• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Light Weight Mountain Rifle

Started by FOsteology, July 18, 2007, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Here's a .338 Federal I had Hill Country Rifles build me last year. It began life as a Kimber Montana .308 Win.

Rick Bin (owner of 24hourcampfire)  painted the stock corbide black with silver webbing.

I had Robar roguard the external metal and NP3 treatment on all the internal metal surfaces.

Hill Country Rifles installed a Benchmark barrel (20" 1-10) , re-bed the rifle and mount a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Post and Duplex scope in LWT Talley rings.

Weighs in at 5lbs 13.7 oz as she sits.

Handles and shoots fantastic! Shoots the 185gr. TSX just under .60 and the 210gr. Nosler Partitions just under MOA.

And since I know I'll be asked...... recoil is very manageable! The stock design (Melvin Forbes of NULA) handles perceived recoil exceptionally well.

Hawks Feather

Recoil, who lets recoil bother them?  Oh, wait, that is me.   :wink:

Looks like another nice rifle and light enough that you can carry it while mountain climbing looking for that big one. 

Jerry

vvarmitr

That is sweet FO. ;yes; :thumb2:

Like the looks of that 338Federal round. Looks a lot like a 222Rem.  It I hadn't read the post first I would have thought it was a custom Sako Vixen in 222. :eyebrownod:
Boy, Ya sure can't complain about those groups either! :biggrin:

I take it that's your high mountain predator rifle? :shrug:

Edited cause I clicked the "post" button to soon. :doh2:

FOsteology

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 18, 2007, 06:57:57 PM
I take it that's your high mountain predator rifle?

It's my high mountain anything rifle!

I have a buddy moving out to the Big Sky state soon, so I'm sure it'll see some service on Elk and Mule deer. Currently, I've only used it on some feral hogs. It's like a can of Raid...... kills 'em dead!  :eyebrow:

vvarmitr

Quote from: FOsteology on July 18, 2007, 08:01:46 PM
It's like a can of Raid...... kills 'em dead!  :eyebrow:

:laf:  I like that!  :laf:

Hey, there ya go. Now ya have a name for that rilfe.  RAID!