• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My first called cat

Started by studabaka, October 17, 2007, 06:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Bob cat season opened monday here. It was 80 degrees at 4pm and I just didn't feel like making a deer stand so I decided to try a bit of calling behind the house. Set up along the edge of a gulley that comes off the back of a bean field and drops through some hardwoods to a thick [but bone dry] drainage. Set my decoy up high near the top of the gulley and I tucked in 40 yards down along the edge of it. Wind was a bit squirrely, but mostly running diagonally from the top, so most of the time my down wind was the bean field. I had brought a bunch of calls...THO, Hawks Feather, and a nice little Buffalo horn open reed I got from Bearmanric. All got some air time and I was blowing them towards the decoy hoping it would give the impression as the wind carried it back down the gulley that it was coming from up that away. I'd call for 30 seconds or so and then wait a couple minutes. At first I was trying my rabbit stuff but then started trying to make bird sounds on Rick's open read. It was pretty pathetic and a bit slobbery. Probably 40 minutes into this call practice I was deciding if I should give another bird slobber or break stand..... then a bit of movement in the bottom of the gulley. Here comes a nice bob cat up the bottom just walking along steady. It passes behind a little patch of bramble and I raise my 22-250. It's 20-25 yards away. It comes out the other side still walking steady. I pull on it's shoulder and fire. It does a summersault and starts flopping. I'm working to get another round in and trying to watch it at the same time. It jumps up and runs a circle back past me at probably 10 yards. I see blood on it's shoulder, which is the opposite shoulder that I shot so I know I have a through shot, but how is this thing running  :confused: I can't get it in the scope as it tears buy and heads back toward the drainage.

I got up and started following it's path. didn't see any blood except I see this little red thing that looked like a seed. Pick it up and the red starts coming off on my fingers and it's a piece of bone. Start doing sections figuring I'm going to come across it at any moment, but as the light faded I still hadn't located it and spoting blood was becoming almost impossible. I ended up quiting the search for the night, but that bugger has got to be really close by and hopefully I will find it in the morning.

That is my first called, shot, and hit critter and I sure hope I'm also able to recover it  :puke:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

Way to GOOOOO!   You'll find him, I know you will cause it sounds like you whacked him pretty good.  Congratulations!

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

Stay with him Stu.....hang something in a bush at the last spot of blood...then either do grids or concentric circles....he's there....be sure to look under everything...

Congrats!!!

Joe

Troy Walter

Good Job and good luck hope you find it.That is something I would love to do is have a chance to hunt bobcats.

Coulter

Cool story Stu...way to go man!! I hope you find him. I'd love to come and help ya, but you'll probably have him located before I could get there :biggrin: Don't give up on him and make sure you post some pics when you do get him.

Steve

Bopeye

That's awesome Stu....... :yoyo:

I'm proud of ya my friend. I really hope you find the cat, but if not, ya still did it buddy....... :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

HaMeR

You may have hit him in the shoulder & missed the vitals.  :confused:  The day I went & listened to Byron South speak here in Ohio he told me Bobcats can take a beating. He's shot them with a 75gr bullet from a 243 & still had to bring out the tracking dogs.

Nevertheless,,, don't give up on that cat cuz he's prolly hit good enough that when he lies down he'll stiffen up & you'll find him hidden in the thick stuff!!  Take a little handgun with you too & look near water.  :wink:

BTW-- I almost forgot>> CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bob D

I had something similiar happen last year on my last cat of the season. I called it up and shot it about 30 yards away with a 22-250. It ran like hell for about 50 yards then it fell. You will find it tomorrow if you look hard enough.
Bob

KySongDog

Congratulations, Stu!   :congrats:

You'll find it tomorrow.  We want pics!!

Semp

Hawks Feather

Stu,

Way to go on the calling.  Now go find that cat.

Jerry

iahntr

:highclap: :highclap: Very cool Stu !! You'll be runnin that a few times through your head tonight.  :laf:
That has to be very exciting ! Wish ya the best on findin that sucker tomorrow.
Scott

centerfire_223

Way to go Stu!!! I called up my first cat last season and I know I was pumped.   :yoyo:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

He hasn't reported back........ :confused:
I'm wondering here. What'd you come up with Stu? Dont make us come find you.  :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Arkyyoter

I bet he's already out here!!! Good luck Stu and stay with it!!

Joe

studabaka

Here kitty kitty ...... I'm heading out now.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Iahntr was spot on. It just keeps replaying. it kind goes something like  :shck: :biggrin: :confused: :puke: :doh2:  :madd: :shrug: hopefully I can add a :hahaha: :biggrin: :yoyo: to the ending
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

nailbender

Good luck Stu! We're pullin for ya!

Arkyyoter

I bet ya a pretty he is within 100 yards of where he was last seen...

PICS STU!!!!!!

5 SHOTS

When I read through the original post I thought " if that was me out there nobody would know about the cat until I found it because I would be crawling around in the dark feeling for fur 2 states away " I sure hope you find him
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

possumal

Hey Stu:  Congrats on your first called in, shot critter.  Perhaps a cat scan would help?  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

studabaka

No luck so far.... lots of snakes, turles, and briars, but no cat. Have to do a bit of work work then will try a bit more  :madd: