• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

When do ya'll start calling?

Started by ErictheRed, September 07, 2007, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErictheRed

I have not been on lately, been real busy.  I'm starting to get that feeling now that it is getting closer to cool weather.

I don't see much going on in the pred forum, so I guess ya'll must be as hot as I am.

I figure by the beginning of Oct it will be getting right! :highclap:

studabaka

I'm figuring about the same as you Eric, though they might be getin going sooner up north. Down here the cover is still real thick.... my plan is to get a little venison in the freezer and then start thinking about them dogs..... course I might just blow a little distress before breaking my stands  :innocentwhistle:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Bopeye

Have already been calling a little bit, but the heat is a humdinger for sure. I'd prefer for it to at least drop down into the 70's.  :whew:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

I always try to start about five minutes after I've settled into my stand, with no noise.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

:shrug: Whaaaaaaaaat?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Nelson

I'm with Stu.  We ate the last of the deer meat Labor Day weekend, so I guess I'll have to get some more.  Gun season starts toward the end of October and hopefully it will be a little cooler by then.  If a yote happens by though, I ain't passing it up.   :eyebrownod:

Nelson

weedwalker

I went for 1 stand just before dark on Labor day. Had 1 coyote come in to 20' behind me and I got busted. No shot. :madd: Might go again this evening or tommorow. Depends on how hot it gets.

MI VHNTR

I'm heading out early next week. It's a bit of a late start for me, but I'm waiting to bring my nephew on his first coyote hunt. Hopefully, he  gets off to a good start. I'm taking him to a favorite spot that has produced over the years. On a sidenote, I woke up at 4:50 AM this morning and the coyotes were really singing in the neighborhood. MI VHNTR
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

I had a farmer that gives me access, call this morning and tell me that with all the rain we've been having, it formed some quicksand ground around his pond. (Which is hidden inside a heavily wooded area)
He said a cow wondered in there last night and fell through the ground up to her shoulders. The coyotes were nice enough to see if they could pull her out.

I think I'll go out tonight after supper and set up till dark,  :highclap:  he said he cant get near her with any equipment to get her out.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

newbomb

I dont usualy start yet but its been cooling off nicely in the evenings. I have only made one stand so far but its hard holdin out!

keekee

Its just to hot here right now. Should start getting some cool nights soon though. It wont be long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent

bowjunkie

just as soonas the doc says I can go  :biggrin:

DGF

AS soon as it gets cold enough for the pelts to get thick.

vvarmitr

Should be out there right now instead of answering this post. :doh2:

BigB

There is still standing corn in the fields that I usually call at.  The farmer is always late getting his corn out of the field.  Sometimes it ain't until Thanksgiving till he gets it out.  I'll probably start scouting in the next few weeks.  And probably start calling in late October.  I don't deer hunt, so I have to be careful where I go so I don't piss off the bow hunters.  I absolutely love calling in November before pheasant season opens and before gun season opens for deer.  Once the pheasant hunters hit the fields, the coyotes start to get smart again.  My success rate before pheasant season is about 1 coyote per 2-3 stands.  After pheasant season, it is about 1 per 3-4 stands.  After deer season, it is about 1 per 5-6 stands.  After Christmas and in January, I am lucky to get 1 per 8-10 stands.  I leave em alone starting in February to make more for next season.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

CCP

I started awhile back some,It is just so hot. 3 weeks ago we called 3 different coyotes on 3 different stands and my shooter missed 2 of them. Went this morning and called 2 coyotes in but they got down wind and bolted before we could get a clean shot.

Probably from here on out we will be hunting every weekend.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11