• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rabid Racoon

Started by Carolina Coyote, October 16, 2007, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

This may sound a little far fetched but its a true story, My Brother - in law was at his Hunt club Last Thursday evening when he came back to camp he was the first one back at camp he sat down in a chair at the camp table and the first thing he knew there was a Rabid raccoon a hold of his leg, the raccoon came up from behind him and attacked, he jumped up and kicked the coon off his leg the coon ran under the table my Brother - in law grabbed a chair as the coon came back at him and he fought him off, this went on for about 15 minutes , the coon finally ran under the table out of site and my Brother - in law reached behind himself to  grabbed a 2x4 to try to kill the raccoon but the raccoon had disappeared. The coon cut several gashes in my Brother - in laws  leg and he is currently taking the Rabies shot which are very painful. This was the second person that I know of that has been bitten by a raccoon in the past couple of weeks. Just wanted past this along so everyone will be aware while out hunting .cc

keekee

Thats not good!!!!!!!!!! I wish him the best!

Brent

Hawks Feather

I only have read about the shots and they do sound painful.  I wish him the best.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yikes!  :shck:
Sounds like Kyle at the LBL when Brent tried to snag a hunk of cake off his plate.

Seriously though, I hope things turn out well for him.  :wink:
Thanks for the reminder Carl, that anything is possible.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

The current shot regiment is not near as bad as the old abdominal series, but the thickness of the surum is still pretty uncomfortable from what I hear .... still better than the alternative. The last ADC class I was in highlighted [again] that the raccoon population in the east is still the most effected by rabbies and every raccoon should be treated and handled as if it is rabid. Doesn't sound like your BIL had much control over the situation. Good he got treated asap.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

iahntr

Man that would make ya soil yourself.  :shck:  Sit down to relax a little, and out of site comes somethin nawin on your leg.
That stinks, but glad it wasn't worse.
Scott

keekee

QuoteYikes! 
Sounds like Kyle at the LBL when Brent tried to snag a hunk of cake off his plate

No Kidding! Like to took my damn finger off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Brent

vvarmitr

Sure hope your BIL gets a clean bill of health. :wink: If not stay the heck away from him. :huh:

Coulter

Holy Crap...that is unreal :shck: Hope everything works out okay for him....until then trap more coon :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve

Carolina Coyote

I not sure about any new surum the Stu is talking about my BIL is a big man 6'5' and weights around 300 lbs and they are treating him by his weight needles in his adominal area , arms and legs, he says it very painfull.cc

studabaka

They had a speaker talk about it at the NC wildlife damage control recertification session this past spring. They also said that there is a vacine that they recommend anyone regularly dealing with wildlife get.... it's pricey, but seems to me they indicated in was a thick surum and ya had to have a series of shots, but it was in the arm. I'll pull out the handouts cause I left with the impression that the abdominal shots were no longer required, but maybe only in the case of vacination.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff