• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Winter tires

Started by CCP, October 15, 2014, 08:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Who here runs dedicated winter tires? If you do what do you run?

Never really had to worry about snow and ice much from the south but now being in Pennsylvania I feel I need dedicated winter tires.

Several of the guys here recommend Firestone winter force tires with studs. I drive from 30 to 80 miles each way to jobsite and most is on extremely curvy, hilly and narrow roads  with not much maintenance. Most of it in the dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

gravesco hunter

Dad had a set of studded tires on a cutless olds when i was a kid it went like a tank,i thought you drove a jeep if so you should not have to worry about snow,both of mine eat snow

Frogman

Where in PA Richard?  Here in WV not far South of Pittsburgh we don't need studs.  We haven't had too much snow in the past few years.  Course that could change this winter??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

I bought a used pickup from Iowa several years ago with studs in the rear. It sounded frickin cool as hell but they are illegal here and in a lot of states cause they tear up the roads.
Anyway...even way up here they arent not necessary in my honest opinion. And I dont know anyone that buys dedicated snow tires anymore. Even up here. Yah back in the 60's or 70's ...but with todays all season tires you get good traction in water and snow and you dont have to buy extra tires, or have your car sound like a tractor doing 70mph down the road. Everyone up here that I know runs All season tires.
One word of advice...the cheaper the tire, the worse it will be, seriously. Farm & Fleet, or Fleet Farm, depending on your location, will sell all season tires for around $30 buck each. They are complete garbage in the snow. Reason being they are made of a cheaper, harder, rubber and they dont bite nearly as well as a pricey softer tire. The cheaper the tire, the harder the rubber it seems. I had some once that were such junk even brand new, that when I would slowly accelerate from a stop light in the rain, the drive wheels would break loose and spin as I passed over the painted cross walk lines or a metal man hole cover. I swear to god.  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Richard
I put a set of Michelin LTX AT/2 tires on my 4x4 SUV and have been pleased with them.  You might give them a look.  Driving in snow and these tires is like driving on dry pavement.   They are a little on the pricey side but worth it me thinks.

Michelin LTX AT/2

nastygunz

Read all the way to the bottom
US Winter Forecast: Cold, Snow to Seize Northeast; Wintry Blasts to Slick South

By Jillian MacMath, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer

October 15, 2014; 9:00 PM ET
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on linkedin 

Though parts of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic had a gradual introduction to fall, winter will arrive without delay. Cold air and high snow amounts will define the season.
Farther south, ice storms and snow events will threaten the Tennessee Valley and parts of the southern Plains. Much of the South can prepare for a wet winter, with some severe weather encroaching on Florida.
The northern Plains will be somewhat inconsistent with variable, back-and-forth temperatures and below-normal snowfall. Meanwhile, the drought will persist in the Northwest and northern California and ease slightly farther south.
A breakdown of the AccuWeather.com 2014-2015 U.S. Winter Forecast can be found below.
JUMP TO: Cold Northeast, Interior Mid-Atlantic to Yield Snowy Winter Season| Rain, Snow, Ice All Threats for Southeast, Gulf States, Tennessee Valley | Dry, Less Harsh Winter In Store for Midwest, Ohio Valley, northern and central Plains | El Nino May Lead to High Moisture Into Southern Plains, Interior Southwest | Winter Precipitation Won't Bust Northwest, Northern California Drought | POLL: What Type of Winter Are You Hoping For?
Cold Northeast, Interior Mid-Atlantic to Yield Snowy Winter Season
After record-shattering temperatures and high snow totals last winter in the Northeast, a similar theme will continue into the 2014-2015 season.
Cold air will surge into the Northeast in late November, but the brunt of the season will hold off until January and February. The polar vortex, the culprit responsible for several days of below-zero temperatures last year, will slip down into the region from time to time, delivering blasts of arctic air.
"I think, primarily, we'll see that happening in mid-January into February but again, it's not going to be the same type of situation as we saw last year, not as persistent," AccuWeather.com Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.
"The cold of last season was extreme because it was so persistent. We saw readings that we haven't seen in a long time: 15- to 20-below-zero readings."
In addition to the cold air, a big snow season could be in the offing. Higher-than-normal snow totals are forecast west of the I-95 corridor.
"Places like Harrisburg, down to Hagerstown getting into the mountains, the Appalachians, I think that's where you're going to see your bigger, heavier amounts," Pastelok said.

nastygunz

" . I drive from 30 to 80 miles each way to jobsite and most is on extremely curvy, hilly and narrow roads  with not much maintenance. Most of it in the dark. "

I was raised driving on snow in VT and NH and there is a huge difference between all season and dedicated snow tires. With your above statement I would def go with snow tires, cheap price to maybe keep you alive!
Also winter windshield wipers, and some warm clothes, boots, hats and gloves.

Driving in snow and extreme cold aint no joke, best strategy in a storm is to stay home if possible :yoyo:
Good video:

msmith

I'm with Jim. If you have a four wheel drive and decent all terrain or even mud tires, you'll be OK. Unless you are going to be up near St Marys or State College I wouldn't worry too much about it and even then I think I would just get a set of chains to keep on hand. If'n you have a car...couldn't tell ya, haven't driven one in years.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

coyote101

Interesting and informative video.  ;yes;

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

I have a hard time every winter deciding what winter tire I'll need. :alscalls:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bigben

Im running bfg rugged terrains and like em richard. I just hope we dont get as much cold weather for so long
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

One thing I found on my 01 Silverado with cheap snow tires was that they will flat spot over night. You will notice this right about the time you hit 35-40 MPH. It really sucks if you're close to a 70MPH highway & they haven't warmed up yet. IIRC the flat spotting started happening with the temps right around the freezing mark.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11