• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Making bird distress sounds

Started by Troy Walter, July 08, 2007, 07:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

Thank you Twalter4. That's what these forums are about. No bashing, just good fun. I enjoy doing those videos although I must say the quality is not there. Tomorrow I will put another video on with me calling badgers with bird distress. I spotted some today when I was out and we will see what happens.

I guess it isn't going to happen. I went out at the crack of dawn this moring and I couldn't get them out of the hole. Maybe later. Sorry about that.

bushmaster

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 08, 2007, 08:12:10 PM
The flutter I believe is accomplished by basically doing the 5th grade machine gun sound with your mouth closed and into the call. You remember doing that sound?

Good, because I could never do it  :nono:

I was The MAN in grammar school for my gun emulations!! :laf:  You should see my .50cal machine immitation, teeth chatter an all :roflmao:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Rich

Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Rich Higgins

Hey Jerry, I need an instructional video about undressing Angelina Jolie. Got anything?

FinsnFur

I couldn't make that sound if I wrapped a rubber band around my tongue to help it spin  :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

Rich, No I don't but I could make one of my wife if you would like. I have to retract that statement to keep peace. Too many emails.  :laf:

Randy Roede

Hey Higgins, the first part would be about making a billion dollars, once you get the billion dollars getting her to acknowledge you and undress for half of the billion dollars will be a snap.

wv_yoter

Thank you Jerry and Rich, now I have something to practice along with.                                                                                                                                   
Jason

caller223

T,  video shown is great tutorial.  The Verminator Tweety is a commercial call that makes bird calls easy since its higher pitch than some of the louder calls.  Most open reeds works closer to the tip of reed ( higher pitch ).
Richard Grantham

KillerCaller!

sorry so late to this party but....
I agree with Richard that the Tweety makes great bird sounds. I make most bird sounds using a rodent/squeaker type call or a small open reed.
The best way, for me, with an open reed is to get 1/4" in on a reed and use constant air from my mouth, not diaphragm and tap the reed end with my tongue. It is yet another way to get away from the rest of the crowd that is using a standard "twittering" woodpecker type sound. It sounds birdish, rodent-like and pup whimperish all at the same time. The Standard is another great call to make this sound on. There are a couple other calls that I like to use but they are hush hush.

wv_yoter

Killer, That's a little different than what I'm used to but it sounded pretty good when I tried it, thanks for the tip. :eyebrownod:
Jason

KillerCaller!

You are welcome WV!
Some people are call addicts, I am a call sound addict. The more sounds that I can make on one call, and sound what I feel to be realistic, the better. I do a lot of experimenting to see what it takes to get different or better.

ohiobob

I really NEVER Gave a woodpecker or any Bird in distress a thought,because I DIDN'T have one,,and really didnt hear to much talk about it UNTIL this Post by Twalter4,,but then a few weeks ago I got this African Predator Bone Call from Africa,,it is called the Cat Killer,,anyway I went back to this Thread here and re-read all the stuff by Knowledgable People that are on here,,when I put all these tips to work I was amazed by the Sound,,I wasnt amazed by anything said here or the Cat Killer call
I was amazed that I actually made a half decent sound with my very own Mouth,,,and then Brent and a few other people chimed in that they LOVE using the sound,,so I will have this cat Killer Call on my Lanyard at ALL times
Bob

Here are a few Pics of the African Predator Cat Killer Bone Call

and last one

You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

FinsnFur

KC...how are you tapping the reed with your tongue if you only put it in 1/4"?

I can't trill my tongue, so I'm curious about your method. Also......you must be holding the call upside down to your lips. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KillerCaller!

It is a bit hard to explain but easy to do. Try and create a vacuum with your mouth. Suck on the call with a finger blocking the bell end, creating an air tight seal.
To create the sound, keep that seal-like effect but while pushing the air out, without the finger blocking the bell of course. You want to push the air out and tap your tongue against the back of the toneboard, thus interrupting the air flow. Or you can vary the air pressure using your mouth or diaphragm. It takes some practice to get the right feel for the location on the reed so that it is repeatable. In the end it should sound somewhat like this....... http://media.putfile.com/PsychoTweetyBird or this http://media.putfile.com/PrettyBird
It may not sound like much but you will be amazed at the amount of bird activity you suddenly notice about you. I use them at night and throw in 2 or 3 high pitched fox type barks and if there are fox in the area they will sometimes bark back. Some people don't believe in using bird sounds at night cause it seems out of place. That is exactly why I use them at night. It is out of place and apt to get more attention. I called in my very first predators, 2 fox, using bird sounds so they hold a special place for me.

wv_yoter

Killer, they both sounded good and I don't know that I've ever heard anyone do it like that. :congrats:
Jason

FinsnFur

They do sound good  :eyebrownod:
I'm gonna have to give er a whirl here when the neighbors go to bed.

Oh by the way KC...those to links gave away your identity  :doh2: :eyebrow: :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KillerCaller!

I know they did. I posted the sounds the day before and noticed that the name was on there so I took them off. Then figured, who cares. I haven't sullied their reputation any more than a few admins already have by sending out such an ignorant email. It was fun playing cat and mouse for a while.
It's not my real name anyway. My last name isn't smithers and my first name isn't c. Maybe it's me and maybe it's not. I could have found those sounds and linked to them. No one knows whether it's me, whoever I am, behind that call. Is it or isn't it? Maybe I know a Smithers or a Smothers brother. I like yo-yo's.
My name is Bill Trachzewski from Kenosha, WI. I have been a Badgers fan for 48 years and season ticket holder for the Packers for 31. I can be who and whatever I choose. It's the freakin internet. I could be a 12 year old girl for all anyone knows. :yoyo:

vvarmitr

Quote from: KillerCaller! on August 27, 2007, 07:47:58 PM
I could be a 12 year old girl for all anyone knows. :yoyo:

Maybe JD was right about you being a woman? :shrug:
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

ohiobob

Quote from: KillerCaller! on August 27, 2007, 07:47:58 PM
I could be a 12 year old girl for all anyone knows. :yoyo:

Is this Chris Hanson from Dateline News,,and is this the "To Catch a Predator" Show  :biggrin: :laf:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???