• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What is up with AMMO PRICES????

Started by Bopeye, June 16, 2007, 06:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

Has anyone purchased any ammo lately?
I bought a few boxes yesterday and was paying about $3 a box more than just last month. That makes the third big price jump I have seen in the last year or so.  :argh:

Talked to a fella today that owns a pawn shop and he said that ammo keeps going up by the big makers. What he was selling ammo for last year is almost $3 more than what he can buy it wholesale for now........ :madd:

He even said that there were whispers that they were going to put like a 30% luxury tax on it or something like that............WHAT IS GOING ON?

Instead of getting our guns they are just going to make it too expensive to shoot them....... :confused: :shrug:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Rich

The war in Iraq is causing some of the problem.  The military is starting to worry about a shortage.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

weedwalker

Wal-Mart is phasing out guns & ammo in a lot of their stores. This lets the independents get what they can. A lot of it is fuel surcharges from trucking too.

Hawks Feather

It is not only ammo, but reloading items are taking a jump in prices also.  I was advised several months ago to start stocking up on powders, primers, and bullets.  I have been picking them up whenever I get a few bucks stashed away.  Primers seem to be one of the items that retailers are having trouble getting.  Remington 7 1/2 small rifle are few and far between around here and are also out of stock on many of the discount mail order places.  I was able to get some Federal 205s from Graf and Son.  If you get primers you might want to see if someone else is interested in some at the same time.  There is the hazmat fee of around $25, but it doesn't change between a box of 100 primers or several thousand primers.

Jerry

MI VHNTR

I just picked up some Black Hills blue box ammunition today. A box of 50, 68 gr Heavy Match HP ran $24.99, plus tax. They also had some 52 gr Moly HP for the same price. The 55 gr soft point was $19.99. BTW, this was a "sale price" on all of the ammo.  It's the first time in quite a while that I've seen that much 223 ammo on the shelf. MI VHNTR
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

HaMeR

China is also buying up all the brass, copper & lead they can get ahold of too.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

CCP

China is the biggest buyer of copper USA is second. The price of copper exploded a little over a year ago but has come down in the last few months. For the last year every Plumbing supply store has a sign copper prices are due to change daily no price quotes.

The construction industry is the largest user of copper products. When the housing markets take off so does the copper prices.

Last year after Katrina prices shot up again and it was hard to get here in my area. We bought 40 to 60 grand worth at the time to lock in a price and have it on hand.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

vvarmitr

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 16, 2007, 08:04:23 PM
I was advised several months ago to start stocking up on powders, primers, and bullets. 

:doh2: And you're just now telling us? :huh: Geeze! :iroll:

ohiobob

Jerry
I was just talking about the hazardous charge being the SAME for either 1 primer or 100,000 primers to a few friends and I told them to let me know when they want to order,, and ME personally, I am going to Buy a LOT of "stuff" because I also have 2 sons that hunt/shoot,,so it would be WISE to get everything a guy can get and as soon as he can get it  :wo:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Hawks Feather

Bob,

I did make the hazmat fee worth it.  I didn't  just order 100 primers.    :biggrin:

Jerry

ohiobob

Jerry
the last time I had to pay a Hazmat fee I THINK it was $11 or something close,,and me and 2 more guys bought a TON of EVERYTHING,,well I started buying local then but the Gunshop that was 4 houses up from me shut the doors and moved to Florida because the Internet pretty much put them out of Business,and now the nearest Powder/Primer place is around 15 Miles away ,so I talked to 1 guy today because he picked me up to shoot Groundhogs/crows with the
22-250,,and we talked about the "order" we need to put in,,well between 3 of us we MIGHT get red flagged because these guys want to buy SOME POWDER ! 1 guy asked if it comes in 55 Gal drums  :shck: maybe he is going fishing  :laf:
but the deal is that he has a T/C Encore and about 100 different Barrels,so I guess he WILL NEED that much  :shck:
have you heard ANYTHING about when the NEXT price hike is ?
I DID save some Powder by Loading a lot of my pistol loads with shotgun powder so NOW I can buy a bunch of shotgun powder and take care of the 12 Gauge AND the Pistols and basically buy more rifle Powder  :confused: :shrug: at LEAST I HOPE SO  :fingerx:
Bob

Hawks Feather

Bob,

Normally, there were increases each fall, but that has ceased due to some shortages.  Now it seems that whenever there is a new order going in there is an increase in price.  Right now, the supply is down, so the price goes UP. 

If you are buying 55 gallon drums of power, have it sent to your buddy's place.  That way when the BATF or FBI kick in the door, it won't be your door!

Jerry

ohiobob