• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

To hunt or not to hunt?

Started by hammeryotes, December 13, 2007, 06:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammeryotes

I am planning to go over to the LBL this afternoon and do some poking around.  As bad as I want to call in some yotes, I am a little scepticle.  It is open to rimfire only so the shots have to be close.  Here's the question.  If a guy were to call in a yote and not get a shot because of distance and the coyote eventually busts him, is that spot waisted for the season?  I have heard mixed commentary on whether you should call the same locations more than once a season.  My point is that I don't want to screw myself for the Feb. centerfire season.  A guy has to hunt though !! What do you fella's think?

nailbender

If you aren't in there trying, somebody else probably will be. I don't think a coyotes memory is that good. Especially if you put one in their ear.  Private ground you could maybe save but public,?

weedwalker

I'd hunt it, but I'd be using a shotgun with BB loads instead of rimfire.

onecoyote

A new coyote may be in the area next time you try it. The one you called can be called again if you try a different sound and if you wait a month or two it can probably be called with the same sound. If it's a real stupid coyote you may be able to call it back the same day, it's happened before. :shrug: :confused:

keekee

I agree. I would go call. There is a ton of land in there to hunt as well!

I to would be packing the shotgun!

Brent

FinsnFur

One thing to keep in mind is that the only thing predictable about a coyotes behavior is that...well ... :confused: ...it's unpredictable.

Coyotes dont have text book routines that they react accordingly to. I'd say do your thing, whether you succeed or not, next time in change your approach and your sound.
Coyotes arent stupid, and can be trained just like a house dog. If every time they hear a dying rabbit they get shot at, they are eventually going to learn to avoid that sound, especially if it comes from the same spot every time. Just the same way your dog learns to stop doing what he's doing, every time you yell "NO!"
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

An area is always good if there is a coyote there the first time. You take that one and another will replace it within a few weeks. If you don't take it, there is the possibilty of taking the animals again at a later date with another sound. Can be done again the same day if you know the area and where the animals were going.

And people worry way to much about how they sound or how th calls sound. All calls will work, otherwise they wouldn't be on the market long. But as Jim mentioned, they are like pavlov's dog, they can learn. Having a few calls with slightly diferent pitches to them is wise. And learn a few diferent sounds with your open reeds. Changing up a sound in the middle of a set can change your luck. Jimmie