• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coyotes in NNY

Started by northern coyote, December 28, 2007, 06:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern coyote

Any of Yall ever tried callin' up in Northern New York? 
i'm new to calling (started 1yr ago) but still have yet to get a full blown response from even a fox.
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

northern coyote

is there anything specific that i should be trying?
I've not called the same spots twice in a row yet and I'm watchin the wind, but nuthin is comin to the call but a couple of deer now and again

HaMeR

Is it heavily wooded or thick?? You might be calling them in & getting circled!! I believe here in the East we call more than we ever see.  One things for certain tho,,, you won't kill em from the couch!! :biggrin:  As long as something is responding then something is being done right. Keep at it!! :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

10-4...and another thing to remember is that more times then we want to admit, a coyote will come in and hang up unseen.
You dont see the coyote, so you think you failed. Treat every stand as though there's coyotes watching. Approach and exit as undetected as possible.

Also...coyotes are hardcore sight hounds, they can pick up the movement of a single leaf fluttering from quite a distance. Sit still, still still, and remember always sit still.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

How much snow do you have on the ground?

Are you seeing any sign?

Once it snows, the coyotes have to change their travel patterns.  Take a look at a map of your area, and try to find creek beds, and draws that are out of the wind where the snow wont drift so much.  It makes it easier for them to travel.  They will also use fence lines in the same way. 

Frozen swamps, clear cuts, and any type of edge cover that will hold rabbits or other small game will be good spots to call to. 

With heavy snow, it will take them longer to get to you also.  So don't be afraid to sit a bit longer on stand. 

The last thing, if you really want to know if you are calling anyting, take a walk out from your stand towards the cross wind to down wind side and look for tracks.  You might have called something in and never saw it.  At least you will know you called somethng.

Good luck

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

northern coyote

I took y'all's advice and in fact I did call in a coyote on my latest set came to within 35 yards too!!!

I thought something was there because of the rucous the bluejays were makin' but he was just over a small knol to my left (downwind) in some brush where I had no chance to spot him, next time i'm gonna try slightly more open terrain, with more snow and less wind (next week by the sounds of the forcasts)

THO Game Calls

Good for you on calling one in. 

Here in the north east, it is sometimes good to treat them like deer, and hunt them from a tree stand.  You will be amazed at how many more you see when you get above all the junk on the ground.   

Good luck next week

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

northern coyote

we jsu got dumped on with snow and -0 temps, so from what litttle I know my odds way increase this weekend

Frogman

Hey northern, keep trying, it can be done!
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!