• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Calling the beach for coyotes?

Started by onecoyote, January 24, 2008, 11:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onecoyote

Does anyone have any experience calling in coyotes off  the beach? Lots of food washes up on beaches across the country, don't you think coyotes would take advantage of it?
If you've done it, lets hear about it. Most predator callers either don't get the chance or can't hunt off the beach or don't even know about it.

Jimmie in Ky

They make fun of me when I tell them about such things happening here. But on ocassion I dig out a dying shad call. It happens when we get temps cold enough to cause a dieoff of the threadfin shad. Scats will be white and glitter from the scales in them. High protien , high fat food source.

If folks will look they will find plenty of sign where the coyotes check out the waters edge on lakes and rivers even in th middle of the country. I have even sat and watched tem do it on occasion. Jimmie

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on January 25, 2008, 01:30:23 AM
I dig out a dying shad call.

Jimmie,

I have never heard a dying shad call.  Does it sound anything like a Carp sucking water?   :biggrin:   

Jerry

onecoyote

I'm not talking about shad. Maybe a dead whale or seal. Most people never get the chance to hunt off the beach or even think about it. I've done it with great success, just woundering if others have done the same?

CrossJ

Hunt the coasts all the time here in Oklahoma LOL...............sorry, I invision bikinis and surfers, not coyotes. Its a geography thing I guess. Maintain

THO Game Calls

35  to 40 miles from me we have the entire east coast.

All of it is off limits to me because of ONE spelling mistake.

Years ago, my buddy gave me a call late one night and asked if I wanted to go do some striper fishing by moonlight out on Plum Island. We are blessed with a world class striper fishery all along the coast here, so I said sure. 

Wife was already in bed so I left the following note -

"Went with Tim to chase strippers.  Back in the morning."

She never let me go fishing again.  So I doubt she would buy the calling coyotes on the beach story. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Nelson

Spell check Al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roflmao:[move][move][move][move][move][move][move][move][move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move][/move]

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Nelson

Jimmie in Ky

All kinds of things happen along th rivers Onecoyote. The shad die off is th biggest draw when it happens, but other things happpen as well. Along the Ohio and Mississippi ,during the rut, the deer swim the rivers and don't make it sometimes. Large fish are also a draw when they die or are killed by something. I find that coyotes with empty bellies near th rivers often check the banks for food. If you watch one for a while you can tell it is hunting by the way it acts. They work into the wind checking everything they come too.  I have taken advantage of this habit a few times.

I am sure the draw along th oceans is the same. Only all manner of things are there compared to the inland rivers. I am sure they feed on crabs and other delicacies when they can find them as well as what washes up or is stranded. Jimmie

THO Game Calls

All joking aside, along the ocean here, the birds get everything.  Not much last for long.  If I were going to target a coyote on the beach, or try to, I would do it on a day when the low tide hit bottom around 4 or 5 in the morning, right at first light.  But in all my years of fishing all along the Mass, NH and Maine coast line, I have never seen a coyote on the beach, but then I wasn't looking for one either. 

I have seen coyotes hunt around small ponds through.  They do it all the time up here. 
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

onecoyote

I hunted the beaches of Baja California. Not anything like the states when it comes to beaches, though I would think you can find beaches that can be called with succcess in the U.S. I'm sure the same can be done inland around rivers and lakes, a coyote is a coyote, he is always looking for food and an easy meal.
I had a conversation with Major Boddicker a few years ago about hunting off the beaches in Mexico, he knew it could be good, but also stated few have done it. He understands the untouched beaches had so much food a coyote need not leave. He was wrong. They did leave................dead lol.

Jimmie in Ky

I have seen s few times when I couldn't even get a look from them. They had easy pickin's in front of them and they would not budge for anything. And like turkeys it is hard to get them to cross a creek that is between us sometimes.

I think there are a lot of possibilities out there that most folks don't even think of checking out. Like landfills and such as well as beaches or river banks. Check for tracks around these things and you will soon find out just how many coyotes a drainage or area holds.

And what about creeks that run through small towns. Anyone ever think of those? Natural travel routes into the suburbs that htey use on a regular basis. Backtrack 'em and you go some goosd calling there too.They will show up for free meals.Jimmie

FinsnFur

Jimmie goes to the beach looking for strippers, and comes back with Coyotes  :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

frshwtr

do some surf fishing in delaware; never seen coyotes but red fox now and then. just mentioned to the wife today i feel like takeing a call or two alnog on vacation just to see if i can call something in (explained not to shoot it just call it in). just cant get her to understand why i would want to do that.

Mallardsr

Do yall think my Mossy Oak Break-up camo will work in Destin,Fl. We take the kids every year! Never even dawned on me to try calling.  :doh2:

Jimmie in Ky

I don't go to the swimming beaches around here. To many of them damned bone white yankees laying around.   :nono: I'll stick to scanning yacht roofs for southern belle types out on the main lake. :biggrin:

frshwtr

glad to hear the yankees are bone white; that shows the winter they had. if youse was uo here after our winter youse would be blue.

onecoyote

Yankees are bone white :confused: What is that about, I don't think it's any English I ever heard before? I'm talking hunting coyotes off the beach, not the bone yard.
Some of you guys must have lived in citys all your life. You ever been to the real outdoors? Places like Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California has a beach, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Washington has a beach, Oregon has a beach, you can add N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Nebraska, Kanses and Oklahoma and even Texas has a beach.........Real coyote country....Damn kids. :madd: :eyebrownod:..........Good hunting....................P.S. I joke around alot you guys, relax lol.

Jimmie in Ky

So do we Danny. Joke that is. It ain't my fault if'n Jim don't get enough sun .  :biggrin:

Last time I saw anything close to your real outdoors , dad let me tag along with him pheasant hunting along the south platte river. A body could see a long way out across the ground there with no houses in sight.  I was seven years old at the time. It snowed on July 4th the following summer in Denver and Dad said we are heading home to Ky. Been here ever since. And to tell the truth the only thing I miss, is seeing the rockies in september ,when the aspen turn gold and the snows start hitting the high peaks. Jimmie

FinsnFur

Yea we dont have any beaches on our side of the Mississippi. Danny verified that. Heck even our side of the Mississippi itself is a wall and not a beach.

I did see a coyote walking the wall top one day. :fingerx:

It stumbled and sure as hell, it fell off on the West side.  :sarcas3:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

onecoyote

Awwww, it's ok. I love you guys anyway. I think? :iroll: Where ever I end up out here in the west you guys are alway welcome. :yoyo: