one sighting. He & his wife seen a lion drag a deer into the wood line. As they were out walking his land apparently walking near a fresh kill. They backed out.

Furthermore their daughter lives north of them near the river bottom. A lady friend of hers this last Spring. Was out along the river timber hunting mushrooms. She came upon a loin in a tree, so she backed out. Mushroom season over. I do my best to filter out the wheat from the chaff. As the chaff won't give me any edge, what so ever.

Good sig line "Be thankful"
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

Just heard this today. Friends of ours who are farmers. Our lady friend's step son who is also a farmer. Recently had a calf killed & the calf's mother raked. I was told late on this. Hopefully I get on that land to call or check for sign. This occurred not far from the river bottom.  I told our friend to tell him. Next time call me. I would like to inspect that kill.

snafu

A lion was seen this am around 8:30. 25 miles due South of me. I know the woman who seen it. It came up out of a roadside ditch along a creek. Just stood there on the road shoulder until she passed on by.

snafu

I drove down there this morning weaved around the mile sections. Looking for sign along the creeks. Unfortunately the creeks are a little high & very little creek banks/sand bars are exposed.

FinsnFur

aaaaand did you see any sign?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

No I didn't Jim. Very few places right now to find any sign. However I did look hard. I will post when I do.

snafu

About a wk ago I stopped in at the local tire/repair shop to get a tire patched. Discussion turned to hunting, then lions. Shop owner told me you need to get a hold of A local man. Who had a lion cross the highway in front of him around 2 months ago.

I called their house, he was gone for a few days. But the man's wife was home. She told me his story. Later in the day after he headed home. He went back to where the lion crossed. Et found a few tracks & took some pics of the tracks.

His wife also told me about a wk before her husband's sighting. Some people they know who live on a nearby acreage. One night they let their dog out. Dog never came back to the door. So the man of the house took his flashlight out & walked around their house. His light cast onto some eyes. He scanned with his light & lit up a lion with 2 cubs in tow.

I haven't spoken with that acreage owner yet. But plan to. As for the 1st guy. He told me he has better pics of the tracks at his office. He will bring those home for me to look at & copy if I want.

I don't know about the 2nd guy. But the old guy who has some track pics. Told me that guy was credible. The wait for post harvest. Is a bear.

FinsnFur

Your like a bounty hunter, going around on the prowl collecting evidence :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

A frustrating hunt that is for sure. As of this yr there has been a handful of sightings. Yet I drove a good 4000+ miles last Winter & never found any sign. I suppose if I were after crows. A pride of Lions would then flock around my truck.  Shoot me, shoot me :doh2:

snafu

I spoke with a woman two days ago. Her & her friend seen a lion feeding on a road kill very early in the am. 30+ miles South/SouWest of me. I drove down there later that morning in the pouring rain. Never did find the road kill. Lion must've drug it down in the tall weeds? She said it appeared to be 2/3 the size of an adult lion. From pictures she had found on the net.

Summer sucks, waiting on Winter snow

JohnP

Not familiar with your area but most lions stay away from roadkills.  Unless times are bad they only eat what they kill, at least that has been my experience.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

snafu

I got a hold of the other woman in the car. She thought that the lion was looking? for road kill. As it was on the highway shoulder. Then darted across the highway in front of them. As for one eating road kill? I would say it would have to be pretty fresh. From what I have read on lions. Is they will eat on their own kills from 3-5 days. Or until the meat gets tainted. 

snafu

Finally I'm suppose to get the pics of the lion tracks. A local guy took some time back. His sighting occurred just West of the town we both live in. I've been pestering them to see the dang pics. Nothing but one excuse after another. I know the guy is busy, but WTH! We'll see if I finally get them.

snafu

Even with the dang crops standing tall. I'm still out & about looking for sign. Along the creek & river bridge underpasses. Everyday I think about my lion, the day we meet up. This hunt consumes me, like no other.

FinsnFur

Ya think he might be yapping about some pics he cant produce? :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

He sent me a "cluster" of 4 pics in a file. The file is a pdf file. I played heck just getting it transferred to our pictures. The pics are not very sharp. So I planned on up loading them to photobucket to see if I can sharpen them up. When I'm logged onto PB. I can NOT see the pics on our PC's picture page.

I could use some help here. How do I get the pics out of his pdf file. So I can clean them up? 

FinsnFur

Open em with Photoshop.
Photoshop can read them if they are image files and then you can save them as regular jpegs or whatever.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

I couldn't get the pics out of the pdf folder. So I took a pic of the pic  :iroll: From the best one of the group of 4. He should avoid being hired to take crime scene pics.

Hard to say what it is. Maybe, just maybe....The ever so rare,  Cape Water Buffalo?

riverboss

It looks more like a canine of some sort than a cat. But ive never seen a mountain lion track.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers