• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Field testing the new Foxpro Scorpion

Started by possumal, September 29, 2007, 10:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Well fellow yoters, the first field test done with the new Scorpion mini caller has to be rated successful. I took my grandson, Jonathan, this afternoon, and the first time I turned the caller on, in came 3 big coyotes, 2 of which are no longer with us.  Pictures to be posted tomorrow when I get back home to my computer.  The little caller is doing all one could ask of it so far. Volume setting was 25 using the Coyote & Rabbit sound, and the yotes came from over 600 yards away with the breeze in my face.  I carried the caller into the field in a cargo pocket of my hunting pants. Dynamite in a small package for sure.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jeb

weedwalker

Way to go Al. :congrats: Sounds like you put the smack on 'em with that new scorpion. :yoyo:

wv_yoter

Jason

FinsnFur

Quote from: possumal on September 29, 2007, 10:36:25 PM

I turned the caller on, in came 3 big coyotes, 2 of which are no longer with us.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

I didnt even know they had a new caller. Scorpion huh?  :confused:

I need to get out more often  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I didn't even know they had a new caller. Scorpion huh?  :confused:

I need to get out more often  :eyebrow:

That is one of the hazards of becoming a computer geek.   :innocentwhistle:

wv_yoter

Al, what can you tell us about the new tx-200 remote. There website talks it up but what do you think about it ?
Jason

possumal

Quote from: wv_yoter on September 30, 2007, 05:23:09 PM
Al, what can you tell us about the new tx-200 remote. There website talks it up but what do you think about it ?

I have been using the TX-200 ever since I upgraded to the FX-5 last year, and it has never failed me.  I have actually hid the FX-5 in a brush pile in a sink hole, and the remote works both it and the JIB flawlessly.  Like anything else new, it takes a while to get used to something different, but it is so much better than the FX-3 remote that it is hard to list all the points.  The main one is the volume indicator.  Knowing what volume the caller is operating at even when you can't hear it is an important feature. Once you have proven time and time again that it is operating at the volume indicated, you learn to trust it and that makes it a really useful feature. Next the 4 presets that are so simple to set, combined with a recall button, give you so much versatility you feel like a kid with his first bicycle. Not just being able to set the presets easily, but to be able to set them at the volume you want for that particular sound is equally impressive to me.  Having the "Aux" button operate the JIB, including the squeaker voice, is a great feature also.  Many coyotes have responded to that squeak and honed in on the decoy when I turn the sound off that brings them in to begin with.  Some hunters believe in turning the caller on and leaving the sound on throughout the stand without changing volume or muting for periods of silence, but I don't believe that at all.  Too much calling is a big mistake that most ecaller owners make, with too much volume being a close second.  You'll call in coyotes doing things a lot of ways, but natural is best to my way of thinking.  Too many hunters go by what they can hear instead on concentrating on what the coyote can hear.  I believe that is where all the emphasis on extreme volume got started. The battery life indicator for the remote is fairly important as it won't work at full efficiency if the battery is about used up. I keep my remote inside my shirt in extreme cold to help keep the battery warm, and I keep the battery compartment on the FX-5 carrying case insulated, which helps the operating battery last better.  Hope this info helps.  The new Scorpion mini caller, presently being field tested by the Field Staff, used the same remote with some clever changes.  More later on that.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

wv_yoter

Thanks possumal, I kinda wish I had waited and got one of those. I can see one of those little fellas on my wish list for next year.  :eyebrow:
Jason

possumal

Pictures of yesterday's hunt results and today's are posted in the Hunting Photo section. The field testing on the Scorpion has been sort of impressive so far.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Gary in CA

After using several of these e-callers through the last couple of years, it gets to be a lot easier to pick out the fine points and point out the details.  I can usually find a few faults with anyone's gear, whether it's WT, Minaska, or FoxPro.  Here's my quick take on the FoxPro FX5 remote.  The TX-200 works well.  It has lots of features and as good a range as it gets with a half-watt transmitter.  Here's the downsides.  Getting to the exact sound you want can be tricky.  The screen shows 5 sounds at a time and starts with #'s 1-5, #1 at the bottom.  If I want sound #6, I twist a knob and a highlighted section starts sliding up the screen, moving from #1 to #5.  When I keep turning past #5, the screen changes, #6-#11 now show up, but the highlight bar stays at the top of the screen on #11.   It doesn't go from #5 to #6; it goes from #5 to #11.  So getting from #5 to #6 means I have to go up one row and then down 5 rows.  This would be ok if my eyes were better and I could read the screen clearly.  But when I got to be about 50 yo, I started wearing reading glasses to see up close.  The font on the TX-200 is too small for me to see without glasses.   I don't need them to shoot, and wear a headnet, a hat, and sunglasses when I'm on a stand.  Changing to reading glasses is not an option.   While I like the FX5 for various reasons, the remote is not one of them.  I use the four presets only and configure them with two rabbits, a coaxer, and a coyote distress for after the shot.  If I get tired of the sounds, I change the presets between stands, in the truck, with my glasses on.  It's a great remote if you can see it and use it.  One last point is the screen itself.  It is flat, shiny, and very reflective.  It can throw a pretty good glint in the sun, especially at sunrise and sunset.

