• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hey any duck hunters....

Started by centerfire_223, August 26, 2014, 09:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

Anyone be willing to save me some feathers? I am tying some flies and would love to get my hands on some different kinds and colors of feathers. I will be more than happy to pay shipping.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

riverboss

Sure i can send you some. It will be a few months thou our season doesnt start for awhile. Hit me up in nov.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

centerfire_223

Will do thanks. Do you pluck them of skin them. Either way is fine with me, though if you skin them I will send you some borax to put on the hide.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

riverboss

We just breast them out. If i get out next month for wood ducks i will let you know.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

msmith

I'm thinkin' somebody needs to do a fly tying tutorial  :eyebrow:
The wife would love me taking on a new project.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

centerfire_223

We could probably arrange that. What you wanna tie? I'll have to say tying flies is almost as fun as fishing. Notice I said, "Almost".
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

msmith

Well....I dono. The only fly rod I have right now is a brand new rig for Steelheads. Figure on heading for Erie come November. Hoping to pick up something lighter for trout before spring.

This is all new to me. I have never even tried to cast with a fly rod yet.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

centerfire_223

Here is a little piece of advise, if you have a fly shop close by, go let them give you a quick lesson. If you get started right it makes a world of difference. Bad habits are hard to break, so learning right the first time makes it so easy. Is this from someone who done it this way, NO! I am Mr. Bad Habit. If you decide to go the other way, YouTube has some great instructional videos, take the time to watch a few.

I never have gotten a chance to fish for steelhead, it's on my bucket list for the future. Definitely looks like fun though. What kind of rod did you get for it? I do most of my fishing around here with a 9' 5wt and a 7'6" 3wt., that one is for those tight Smokey Mountain streams.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

msmith

I'm not sure what I got to tell the truth. I am a planner/scheduler/design engineer for the power company. One of our mappers is a friend of mine, he works in Greensburg PA. He is into fly fishing and helped me out there. I also went to our local Cabelas and my buddy and the guy in the fly shop there, The Big Dawg and I got set up. He suggested this for an inexpensive trout rig. rod and reel combo He said to get a 9' 6 weight 4 piece.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

Once you get into tying every single thing you look at you will be thinking hmmm, could I tie a fly with that? Wifes hair, xmas tinsel, fuzzy sweaters, etc :yoyo: I use a 6 foot 2 weight, 9 foot in 6floating and 6sinking,and 10 weight, covers from native brook trout to pike and stripers.

centerfire_223

You got that right Nasty!!! I use to never want to go with my wife to Micheal's or AC Moore, but now I go every time she does. My Golden Retriever walked by today and I was thinking...hhmmm wonder what I could tie out of you. It's a MAD disease!!!

That is the first rod I bought too but mine is a 5wt. What power plant you work at? I am a planner at Oconee Nuclear Station.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

nastygunz

I just bought a bunch of colored craft wire at Michaels to tie some chironomids ! Vise time in the long winters here;)

msmith

I don't even tie flies, but think the same thing since I use a lot of spinners. Got turkey feathers out the wazu. Thought about tying my own spinners at one point but never did. I live about an hour from Joe's Flies. I can pick them up there for a couple of bucks or every sporting goods store and Wal Mart around here keeps scads of them.

I work distribution / lines
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

Joes flies are very popular around here.

Coulter

QuoteHey any duck hunters....

Heck yeah :yoyo: If you don't get enough feathers from Dan or need a different species let me know. I'll need a reminder once the season gets underway.

centerfire_223

Thanks I will holler back at ya when season gets closer.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

centerfire_223

Yea I would take some of them, if you don't mind sending them my way. Just let me know what I owe you for postage.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

nastygunz

I sent some black n white crow feathers from an obama crow I shot once to someone on here i think or it could have been crowbusters!