• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A few...And a story...

Started by Purgatory_Predator_Calls, May 09, 2007, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Just when I though I was all caught up something interesting happened to me.  See, we were moving cows on a friends place not to far from home.  Jim (said friend) had asked a good friend of his "Arch" to tag along for a little help and good conversation.  Arch is a true cowboy.  Has been all his life.  If'n I had to guess I'd say he's somewhere in his mid to late 50's.  Heck of a cowboy, and a pleasure to have met.  As we were riding back to the house after a good 10 mile gathering ride I couldn't help but notice he was eye'n my saddle.  And giving it some quite strange looks.  In an attempt to salvage what ever repore I had built through out the day I said,

"Yeah this old saddle, she's an oldie but a goodie"

He laughed and asked me "Howda a young man such as you come about such a piece of prime western memorabilia?"

I laughed back an told him "Well Arch, when I was a teenager a neighbor was not in good health,  before he passed he was looking to get rid of his horses to someone who could apprecieate them and keep em broke."  Told Arch "Yeap I was 17, paid $500 dollars for one of his horses and all his original tack, complete saddle, bridel, blanket, pad, the whole outfit."

Well we rode on and I didn't think much about it.  At the end of the day we were all sitting around the table drinking coffee and I remembered our brief conversation.  At an open spot in the conversation I said,

Me: "Yeap figure one of these days i'm gonna have to break down and get me a new saddle." 

He looked at me and said, "How much money you got in your pocket right now young man?"

Me: "Arch, I aint got nothing but this old coyote call I made, carry in my shirt pocket everywhere I go"

Arch: Go out in my truck and take a look at that saddle and comeback and tell me what you think it's worth."

I did, "Hell Arch, I aint got no idea what she's worth besides I anit got no money on me anyhow."

Arch:  "Tell you what young man, you make me a call like that one you got right there and we'll call it even."

Me:  "Ohhh that's not a very good deal for you pard!"

Arch:  "Hell Joey I got 7 of em like that at home, tell you what make me two and we'll call it a deal."

He stuck out his callised hand and by god we had a deal. 

OK now back to the calls, The 4 calls on the left of this picture are for Mr. Arch Haught.  Hope he likes them.  Jim is going to hand deliver them for me tomorrow morning. 

Oh yeah and the saddle, it's a dandy, fancy tooling all over, big swells and a nice high back.  Said he roped off it 15 years ago.   Sorry so long winded, hope you all enjoyed.  The other calls are already spoken for.  So back to getting caught up only 3 calls to go. 

Joey

When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

Hawks Feather

Yoey,

Great story and even better looking calls.  Ride high in that saddle.

Yerry

cb223

Joey,

I've liked the look of your calls from the first one I have seen. Those are beautiful!!!

Great story also.
CHAD

Braz

That was a really great story and even greater calls. I can see no reason why he wouldn't be thrilled with your alls. They are great!
Braz

iahntr

That was a really cool story ! Those calls look fabulous !  :congrats: :congrats:
Scott

Arkyyoter

AWESOME....as always.....

Joe

FinsnFur

:laf: Thanks for sharing that Yoey. hey if I'm delivering you better PM me Arch's address again so I can get the calls delivered...it escaped me.

Nice looking stuff...I'm sure he'll be thrilled :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

I not down with horses, but I do know that some calls for a saddle...aint bad!!!!!!!! :yoyo:

Great looking display of your work as well.

Brad

Todd Rahm

Joey,

Stories like the one ya told of the saddle, have a tendency to happen to good natured folks. It appears ole Acrh saw something in the youngster riding on the horse next to him.  :wink:

Nice calls, by the way, and I really like that #5.   :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :biggrin:

HuntnCarve

I could not have said it better myself, Todd....  Beautiful calls Joey!  Your new friend will be very pleased.

Dave

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Thank you all for the compliments!  Compliments from the likes of you guys are held dear.  Thank you!!

Jim,  for clarification when I tell a story I'll referr to you as "Yim" .   :roflmao: Not Jim.

Todd,  I believe I've made a friend in Arch.  Unfortunately folks like him are a dying breed.  I consider myself fortunate to have made his acquaintance.  Can't wait to hear what he thinks of the calls.

Thanks again guys,

Yoey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

DirtyDog

Joey,

When I saw those calls the other day when you sent me the pics, I knew those were new, and boy do I like them. I have met a few of them good ole boys a few times, and I tell you what, I just love to listen to the stories they have. Congrats on the saddle too.

Joe

awh

Great story. I'd a traded the horse with the saddle for 4 like those. Beautiful calls Joey.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Pilgrim

vvarmitr

Quote from: Purgatory_Predator_Calls on May 09, 2007, 09:26:58 PM
Oh yeah and the saddle, it's a dandy, fancy tooling all over,

Very  much like the calls! :congrats:  Sure love mine. :biggrin:
What a cool story.

BasinBoy

wow those are nice. and thats a great deal to

rwehuntn

The calls look great, as usual. It sounds from your story the best part of the whole deal is the new friend you met. People like that are becoming rare and hard to find. Hope the friendship and the saddle treat you well.

guywildstorm

Joey your calls always catch my eye. Now lets see some pics of that saddle!!!

Listen close to those ole cowboys, they dont say much but when they do its words of wisdom. I have spent a fair amount of time in some old saddle leather myself and those nights sitting around a campfire listening to those ole timers talk are some of my fondest memories.

Guy
Clark's Custom Calls & Lanyards