• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Few more calls I've been messin with

Started by iahntr, October 16, 2007, 07:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

I've made a few more, outta some different wood, or a little different designs. I'm still a little frustrated, seems I can usually find one or two things I wished woulda turned out a little better on every call I do. I gotta admit, I can be pretty tough on myself though. I'm also somewhat limited with the lathe and tools that I have. So I have kind of a question for you all. Do I let some of these go, knowing I can do better? I have mixed feelings on this. You can look back at most peoples work and see it progress, and I think some of these calls are too nice to just lay around here. But,  :eyebrownod: I hate to put out what I think is kinda "sub par" work.
:shrug: :madd: :confused:
Take a look, let me know what ya think. Please be as specific with feedback as you'd like. Thanks, Scott

Sorry kinda long I guess. Last one, turned Axis antler.
Scott

Braz

I'm not one to go about slapping folks on the back just to be hearing myself talk. I do want to tell you that those calls look wonderful. I think anyone that is turning out good stuff will tell you that it can be better. If we didn't feel that way, we would never get any better. It can always be better. But those look wonderful and I think you should feel good about letting others share your calls.
Braz

Bills Custom Calls

Not sure how to respond

Maybe you could be a little more specific of what you don't like

This is what I see a nice finish a call style that is different from others and should be a hit on the market

I believe every call maker will agree that there is always something to improve on the next call. So if your waiting on perfections before you offer one to the public you will never sell a call,But have a room full of nice looking calls
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Coulter

I really like the design of call 1 and 4, the set of coco calls is super as well. Other than very minute alterations (I tend to be a perfectionist too) I wouldn't change a thing on them. The #5 burl call is an awesome piece of wood, but the design doesn't do much to compliment it. This is just my opinion though. I probably would have given it a bit more pizazz. Judging from the other calls you turned you definitely have more pizazz in ya.

I like them most of all because they don't look anything like mine :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bill is right...if you are waiting to turn the perfect call you are going to get very frustrated. Take a break from turning and let your mind wander a bit...heck go hunting :wink: Just remember...there is ALWAYS room for improvement no matter how subtle it may be.

Oh yeah, I can see the progress from my work that I did a year ago...and yikes. There are people that actually paid money for those things :shrug: Thwey weren't bad call I guess, but they certainly are inferior to my sub-par calls that I turn today :biggrin:

Steve

THO Game Calls

Well, aren't we getting artsy fartsy  :roflmao:   :roflmao:

You've done a beautiful job on that bunch.  Very impressive. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Todd Rahm

Quoteseems I can usually find one or two things I wished woulda turned out a little better on every call I do. I gotta admit, I can be pretty tough on myself though

This to you might be a hindrance, but actually its a good trait you see in a lot of the top call spinners.  :wink:

QuoteDo I let some of these go, knowing I can do better?

:sick2: I'm not sure exactly when ya started spinning, but from the pictures I can say ya ended up above the average, and a Lil' a head in class so to speak.  :biggrin: They are all nice calls, and some are really sharp..........the only problem I see is......I can't figure out which one I want to buy.  :biggrin:

Serious though, at first glance at these calls, the only thing I was checking for was blemishes on the brass bands, as the calls already spoke for themselves. The woods are all nice selections, and they all have nice designs and shapes to them. With out you pointing out any flaws they may have or you may think they have. I think they are to the point at being checked in the hand.  :congrats:

QuoteYou can look back at most peoples work and see it progress, and I think some of these calls are too nice to just lay around here. But,   I hate to put out what I think is kinda "sub par" work.

They are too nice to lay around, and you'll progress, you just started out a little better, that's all. Again what you say here is  a great quality.

So keep it up and tell me which one I can buy?  :innocentwhistle:

BigB

You ought to be darn proud of those.  They are some real lookers.  They look as if you have been turning out calls for years.  Top notch stuff.  My favorite would be the 1st call.  It has good shape, and you really could pass it off as a duck call as well.  In my opinion, the last coco open reed looks the best of the open reeds. 

You shouldn't think twice about offering up those.  Don't be overly hard on yourself, but always turn the out the next one better than the previous.

Very nice calls.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

FinsnFur

I think they look good,...... Rrrrrrrrrreal good. Whether or not you should sell this should be based on two things. How you feel about them and how they sound.

If a call is the best looking thing since sliced bread, literally, ..but sounds like crap. It aint really worth much.

There are SO many call makers out there today and more taking it up every day, that as a call maker if you can't offer the public a niche, design, or sound that isn't available elsewhere and stay at the top of the game, you'll fall to the way side quick. Some of the products coming out of these shops are tried and true pieces of art. The common woods, simple spin and buff calls are going to be a thing of the past, something to compare old times to.
The competition runs rampid  and there's more coming.  :eyebrownod:

With that said......if I could hear any of the calls I'd probably buy any one of, if not every one of, those calls iahntr because they are definitely in the game.   :yoyo: Very nice work my friend, and like Todd said your skepticism shows your true character.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

When I started selling calls they didn't look as good as these calls.  The burls would have to be my pick.

Yerry

iahntr

alpenliter, Thank you for the compliment

Bill, It's just kinda the typical stuff like, finish, something a little uneven, or like the little "chip outs" on top of the red/black lam. call.  "Room full of nice calls"  That's what I was thinkin, I'd have a perty good, and growing call collection, the only problem, they'd be mostly mine. :doh2: :laf:

Steve, Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! I see where you're comin from on the amboyna call. It started out as a bottle stopper blank, so I didn't have much wood to work with.  I wished I had a bunch more just like it.

:holdon: :holdon:   OK Al,   Which part is artsy fartsy?.......And who you callin Steve?   :mad2: :mad2:
:wink:               :eyebrow:                :laf:

Todd, Thanks for the compliments! I actually bought my lathe,  for like $68.00 on close out at Menard's,  :eyebrow: :laf:, I think it was in March, or April.  :biggrin:  The first call, the cocobolo set, and axis call are actually gone already. (before I made this post) If you, or anybody else, is interested in one of these calls let me know. Or if somebody see's a call they like, and would like it in a different wood, or somethin you'd like to see changed a little, I'm open for suggestions.

Brian, Thanks for your opinion, compliment, and advice. I appreciate it.

Jim, Thank You very much, and I agree with everything you said. I may, in the near future, post some sound clips to get some opinions on that too. The toneboards I used on these open reeds are the same ones that I used on the call I placed 2nd with in our little calling contest we had. That soundclip should still be on here somewhere I think. My other sound clip was from a little closed reed that I made. From these two calls here.

Thanks a lot Yerry   :biggrin:
Thanks guys, Scott
Scott

studabaka

Send the axis antler my way..... I'll be happy to post an assessment of the sound  :biggrin:

Very nice looking calls. Your next step is to get some out in the field.  :congrats:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Brad H

Looks like you're on top of this game, Scott. And that's not considering you're still new to callmaking. I really like the last two calls with the .338 case in between. ( :innocentwhistle:)

Don't let that self doubt thing mess with your head. The more time you spend with your eyes focused on that call, the more likely you are to question the end result. That happens with me every time. It's really bad with the ones I have 7 to 10 hours in. Even if the work has gone flawlessly, by that point my judgment of that particular call is so distorted I don't know what to think. Same if I break it down into several days or weeks. But the end result fed to someones eyes in a well taken pic is a whole different world to them. Anyway, that's what happens to me and if it rings a bell maybe it will help you understand that aspect.

Brad

keekee

I don't comment much on new calls or call makers in the open forum, just don't feel right to me for some reason, but I will say that they look very nice. I think you did a fine job! The lines look good, finish, and shapes are fine.

I will go back to what Jim said and that's sound! Sound means everything in a call to me. I have a fair collection and have been able to try allot of calls, they can look awesome but they need to have good sound and kill predators. That says allot about the call.

They look good my friend! I think you did very well! I liked #4 the best.

Brent

HaMeR

Those are some super duper dang nice fancified calls right there. I doubt anyone here would mind owning one or 3 of those for their personal collection and/or field use. I think you done real good on them & #1 & #4 are my favs!! :congrats: :congrats:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

frshwtr

i'm just a baby at this and really had the money to start getting more calls; so many of you make such good looking calls. i would say at this point yours would be one i'd buy. right now i guess i'm onlt into buying what is needed to start a year of mostly mouth type calls. guess i'm going to have to start a list of what i'n seen from whom and pinch some pennies.

THO Game Calls

Well Scott, it was late and my eyes were as tired as my fingers.   Honestly at first I thought Steve C had made the post - which you should take as a compliment because he is one very fine call maker.  It wasn't until later that I realized they were your calls.

But you will see I went back and corrected myself.

I think the first picture is right up there with some of the better duck calls I have seen turned.   Very well done, and yes it is Artsy to me.   Just a beautiful call in my eyes.  Even this morning when I am awake!

The matched set right before the axis antler call are also very nice.

All in all, I am really impressed with the style and detail you put into the calls.  The finish looks outstanding also.   If you had been around 5 years ago, and seen some of the calls that were being sold you would understand how far predtor calls have come.   Many of the new call makers coming into the hobby are excellent craftsmen and are doing what I would consider to be top shelf work, yours among them.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

HaMeR

So what would a feller have to pay for ol #4 up there?? :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bob D

Your calls seem to show very well. I like most of your wood selections and all your call styles.. I don't care for the cap on the call 5 open reed. I do like the wood and the call style on this call. JMO
Bob

Troy Walter

Very nice looking calls.And I know how you feel with all great looking calls on here you want yours to be perfect.Then when you do get that one right you want to keep it.

iahntr

Stu, that one is one of em that was gone before I posted this. I think I may have enough Axis left to hook ya up with one sometime if you'd like.

Brad, Thanks I appreciate it. You're exactly right, sometimes the more I look at it, the more I pick it apart. :nono:  Man you know your ammo, how'd you know that's what it was?  :eyebrow: :nono: minus a couple hundred grains right. :laf:

Brent, Thank You for commenting on the calls, I appreciate your feedback ! I agree on the sound of the calls, and I wanna make sure mine look good, and sound good both.

HaMer, Thank You, and pm sent

frshwtr, Thanks, and that's the way ta do it, get what ya need to get the job done first. There's plenty of call makers that provide a lot of different styles.

Al, Thanks for the high compliment. Thanks for all the help that you've given me, very much appreciated !

Bob, Thanks a lot for your honest opinion, that's what I always want. You say you don't care for the cap on call #5, can you explain a little further exactly what you don't like. Thanks

Thanks Troy, I haven't done one yet that I thought was so nice that I had to keep for myself. I think I'll have plenty to use though. :eyebrownod:
Scott