• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

white face

Started by snafu, August 02, 2014, 09:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I've been doing some outside work for some friends the last few days. Who have 40 acres along the river bottom. Some of it is timber. But most of the land is rolling pasture. Not long ago a family group of coyotes tried to tag team their old dog. Landowner shot at them & broke up the fight. Here is the adult male of the group. I plan to call his land this evening. I do have the high ground  :biggrin:

He's around 250 +/- yards away.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

He looked to be good sized. Soon? to have a good sized hole bored in him  :eyebrownod:

riverboss

He looks old in thr face.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

snafu

I can't say he is old. I've seen white faced coyotes before. But if I get the chance to thump him, I'll know then.

Okanagan

Great photo!  Very interesting.

He looks so different from far northwest coyotes that in our area, I'd hesitate a beat before shooting him.  :wo:  I don't doubt a bit that he is a coyote but he has considerable dog look to him, plus the slight shade of red heeler orange is unusual out here.  Our coyotes often have strong red markings/patches on ears, legs etc. but rarely as an even color overall.

Good luck.  Next pic let's have him posed!

snafu

I've seen maybe 1/2 dozen coyote colored like this one. Rarest & most odd colors I've ever seen were solid yellow & solid red. Both of those coyotes were on the large size. They both also had a white underside as per usual.

If things pan out in my favor this pm. I'll post around 10pm.

FinsnFur

Does this mean things didnt pan out :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Uh yeah :/ I called for an hr, nothing but crows. Of course 1/2 through. My wife called my cell  :iroll:
Note to self: shut off phone.

Okanagan

:laf: :innocentwhistle:

Thanks for the honest report!

It won't make you feel better to know others have made the same mistake, but a cell phone cost me a 5x5 bull elk! :doh2:

KySongDog

Coyote or dog, if it doesn't have a collar and its on my property, it gets smoked.   Feral dogs are worse than coyotes IMHO.   

riverboss

I killed one seversl years ago that looked just like that coyote his teeth were worn slick and he had a very white apperance and his hair was very brittle and dry no sheen to it at all around the first of march.  Ive had the phone mess up several hunts now i use howls as my ring tone and geese as text .

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

snafu

Crows are in cahoots with the coyotes. I'm thinking now my wife may be their ring leader? She rarely ever calls my cell in the pm. When she is at work. I didn't forget to shut it off. I just didn't expect a dang call. Not that it made a difference? But still. Going out again late this pm. I haven't kilt nutting in 2+ yrs. I've had many chances. But just observed & learned what I could.

nailbender

HaMeR

Hunting for me is a great reason to shut the damn phone off!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Better luck next time snaf!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Quote from: snafu on August 03, 2014, 03:02:52 PM
Crows are in cahoots with the coyotes. I'm thinking now my wife may be their ring leader?

LOL :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Quote from: Semp on August 03, 2014, 11:25:53 AM
Coyote or dog, if it doesn't have a collar and its on my property, it gets smoked.   Feral dogs are worse than coyotes IMHO.

Amen, doesn't even have to be on our property.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

snafu

Nothing but crows again. I'll give it another go when it cools off. 

HaMeR

Might need to carry a shotgun & a couple boxes of shells then snaf!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

snafu

Quote from: HaMeR on August 05, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
Might need to carry a shotgun & a couple boxes of shells then snaf!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't hunt crows. 
When I was a little boy(4 or 5?). We lived on an acreage. Dad was a farm hand. One day he & another hand were cutting down trees along a creek. A crows nest was in one of the trees. So Dad climbed the tree & brought home one of the squabs. Sister & I spent much of our day, every day talking to "Doc". Eventually Doc could speak our language in short broken sentences. Doc sounded mechanical when talking. It was pretty neat.

Okanagan

I like it when crows come to my calling stands.  My assumption is it makes the situation sound real to predators and brings them in even better.  Also, crows/ravens have alerted me that a predator was coming in and shown me where he is sometimes.  I.e. A couple of crows dive bombed a lion that was hidden and watching.  Birds hate cats.  If any kind of birds (crows, songbirds, whatever) start hassling something out there, it is almost certainly a cat of some kind coming in, bobcat or even a house cat.  They will follow the cat when it moves.

Good luck with old Whiteface!