• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Handi Rifle scores

Started by coyote101, February 12, 2016, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I bought this little N.E.F. Handi Rifle in .357 Magnum several years ago because it had a nice Leupold CQT scope on it. I intended to take the scope off and sell the little rifle because I just didn't see the need for a .357 rifle. I did take the scope off, but never got around to selling the rifle.

A year or so later I mounted an Eotech sight on it and shot a deer with it. Then it went back into the safe and was sort of forgotten. A couple of years ago I put an adjustable stock on it so a friend's 8 year old grandson could use it for deer hunting.

This morning I decided to take it out to a friend's farm and see if I could kill a coyote with it.

The first stand was in the woods overlooking a shallow draw. Visibility was about 50 yards and the wind was not good, but I hoped I could catch one coming up that draw trying to get downwind. About three minutes into the calling I saw one. Unfortunately, it was coming from the other direction and I spotted it just about the time it got downwind of me. It went behind a tree and never came out, it just disappeared.  :confused:

The second spot was in another block of woods with better visibility, but nothing showed, so I moved again and gave it another try.

On the third stand, I moved a little deeper into the woods on a hillside looking down into a larger draw. Visibility ranged from 50 to maybe 120 yards and the wind was from my left to right. After several series of my best pup distress imitation on my Yotehntr open reed call, I spotted movement down the hill to my left front, maybe 80 or 90 yards out. She was moving left to right and angling slightly up the hill. She stopped so I called again and she started moving. Then she stopped again behind a tree and I lip squeaked, but go no response, so I called again. That got her moving again and she was now at my right front about 80 yards out and would soon be getting down wind of me. I lip squeaked again to stop her, pulled the trigger, and down she went.

Little female

I think I'll keep the little .357 rifle a while longer

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

Way to go Pat!![emoji106] I bet that 357 did a number on her. I'm going after them in the morning again I'm still pumped from lbl.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

KySongDog

Nice, Pat!   Great story and pic!

kyfuzzyface

Way to go Pat you are putting it on them here lately !
Fuzzy

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Dave

Nice - do you ever go out and NOT get anything???  :congrats:

coyote101

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2016, 06:46:13 AM

MOST of the time, Dave.  :sad:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Cool deal Pat!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Nice looking coyote for sure!! I like the way you "trained" her to lie there & pose so good for the camera!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

That's one neat little rifle you got there too. I like it!! Which bullets are you using?

I busted a couple with my 357 Marlin & neither one of them were happy about being hit by hit!! Well,, not that I could tell anyhow.  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

centerfire_223

Good job Pat! Your average may be hitting a new high this year.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Okanagan

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2016, 06:46:13 AM

My thought exactly!   :laf:

WTG!

FinsnFur

Daaaang Pat  :eyebrow:
Nice looking fur too
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: HaMeR on February 13, 2016, 07:40:23 AM
That's one neat little rifle you got there too. I like it!! Which bullets are you using?

I'm shooting factory Remington 158 grain semi-jacketed hollow points.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Hawks Feather

The 'handi' is  a rifle that I have never handled, but have thought of picking one up for deer season here in Ohio.  We can use straight wall cartridges in a rifle now.  I was thinking more of the .44 mag, but that is a totally different story.  What I have heard is that they have a pretty heavy trigger pull.  How is the one on your rifle?

Thanks,

Jerry

HaMeR

Thanks Pat!! My 357 would never shoot worth a darn til I found some Winchesters loaded with 180gr'ers. Now it's an 1 1/4" @ 100yds rifle. Glad you found a good load for yours!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

Congrats Pat!! :yoyo: I went yesterday for a while, but no luck. Still wearing my tape. :iroll:

coyote101

Quote from: Hawks Feather on February 14, 2016, 01:48:55 PM
What I have heard is that they have a pretty heavy trigger pull.  How is the one on your rifle?

Jerry,

It is pretty heavy, but crisp. I don't have a trigger scale, but I may get my digital fish scale out and see if I can get a close approximation. I'll let you know.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Hawks Feather

Quote from: coyote101 on February 14, 2016, 09:21:43 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on February 14, 2016, 01:48:55 PM
What I have heard is that they have a pretty heavy trigger pull.  How is the one on your rifle?

Jerry,

It is pretty heavy, but crisp. I don't have a trigger scale, but I may get my digital fish scale out and see if I can get a close approximation. I'll let you know.

Pat

Don't worry about it.  I just thought I would check and see what you thought.

Jerry

Frogman

WTG and good shooting Pat!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

Quote from: weedwalker on February 14, 2016, 06:40:32 PM
Still wearing my tape. :iroll:

You're going to have to do something about that Ed.  ;yes; ;yes;

Pat
NRA Life Member