• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Where is Jimmie in Ky????

Started by Bopeye, September 04, 2006, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

In area 14, road 229 just east of Dennis Cemetery is a small inlet. I remember wanting to scout that area out. I notice what appeared to be a very small island close to shore as well as a couple others as you move north up the river. Can a guy hunt these islands?
Also, when has the shad die off been occurring the last few years? About the same time every year? Is the shad die off more substantial on Barkley Lake or Tennessee River?

I have some other questions, but I'll try not to overload too much.Thanks in advance.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Mallardsr

You will have it on both sides to some extent.The winds play a roll in this also.I could bring my old duck boat and you could ride up and down both sides searching for the shad come back and give us all a full report.Better yet, we could go together and when we find the shad we will just git out on the bank and set up.We could contine this pattern until we have killed enough coyotes to exceed the max. capacity for the boat.We could pile them up at a boat ramp we could reach by truck.After that much shooting it would probably be 7:15 AM and I would have to stop for breakfast. :roflmao:

Bopeye

Sounds good to me Mallard.........can we do it?

Mallardsr

We can,but I'll tellya it ain't all that.We will certainly have something to talk about ,but not like you might think. Been there done that.Got the t-shirt. :biggrin:

coyotehunter_1

Fishing for coyotes? Ok... Troll or bait cast?  :biggrin:

Seriously... using a boat to slip into the hard to get to areas is not be a bad idea. Several of us discussed this very subject during the first hunt. Those LBL coyotes are used to hearing boat traffic. The only drawback would be our unpredictable Feb. weather here. I sure would have not wanted to be on the water that weekend... 5 degrees, 3" of snow  and 20 mph wind. :shck:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Mallardsr

There ya go!Somethin' bout 5 foot waves and sub freezing temps just dont appeal to me like it did when I was in my 20's and 30's.I had a floating duck blind out of Piney campground for years.It was always that phone call that told me my blind was 10 miles down stream that finally broke me, Well my wife actually.It was a two day minumum every time out.Pullin' a 8' x 16' blind 10 miles with a flat bottom  25  hp motor ain't my idea of a mans day out.I can think of some 4 and 5 letter words that would describe it much better.Any way,needless to say, the Tennessee river ain't  exactly Stuttgart, Ar. so on the slow days we'd go after em coyotes from the water.We did have some success but hunting that way is more  popular than you would expect .

Bopeye

The popularity of it is exactly what got me to thinking about it. We use to island hop deer hunting. Three or four boat loads of us. One group would be standing while the other group did a drive.

Oh well......just a thought. :wink:

Jimmie in Ky

Not sure who's jurisdiction those islands would fall under, the states or the LBL's, so I can't answer the hunting question.

As for the shad die off it hasn't been much of a factor the last couple of years with the mild winters. Water stays to warm to kill off many of the threadfins.With the prevaling winds there the west side is best for this pattern. It's just another of th many food sources available to the animals there.

Last winter the honey locust pods were the main course nearly all winter. Some folks thought they were eating persimons  with all the seed in th scats. What they will be eating will depend on population numbers and what is most available. If the population is high like it was year before last they will resort to pack hunting and the deer herd again.

Something I noticed a lot of last year was the use of the lake shore as an escape route for many of the groups on the west side.

Mallardsr, look for those white scats with glitter in them after a good hard freeze. They do eat whatever is handy and easy to get up there. Jimmie

Bopeye

Jimmie,
  How many are you going to have with you at the LBL?

Jimmie in Ky

Right now I couldn't tell you Bop. I might ride around with GC if he shows up. I really want to pick that old boys brain myself before the rest of you get a crack at him :sneer:

I also have some schemes of my own for a few areas. I aim to get me a real comfortable seat and see the show develope. Jimmie