• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

concealment for coyotes

Started by hammeryotes, December 11, 2007, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammeryotes

just curious how serious you guys take your camo when you're calling varmints.  i personally approach it about the same way i do deer or elk hunting.  i wear some camo or earth tone plaids, but don't wear a face mask or any type of scent concealment.  i just pay close attention to the wind and have never given to much credit to the scent blockers.  am i getting busted more than i know.  :wo:

possumal

I personally believe that wearing a face mask and camo gloves is important, especially if you are using hand/mouth calls.  Being able to remain as still as a rock and hunt with your eyes is probably just as important if not more so.  If you are going to use cover scent, I agree with Gerry Blair that skunk is probably the overall best.  Paying attention to the wind as you are doing is by far more important though.  Use as comfortable a cushion setup as possible to help you keep still.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

DirtyDog

I am about as anal as I can get. I try to wear scent lok, and 100% camo. That is just me though.

CCP

As AL I strongly believe in the face mask and gloves. I have seen them pick my eyes and face out without the mask. I guess for the guys that shoot them as soon as they see them it probably wouldn't make a difference.

I wear camo most of the time but try to make the tops and bottoms a little different color or pattern. I have killed coyotes with my street clothes on, but don't believe I could kill them as consistently as I do wearing the camo. Breaking my human outline is my main goal. I have had several coyotes through the years be looking at me while I am calling and they only make out the fluttering hand. Its like having a decoy on the face they cant see. As far as scent goes I always set up for the down wind set so how I smell is not a problem.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

studabaka

I would also add sitting in the shade with a backstop to break my outline with the sun at my back.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Jimmie in Ky

And make that backstop a dark one to mtch the cammo too. No white oaks for back rest, they will get you in trouble because they are so light colored. Jimmie

vvarmitr

I go w/ the face & hands cover too. If the gun doesn't have a camo finish I camo it too.  The 3D camo I believe has a lot going for it.  I use the Sneaky Leaf pin on leaves & put 'em on my hat, facemask, gloves, & camo out fit. Instead of imitating a bush I am a bush.  :eyebrow:

As a cover scent I use digested bean burrito scent. ;yes;  If your not careful it could end up as a misting technique. :innocentwhistle:  Whatever you do don't use it when wearing coveralls.  :sick2:
:roflmao:

bigben

TMI vic. 

I have allways used a face mask and gloves when calling during the daytime and minimize movement.  I normally set up with a decoy and the ecall in front.  I just keep the gun pointed toward the call and deke because I placed em there for a reason.  that is where I want em to show up.  I know in the mountian the critters tell on more predators then anything.  you really need to pay close attention to the area around you and the caller.  I have found that if a predator is on his way in a squirrel or bird of some sort tells on him.  when I take others out and I keep noticin that they do not like to sit still.  and you will be surprised at how many of em are adults I put a 8ftX 6ft appox pc of 3d netting material over them.  it has a hole cut through the top for thier heads and that is it.  now when they move it makes em look like a bush.  I also try to put some natural brush between me and the call also.  I normally use a shotgun most of the time.  I know from when I first started deer hunting I was afraid of any tree stand over 5 ft tall.  so I hunted on the ground.  if I just sat on a log or against a tree I was picked out like that by deer.  even without moving.  but if I sat against a tree with a few saplings in front of me or beside just to break up my ouline they never noticed.  I will try to get some pics once the weather turns nice of places that have worked a good many times. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Smith

I wear enough camo to break me up, but I have called inda ton without it. I try to shade my face if I for get  my mask, gloves are a given here as it is usually -10 :laf:. I set my caller out in front of me and point my rifle barrel to the down wind side if its not in my face. I lay prone most of the time, when I sit up right I make sure to keep out of the sky line and keep moving to a minimum.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

keekee

I believe in full camo as well. Leafy Wear is what I use. Head net and gloves. My gun is camo but I don't think its a must. But just as important as camo is wear you set and how you set up. They all work together. The best camo in the world wont hide you if you stick out and don't blend in.

Set in the shade and try and keep the sun at your back when you can, keep everything around you dark, try to pick a spot that will have other things behind you or around you to break up your outline. Its the human profile that the pick up on.

A simple way to break up your out line is to pick you up a piece of blind making material at Walmart or the sporting goods store. Cut a hole in the top for your head and two arm holes and let the rest drape down over your body. Great and cheap way to break up your outline.

Brent

crazy_cottontail

Hey VV any particular brand of bean burrito work better than others :roflmao: ?

MELSDAD

The  "Home Wrecker" with black beans from Moe's works well for me....LOL

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

vvarmitr

Quote from: bigben on December 11, 2007, 07:57:01 PMput a 8ftX 6ft appox pc of 3d netting material over them. 
Hey Little Buddy, just what size sheet do you wear? :wo:
You otta know by now I'm full of information ... er ... something like that? :confused:

"Home Wrecker"  :laugh2:  I think that must be what Bonehead ate.  DG wasn't  to happy w/ him at all!  :laugh2:

Now for all intense purposes that cover scent won't stop the coyotes from running off once getting down wind ... usually w/ watery eyes, coughing, & sneezing. Now the next time you call 'em in you can bet your sweet _ _ _  they'll have second thoughts about coming in down wind. :wink:

bigben

vvarmitr

bigben

I would rather be big then smelly vic

now I know how vic hunts.  they run down wind to get a whiff and bam they die from mustard gas.   :laugh3: