• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Misting ?

Started by Bob D, July 24, 2007, 04:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

Anyone have a recipe for the ingredients and where you can get it?

keekee

Bob I don't do much misting myself, other than the few times we played around with it here. A mix of different scents is what most use. Fox urine, Deer urine, Coyote urine, Bobcat urine, Rabbit urine, or what ever you wanted to mix. Then just put it all in a spray bottle in equal parts is what we did. Might be a good idea to run it threw a coffee filter before putting it in the bottle.

Rich Higgins got his high speed enet hooked up today and will be on the board this week sometime. He would be a very good person to tell you what you want to know.

Brent

Nelson

Do you use any type of preservative if you collect the urine yourself?    No, I'm not going to run down a coyote and have him pee in a bottle!!     :eyebrownod:     What I mean is, if you kill one and get the urine and want to save it till later do you refrigerate it or add a preservative to it?   If you add a preservative, what is it? 

Thank you for your answer.

Nelson

FinsnFur

I wanna know what the coffee filter is for. :confused:
Is that in case they have like a kidney stone or something?  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

RShaw

I don't have any experience with misting, but I have a little with urine collection.

Good quality urine needs no preservatives and can be stored for a long time in glass. If food and poop has been allowed to fall into the urine tray during collection, then that urine is just junk. I have never recovered any urine from a dead coyote, but have got plenty from dead fox and cats.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

keekee

Jim,

The coffee filter takes out any small impurity's that are in the urine or that got in there when it was collected, and keeps it from stopping up the spray nozzle on your bottle.

I have never collected urine from coyotes ether but I have from Fox and Deer. What Randy said is spot on! Glass bottle and keep it in the frig!

Brent

THO Game Calls

Kee, tell him the truth,  The coffee filter is for the down wind shooter when the upwind shooter starts misting  :)

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

I have no idea THO! But I can tell you this! Dont set on the down wind side of someone misting! And by the end of the day the guy doing the misting will flat stink up your truck! And if it is cold and you haft to turn the heat on! Oh, my! :madd: Just hope its not a long drive home, and when ou get there I hope you got a shower! :shck:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Brent

browning204

Quote from: keekee on July 25, 2007, 07:22:23 AM
Jim,

The coffee filter takes out any small impurity's that are in the urine or that got in there when it was collected, and keeps it from stopping up the spray nozzle on your bottle.

I have never collected urine from coyotes ether but I have from Fox and Deer. What Randy said is spot on! Glass bottle and keep it in the frig!

Brent

With a big label,    NOT LEMONADE!!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Jeb

Quote from: browning204 on July 25, 2007, 10:39:15 AM
Quote from: keekee on July 25, 2007, 07:22:23 AM
Jim,

Brent

With a big label,    NOT LEMONADE!!!!

LMAO! :roflmao: :roflmao:

FinsnFur

So the filter is to remove any impurity's  :confused:

Coyote piss - remove impuritys
Coyote Piss - remove impuritys

:laf: Somethin aint right there.

No seriously now...I've only misted once. When I was shingling a two story house once in 25 mile an hour winds and the ladder blew down on us.
I walked to the edge and misted because I didnt know how long it was gonna be before we got off there.

No coyotes came  :pout:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 25, 2007, 07:27:54 PM
So the filter is to remove any impurity's  :confused:

Coyote piss - remove impuritys
Coyote Piss - remove impuritys

:laf: Somethin aint right there.

No seriously now...I've only misted once. When I was shingling a two story house once in 25 mile an hour winds and the ladder blew down on us.
I walked to the edge and misted because I didnt know how long it was gonna be before we got off there.

No coyotes came  :pout:

Ya silly fart knocker.........ya 'bout made me mist reading that........ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :yahoo: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

weedwalker

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

caller223

I imagine the longer you are involved in calling the closer you have came to misting when a coyote runs up behind you. :>)

Seriously,  Rich Higgins is the man on misting.
Richard Granthaml

Rich

I have coyote urine on hand, and I think rabbit urine and fox urine will be coming next. You can get the urine at
http://www.murrayslures.com/
No preservative should be needed, but since the common practice is to mix 50-50 with water I think anti-freeze would be a good idea for cold weather use. The lure company can probably supply antifreeze for you, or a guy could simply buy recreational vehicle antifreeze. No need for filtering urine unless it is collected from bottom of a coyote pen or something where it could pick up chunks of droppings or something.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Rich Higgins

My dial up would send me error pages when I logged on to FNF so I haven't even een able to read the posts here. This high speed rocks.

Hi Bob D, I order the urine by the gallon from Montgomery Furs in Utah. I use equal amounts of at least four different urines, and I experiment with other ingredients. Clam juice and vanilla extract both work well.

Hey Nelson, I don't use a preservative. I use a lot of mist and it usually doesn't last very long. When I do use something that has been laying around for a long while it seems to work in the same way as the fresh urines. I'm sure  that the coyote can tell the difference, but since the objective  is to give him something that he can't make sense of the older urines may even work better.

Hey caller223, it's good to see you here Mr. Grantham. :wink:

It is VERY important to strain the mist. I use panty hose and strain it twice. The finer the the mist the better because it will suspend in the air  longer and move downwind farther than heavier droplets. It is important to wash the nozzle well after each days use for that reason as well. The California boys that developed this technique use an atomizer as a mister and get an extremely fine mist from it. The atomizers are so small that I'll go through a couple of refills on each stand so I use a garden sprayer from Walmart and adjust the spray nozzle down for the finest mist possible.

Here's a brief refresher course for those whose initials are keekee and anyone else who may need it.
DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW AND DON'T SPIT INTO THE WIND.
Those are basic concepts that should be applied to misting. :eyebrownod:
In heavy cover and broken terrain where this technique is most useful, the shooter should be waaaay downwind and on the otherside of a ridge or thick cover with his muzzle covering the likely approach avenue.  If he gets a snootful of mist way out there you are using the best mister in the world or calling in a hurricane. (I did that with Brent once) :biggrin:

Bob D

Thanks for the reply Rich. When you are misting with the garden sprayer on a stand how long do you let er run and are there any other techniques you use? Like spraying in a 360 degree circle ,etc .
Bob

Rich Higgins

[Thanks for the reply Rich. When you are misting with the garden sprayer on a stand how long do you let er run and are there any other techniques you use? Like spraying in a 360 degree circle ,etc .
/quote]]
Quote[Thanks for the reply Rich. When you are misting with the garden sprayer on a stand how long do you let er run and are there any other techniques you use? Like spraying in a 360 degree circle ,etc .
/quote][/ftp]

Bob, I stay on stand as long as I have confidence in it. Some as long as an hour. Occasionally as short as 5 minutes. Usually 20-30 minutes.
Spraying  360 degrees is probably not a good idea cause a couple of those degrees are going to be straight upwind. :biggrin: If I can enter the stand with the wind in my face then I have only polluted my downwind so I will begin misting before I sit down holding the bottle as high as possible to get as much distance as possible. I will get a lot of mist downwind before I begin calling. I want the mist there before the coyotes. If I have to enter crosswind then the entire downwind quadrant will be polluted so I may mist repeatedly as I walk toward my stand and then do as I previously stated. That way any lingering human scent will be tempered by the mist. Not fool proof but it works often enough that I usually try it.

wv_yoter

Rich I was curios about the pic on pg 48 it looks like the elk inc. scent piss-tol. Is the blend you use some what the same? I'm curios if any spray bottle will work ?
Jason

Rich Higgins

QuoteRich I was curios about the pic in on pg 48 it looks like the elk inc. scent piss-tol is the blend you use some what the same? I'm curios if any spray bottle will work ?
You have a good eye. :eyebrownod:
I carry that on my calling belt at all times because it is small and handy, comes with it's own belt holster. It is, however, straight coyote urine and is marketed as a cover scent. Ifill it with my recipe and always have it with me. When calling cover I take a large sprayer. $1.87 at Wal-Mart.
Any trigger sprayer that produces a fine mist will work.