• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My favorite picnic table is white marble in a wilderness

Started by Okanagan, May 28, 2015, 08:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

It is actually white limestone from a nearby "marble" quarry way out on a logging road.  Crew from the quarry must have cut it and placed it. 

The white table shows up on Google earth in satelite photos but I cannot figure out how to paste a Google Earth photo.  Find these coordinates in Google Earth and you can see the white table from space.  49- 45-14.29 N ; 126-31-04.57 W   

There are no bears nor elk on the grassy shoreline around the bay, no deer, no eagles, no fish.  Not worth the trouble to dodge logging trucks and drive out there.   :innocentwhistle:  Spam tastes better when served on this table.   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Thats so weird it's cool :huh:  :congrats: Your gonna force me to Google Earth it. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 28, 2015, 09:58:55 PM
Thats so weird it's cool :huh:  :congrats: Your gonna force me to Google Earth it. :eyebrownod:

I'd love to post a pic from space with the white table showing but tried every way I know how without success.  Was hoping somebody more ept than I am would take pity, look it up on google Earth and post a pic.  Code may shoot me for giving away one of his spots, but his brother Jon and cousin Riley got their bears 100 miles from there. 

Okanagan

Click on the link to pull up a Google satelite pic with the slab of stone table as a white spot in the center.  You can zoom in closer, (if this works!)

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.75406,-126.51752,17z/data=!3m1!1e3?dg=dbrw&newdg=1

FinsnFur

Thats pretty cool, your link worked. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to enter coordinates in Google Earth :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 29, 2015, 05:56:53 AM
Thats pretty cool, your link worked. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to enter coordinates in Google Earth :confused:

It used to be easier to enter coordinates but I couldn't do it this time.  What you can do is watch the coordinates in the bar along the bottom of the picture.  They change to match the position of the cursor.  Then just move the cursor whatever direction changes the numbers closer to the coordinates you are looking for.  Keep the cursor moving till the coordinates below the picture match what you are looking for. 

And yes, it pretty cool to see that white table from space.  That is a great spot.   Wish we could be transported to have a F&F gathering there for a day.

A week ago today four friends and I set up a rendezvous there for supper.  A photographer and I were not bear hunting so arrived early, dug a pit in the gravel beach and built a big fire to make lots of cooking coals for later.  The bear hunters stayed out late, naturally (gets really dark about 10:15 PM) so the two of us fire builders got hungry and started red potatoes and corn on the cob wrapped in foil in the coals.  Did a couple of ribeye steaks on the grill above the coals, a few oysters in the shell cooked on the grill,  and we worked on an apple pie I'd picked up on my way through the last town nearly three hours away.

The bear hunters brought in some black bass they had caught that afternoon and cooked the fillets all together wrapped in foil on the grill.   

They slathered the fish fillets with Siriacha (sp?) sauce before cooking and it turned out pretty good. 

Dave

Lock in on my coordinates - I'm ready to beam out to the white rock for some ribeye, potatoes and black fish!  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

That does 'stick out' in that image.  Pretty neat looking table but does look a little heavy.  I am guessing kids could think of all sorts of things to do on that table.   :iroll:

Jerry

CCP

That is cool and found myself on Google Earth flying around your stomping grounds. (Hope you didn't mind) BTW about what size is that table??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

riverboss

I'm envious your your life style![emoji106] you guys really have a great diversity of game and wilderness at your door.
Plus you eat like kings.

Okanagan

Quote from: CCP on May 30, 2015, 03:17:26 AM
That is cool and found myself on Google Earth flying around your stomping grounds. (Hope you didn't mind) BTW about what size is that table??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I expected folks to look around.  That's what I do.  It is too far away for any crowds to show up who heard of it on F&F!  I've been wondering whether to post photos taken of bears etc. from the white table location. 

From memory I'd estimate that the table is 11 feet long and five feet wide at the widest.   

Re looking around:  the nearby lake called Deserted Lake on the map holds cutthroats trout, a short bushwhack through thick brush to get to it.  Didn't know it had a name till this post.  Few trails in that country, not even fishermen trails on shorelines.

The white rock quarry shows up off a short spur road on the hill 1/3 mile east (didn't measure it) of the white table, east of a switchback hairpin bend in the road.   Grandson Code chased a black bear up one of those short spur roads barefoot with his bow, and up onto a blackberry covered hill of sharp stones, because he said that he could stalk him quieter without shoes!  Didn't get him.

Okanagan

Quote from: riverboss on May 30, 2015, 09:35:38 AM
I'm envious your your life style![emoji106] you guys really have a great diversity of game and wilderness at your door.
Plus you eat like kings.

Thank you.  We Fins and Fur folks all have it pretty good from what I read here, knowing how to enjoy the best in each of our areas.  Wilderness starts close to my door and there is huge variety of game, but it is scattered widely over a 1100 x 500 mile territory.  It takes me about 8 hours including a two hour salt water ferry ride from my house to reach that white table, which is 3 hours past the last real town.    I'd love to take my wife there but she would hate the dusty rough hours on logging road to get there.  Dave & Dante?   :biggrin:

Trouble is, I'm getting too slowed down by age to take advantage of the best of it now that I've retired enough to have the time!

My waist line agrees that we eat too well, as Dave & HuntnCarve can attest after seeing me!  I do enjoy terrain and new country and hope I don't bore nor over do it showing the country here and its novelties.

Below is a photo taken from the logging road bridge over the creek a few hundred yards east (to the right in the satellite pic) of the white table, looking downstream toward the salt water bay.  It is the outlet stream for Deserted Lake.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Okanagan on May 30, 2015, 10:11:16 AM
We Fins and Fur folks all have it pretty good from what I read here, knowing how to enjoy the best in each of our areas.

You bring up a very good point in that all of us have unique views right around our own area.  The problem usually is that when we see them everyday they become 'normal' and so when we see something else we are in awe of it. 

Jerry

riverboss

I agree but private land is getting hard to find and were I live I'm hours from public.
To have a vast wilderness within a half hour or hour would be great. But lbl is six hours away and that's the best place I can think of.
I would love to be able to hunt lions, bears, moose, wolf but I'm to old and broke down to move!
But really like reading the story's on here.

Okanagan

Quote from: Okanagan on May 29, 2015, 11:13:40 AM

What you can do is watch the coordinates in the bar along the bottom of the picture.  They change to match the position of the cursor.  Then just move the cursor whatever direction changes the numbers closer to the coordinates you are looking for.  Keep the cursor moving till the coordinates below the picture match what you are looking for. 

Correction:  the above info works in Google Earth but not in Google maps (and the link to the table is in Google Maps).  In Google Earth a line at the bottom of the page gives the lat/long coordinates of the cursor (or Mercator coordinates, etc. which you can choose.)