• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first 2018 Tom

Started by Jase, April 24, 2018, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jase

So I get up Saturday morning at 4:30 and I hear rain hitting the trailer pretty good. Wyatt my youngest (18) and I pretty much cashed it in. Wyatt took off the camo and went back to bed in the travel trailer and I just started drinking coffee. The lil lady ends up at 5:30 having to do her buisness at the nearest bathroom. When she got back, she tells me she is hearing birds gobbling  over the direction I wanted to hunt so I go take a listen Sure enough 2 birds close to 1/4 mile apart...one on public hunting, one on no hunting state ground. Rain was real slow right then, so I grabbed the gun. After I done MY buisness, they were still gobbling, so I take off after the one west that was huntable. I'm easing through there not knowing the area good enough and sporadically I see vaguely hens were roosted along the creek 70 yards or so.. No sooner then I cross on to public hunting, the east tom was getting LOUD. It wasn't until I could hear the air in his chest while gobbling that I realized he was following me in unknowingly . I was fortunate there was a little hill where I was standing so down it I went and quickly got against a tree and clucked for some unknown reason. 45 seconds after I sat down he was standing 20 yards at the top of that little hill. The ol H&R single got another notch.

Okanagan

Loved the story!  That is some good hunting, good thinking and it all came together with good shooting. 

HaMeR

Nice bird!! Congratulations!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Nice job, congratulations.  :highclap: The gobblers have eluded me so far this year. I have been covered up in jakes but can't get a gobbler close.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the first for 2018.  Nothing quite as good as a quick hunt when it is raining.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

Very Nice!! Looks to have nice rakers too.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jase

Thanks all! It was one of those hunts that will spoil a guy that's for sure! Them birds will make sure us hunters don't get to thinking it's easy....Since this bird I'm getting close but I'm seeing A LOT of henned up toms right now. Calling one in is going to be like winning a lottery for a bit. I'm switching tactics and am simply going to attempt to slip in front of the flocks preferred travel in the moment at hand.

nastygunz

I do the ambush method in the fall season alot :wink:

riverboss

Great job!!
Turkey nuggets🍗🍻

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

bambam

JohnP

Never been on a turkey hunt, just seems like I was never in a place or had the time to do it.  Now that I have the time and in a place to do it I don't have the physical capabilities to do it. However enjoy reading all the tales from the real life turkey hunters like Jase, Pat, Johnny, bambam and the rest of you guys. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs