• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How many use a decoy?

Started by cb223, January 01, 2008, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I dont have nearly a pimple's experience as these guys, but I hate carrying anything extra.  For the most part alot of stands around here take some walking to get to.  I have a full coyote mount I made the boy carry but he's onto me about that and it stays at home. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: Silencer on January 02, 2008, 06:10:19 AM
  I have a full coyote mount I made the boy carry but he's onto me about that and it stays at home.

:laf: :laf: It's funny how fast they learn isnt it Silencer. :eyebrownod:
But something like, "clean up after yourself damnit!"...takes 35 years to sink in.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

I carry the jack in the box on allmost every daytime stand.  I have allways liked the results produced by it.  with greys it seems to keep them around.  I know most people that I have talked to say that the greys that come to the call will come agressivley.  in my area it seems that they can be as timid as reds.  before we were allowed to use a electronic decoy I used the old turkey feather trick.  and the times I did not use the turkey feather they would come in look at the call and turn around quickly leaving little to now shot oppurtunity while snaking their way back into the brush.  the decoy I have found gets em interested.  the first thing they do know is come to about 10 or so feet from it and go to the tallest spot in the area.  scope it out and then sneak in on it and play with it.  reds I have not messed with the decoys mainly because I try to call daytime reds in the later season when there seems to be less chow.  as far as coyotes like I said we only recently are allowed to use electronic decoys.  the only coyote I killed was while using the jack in the box.  but since it was at night with a half moon and unusual bright night I figured it could not hurt.  did it help?  I don't know but there is one less coyote out there.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

I have been considering a decoy for a while now & I'm thinking it would also add more human scent to the equation. Does anybody here think spraying the stuff you put on your clothing to deer hunt,, dead downwind comes to mind right off,,  would help eliminate odor from plastic?? Seems like finger oils would still be there.  :shrug: I always play the wind but I have a couple places where it swirls a lot. Thats why I'm interested in a decoy.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Omega47

I use a stuffed rabbit or my little gray stuffed huskie when I'm out calling by myself.   Using a decoy has never worked to bring a dog in but I enjoy all the other animals that go after them.  The most unusual this year has been a little white weasel. It was hillarious watching this little hot dog sized animal trying to drag away my little stuffed huskie.

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Was it a Utah Weasel?? :shrug: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

possumal

I don't use the JIB as much as Arkyoter (90%), but I do use it in setups where coyotes that respond can see it a long way. I call with the wind a lot, and the squeaker voice can be heard by a coyote from a long distance on that kind of setup.  I don't just turn it on and leave it running.  It works great to close the deal once the coyote has seen the thing and heard it. In my opinion, it makes a difference on the more cautious coyotes.  We can't hunt at night in Kentucky, but if we could, I am sure the squeaker voice and the lit up decoy would help. As most of the experienced hunters know, a coyote is pure expert at seeing movement, and he can see the topper shaking at tremendous distances.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

bigben

I have used the squeeker with the light while night hunting reds on full moons and it tends to work. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

onecoyote

I guess it all comes down to how and where you hunt. I don't use a decoy because I don't think I need one to get the animal, it's that simple.

I believe in some cases a decoy could be an asset, but not where I hunt. I see no reason to use one at night because you see the animals eyes and body long before it well ever see the decoy.

In 90% of the cases, If you can see fur it should be dead....Just an oldtimers opinion.

Bob D

I believe it helps having a decoy. I use the Jack in the box and have had good luck with it. Most of the hunting here (Alabama) is in the thick stuff . A decoy seems to divert the predators attention away from you giving you the opportunity to move to the shot. It doesn't always work but what does?
Bob