• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Up-wind, down-wind

Started by snafu, November 30, 2014, 08:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Camera is pointed up-wind. Bedded coyote using a weeded snowy fence line as a wind brake area. Note: the coyote's ears, are pointed down-wind as per usual. Coyote is around 5/8 mile out.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

Camera is pointed down-wind. Bedded Red Fox over a knoll 1/4 mile out. Note: the foxes ears are pointed down-wind, as per usual. Reason I'm posting these two pics. Is because of the hazards of which wind direction. A hunter walks into their stand. Most any coyote or fox up ahead. IF a hunter walks in with the wind in their face. Stands an excellent chance of spotting/hearing you. Once you are in the line of sight. Both Red Fox & coyotes spend the vast majority of their time. On the down-wind side. Whether they are up & about or bedded down. Samo...samo.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Watching where they can't smell, and smelling where they can't watch.  Sneaky rascals, ain't they?
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

snafu

One hunter one day. Remarked, fox lay out on the Sunny side of a hill....Sunning themselves. Fact is whether it is Sunny out or not. They'll be found on the down wind side. Some hunters should pay closer attention as to the facts of the matter.

RShaw

I almost always approach the stand with the wind in my face and I know more than likely they will be looking in that direction. However, all coyotes do not see you. Several times I have squeaked at the start and saw a coyote raise it's head well within rifle range. Or just stand up. Also, I do not like to push the walk in. In other words, I am thinking of calling the coyote over that hill and into my view, not his.

I will take my chances with this method. Much prefer rolling the dice with his eyes versus the nose. He may sometimes be sleeping, but he is always breathing.

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

FinsnFur

Quote from: RShaw on November 30, 2014, 10:26:29 PM
He may sometimes be sleeping, but he is always breathing.

:laf: good point
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

I almost always approach the stand with the wind in my face and I know more than likely they will be looking in that direction. However, all coyotes do not see you. Several times I have squeaked at the start and saw a coyote raise it's head well within rifle range. Or just stand up. Also, I do not like to push the walk in. In other words, I am thinking of calling the coyote over that hill and into my view, not his.

I will take my chances with this method. Much prefer rolling the dice with his eyes versus the nose. He may sometimes be sleeping, but he is always breathing.

Excellent! tactic RShaw. That is one of a few tactics that work in that scenario. When walking into the wind. I have done the same as well. Walked into the wind. Then stopped before cresting the last hill where I (suspected or knew) a coyote was. Thus keeping myself hidden from it's view...then called.

Most coyotes are light sleepers. Even when bedded down. Will often raise their head & pan around. To their cross & down-wind areas. Even when bedded down on the down-wind. Alpha females do this more so than do alpha males from a mated pr.

The stronger the wind, the more in alignment. The coyote's face will be pointed ie; facing to THEIR down-wind.

Okanagan

Also, I do not like to push the walk in. In other words, I am thinking of calling the coyote over that hill and into my view, not his.

'Nother good point.

Calling is about getting the critter to come to us in our place of advantage rather than going after him in his place of advantage. 

Both are valid ways to hunt but totally different ways of going at it.