• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Couldn't close the deal...

Started by centerfire_223, October 14, 2006, 12:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I went out and made a few stands this morning. The first two stands were dry but on the third stand I setup where a finger of woods sticks out into the pasture. I was calling down into a hardwood holler that has a big thicket at the end of it. The wind was blowing sort of into my face but over my left shoulder. I had set up inside the woodline about 15 yards. The way I had it set up the only way a coyote could wind me was get out in the open pasture or get in the 15 yards of woods behind me.

About 10 minutes into the stand I heard something but I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. I knew it had to be a coyote but I just couldn't find it. Well the next time I heard it, it was behind and down wind of me. I seen it take off out across the pasture. I barked at it and got it to stop but wouldn't you know it, it stopped behind a tree.  That was the first coyote I had ever called up on that stand and I never thought I would get busted on that particular stand. Especially with the wind the way it was.

That makes two I have called in this year and haven't gotten to bust a cap on one yet.  :argh: Just when you think your setup where you can get busted look again!!!! :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Man! Ya never know where mister yote will come from. Sounds like you picked a good spot tho.

Murphys law in action
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

THO Game Calls

Did he come in behind you in the tree line or did he come in from the field?

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

FinsnFur

I was thinking the same thing Al.
Pretty typical for em to walk the brush line were hding in.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

Edges.  I always think edges when hunting in the brush LOL.  It's amazing how quiet they can be at times and slip in right behind you.  15 yards is more than enough for them to come in and give you a heart attack. 

I hate it when they do that too.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Greenside

Good setup for turkey but never did like  them for coyote. I'd rather take my chances out there in that pasture even if I had  to go prone.

Greenside

keekee

I like to call the woods but I always try and set were I can see the down wind side of the stand. Every time I dont I get burnt!

Sounds like you got some good areas down there again this year though Ronnie!

Brent

centerfire_223

Yea I was setup just inside the woodline, and I do think he came down the edge. I guess I could setup out in the pasture against the fence row. That would be a good setup for a electronic caller, I may have to dig mine out just for those type stands.

Oh well you learn from your mistakes!!! :confused:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

coyotehunter_1

QuoteI had set up inside the woodline about 15 yards. The way I had it set up the only way a coyote could wind me was get out in the open pasture or get in the 15 yards of woods behind me.

Sometimes it simply doesn’t happen, no matter what you do. Make the same stand on a different day and the outcome could be completely different, that’s just part of coyote hunting.

QuoteI barked at it and got it to stop but wouldn't you know it, it stopped behind a tree.

That’s just plain old bad luck… anyway you look at it!

Ronnie,
The coyotes will still be there next time. You enjoyed a good day in the field, that’s what it’s all about.  :congrats:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

THO Game Calls

Chet hit it.  You had a good day, called a coyote, got to see some coyote behavior that will make you a better coyote hunter.  What could be better than that? 

You know, that same place might just be the ticket for a tree stand   :eyebrownod:

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com