When I'm hunting, I don't want to have to look at the remote, period.  Too much information and too much movement.  Sticking a glue bump or two on the remote buttons I use the most - the mute and  preset 1 allows me to find those buttons and the other presets without looking at the remote whether it's on a lanyard or in my pocket.  That's the way I hunt with it.  Granted, most of the advanced features, except the easy-to-change volume-adjustable presets, are lost on me.

THO Game Calls

That's my take on the new FP remote too.   The screen is to darn small for me to see without reading glasses.  Glad I am not the only one who feels this way about it.

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Todd Rahm

For the money ya spend on them, combined with fact that the one ya get is out dated before its delivered, hell FoxPro should just start a leasing program.  :biggrin:

I'm with Jerry. I must be sheltered too, cause this is the second time in just as many days, I even heard of the "Scorpion"

But, like the part about it fitting in the cargo pocket.  :wink:

Pilgrim

QuoteThat's my take on the new FP remote too.   The screen is to darn small for me to see without reading glasses.  Glad I am not the only one who feels this way about it.

Yep, that's the same boat I'm in now - Just like Gary described.   Up close, I need reading glasses.  I can see great for shooting.   I tried to rig a square piece of flat, magnifying plastic over the screen on the remote.   Fastened it with little pieces of velcro at each corner so it could be removed.   It did make it more readable...But it just wasn't solid enough and I ended up losing it.   I might give that another try though.

THO Game Calls

We were speaking about Fly Fishing in another thread, and you know what might work?  Those flip focal things you wear on the brim of your hat.  They are pretty small and only cost a little bit.  Might be worth a shot.  But even with that, it's still something else to loose in the woods.

My remote now you just push a couple numbers then send and you are good to go.  Still have a sound list, but if I used it more I would proably remember what sounds were where.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Gary in CA

FoxPro has 4 new callers -  one that looks like the M-1, two that include similar components to the Big Country Bandit, and another that looks very WTesque, with the guts and battery built into a TOA CS speaker.  Minaska has another Bandit upgrade coming with more remote features and a new unit copying FoxPro's Sno Cro Pro.  Game Traks supposedly is releasing a working prototype - that claims 50 watts.

Older guys have more money to spend and that's not lost on anyone.  FoxPro will  upgrade their remote if they want older hunters to be able to see the damn thing.

possumal

I'll try to answer several of the points brought up by several people.  I personally put clear stick on buttons on each of the remote numbers and words, making it far more user friendly.  I made posts to that effect on Foxpro Forum, Fins and Fur, and I believe on Predator Masters.  It gives you a big advantage for feel of the click.  I had no problem at all remembering which button is which, kind of like braille.  Mute doesn't go anyplace, Aux. doesn't either, same for Recall and the 4 presets.  Like Gary in Ca, I use the presets and the recall to my advantage.  I never did feel like I needed 200 sounds to hunt with, so I configured my sounds to 100 sounds with a space between each one, making it a lot easier for my 68 year old eyes.  The stick on buttons are available at Lowe's and all those kinds of stores, and make a big difference in the user friendly end, especially in really cold weather if you are wearing gloves. The presets are so simple to change that I do that on lots of stands during the two minutes of so of silence I always allow when I have first set down.  With my bifocals on, I have no trouble reading the print with all 200 sounds showing up or any of the info like the volume indicator.  The competition between the various companies is a good thing for hunters, in my opinion.  Finally, I put the clear stick on buttons on the TX-200 for the Scorpion also for my field testing purposes. It has worked flawlessly so far.  It just makes the operation of the remote so much easier.  I have never experienced the reflection element that Gary of Ca mentioned, but we can't hunt at night here in Ky., and if a coyote can see anything on my TX-200, I'd be in trouble because he'd be in my lap or worse  :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

I understand the frustrations concerning the FoxPro remote control.  I can't read the fine print  on the screen without my reading glasses either.  I handle that little problem by putting on my glasses at home, picking out four of my favorite calling sounds and placing them  in the four "preset" buttons. This way I don't have to mess with dialing in  a sound while on my calling stand. I don't see a need for more than four sounds at touch of a button.  If you want to change a preset or two during the day, simply do it in the truck. Don't forget to have a pair of glasses  in the truck though.  :)
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

possumal

I couldn't agree with Rich any stronger about 4 presets being plenty.  One of the first things I reported to Foxpro when I first received my upgrade from FX-3 to FX-5 was that a lot of older hunters would have trouble reading the fine print on the remote screen. You can rest assured that is one thing that Foxpro will make changes to.  As I stated before, it helped me a lot to only load 100 sounds with a space between each line. It makes it much easier to read with or without my cheater glasses.  It helps even more to have your numbered sounds start with 001, 003, 005, and so on, as this results in additional space between the info at the bottom of the screen and your first sound, 001.  I always keep the Coyote Death Cry as Preset 4, ready to punch in after a shot coyote. Then you can punch your recall button to go back to the sound that you were using when you called the first one in.  It takes a little thinking and planning like most good things, but it is so far superior to the remote for the FX-3, especially the volume indicator.  Knowing what that sound is volume wise when you are far enough away from it to not be able to hear it yourself is a big plus. If I don't have my cheater glasses with me, I have no trouble reading the sound list without any glasses at all, being a nearsighted marsupial.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

onecoyote

Dang, I think both you guys are to old for this game. You can't see, probably can't hear and forget the sex part of life lol. It's all over boys, forget it.
Leave the hunting to all the modern young guys that have there act together, you old boys are washed up, done, over the hill, finished. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:BUT God bless you both for living to be that old. :iroll: