• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Thursday hunt

Started by rwehuntn, November 17, 2007, 08:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwehuntn

Hey guys,

Don't hva timr to post the story right now, but here is the picture. Story to follow asap, going hunting this morning.

Bills Custom Calls

Looks like a nice kitty     
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

DirtyDog

SAWEET. I am hoping to bag one of them this year.  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

That had to make your day...let's hear ...like Paul Harvey used to say..."the rrresst of the story.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Maybe it is the fact that we don't have cats around here (couldn't hunt them in Ohio anyway), but I like the looks of them.

Jerry

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Arkyyoter

rwehuntn

Here it is, the rest of the story.

On Thursday, I took the day off work to go hunting. I decided at about 0600 not to go hunting and take the kids to school and make calls instead. I decided my wife deserved a sleep in day because she seems to enjoy that more than anything (If she is happy, so am I). At around 0800 she woke up an asked why I was not hunting. I told her and she said to get the gear together, we were going hunting (gotta love that) I hit the hunting spots at around 1000. After the first two spots were dry, she said she wanted to go to different places I had not taken her in the past. The first spot I took her to is about a mile walk from where the truck gets parked. This is a spot that I missed the first yote I ever called in about 7 years ago. I don't typically take other people to these type of stands that require long walks to get in because they seem to not like them. Becky is no exception, she was not happy with the walk. I kept her calm by telling her we were almost there, (I don't think she bought it after the fifth time I said it). after we got set up, I turned on the foxpro (I don't us hand calls in the brush anymore, had some near death encounters with savage yotes in the past) and turned on some jackrabbit in pain real low. after the first series, I turuned it up and started the call again. after about a minute, I looked to my right and spotted the bobcat stalking the foxpro about 15 yards to my left. I did not move, hoping he would cross in front of me and present a shot. things went wrong right there. He stopped about five feet from where I spotted him, with brush between him and I. I made the choice to turn on him and blast away. It is not easy to do that in close quarters with a varmint model remington. about the time I get adjusted, the bobcat looked right at me. The brush between us was heavy enough to deflect a bullet but sparse enough to see through. the choice was simple to me, I torched one off and down goes kitty. The heart failure starrted when I saw cat hair floating in the breeze, I figured I had wasted a prime cat pelt. after another few minutes of calling, I went to survey the damage. To my surprise, there was no huge gaping hole in kitty. Bullet went in forward of the left shoulder and exited behind the right shoulder, leaving a hole about the size of a dime. kitty is skinned and in the freezer.

This is the first kitty I have had a shot at in 7 years. The first predator I called in and killed was a bobcat, it was just shy of 40 pounds (verified on a scale) and we don't get them very often here so I am excited. I just wish he had come in on Becky's side so she could have gotten him. Oh well maybe the next time.

And that's the rest of the story. I hope you liked it.

rwehuntn

wv_yoter

Jason

HaMeR

QuoteThe brush between us was heavy enough to deflect a bullet but sparse enough to see through. the choice was simple to me, I torched one off and down goes kitty.

I knew you were shootin thru it right away!! :laf: :laf:    It aint gonna get shot without doin some shootin!! Cool story & a cool Wife!! :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Nelson

A very nice bobcat and a great story!!

:yoyo: :yoyo:

Nelson

finhunter

Beautiful cat! say, Is that Texas in the background?
Bobcats are protected here in Ohio, I need to take a trip down south.

FH
FinHunter

" I've spent most of my life hunting and fishing. The rest of the time was just wasted."

keekee

Nice Kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Brent

Troy Walter