• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Quote of the Day

Started by coyote101, February 06, 2008, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbertoes

[, illegal framers are making upwards of $15 to $20 per hour. 

iirc, ..they pay them by the linear foot.. the faster you work, the more you get paid. so, a piece of crap they build.
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

coyote101

"Nothing makes you more tolerant of a neighbor's noisy party than being there." - Franklin P. Jones
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

"It is going to be an experiment of how it works, and I see I have all reasons to believe that it will work fine. But it's a short time. And we also have pushed the envelope here a little beyond what has been done in the past." - Claude Nicollier
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

"In the past, children learned their values at home, reinforced by organizations such as the Boy Scouts and, of course, their church or synagogue, but in all too many families that is no longer the case." - Paul Weyrich
NRA Life Member

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

NASA

"As an American I am less shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, than I am that America gave him the White House .............  based on the same credentials."

- - Newt Gingrich

coyote101

"There are some frauds so well conducted that it would be stupidity not to be deceived by them." - Charles Caleb Colton
NRA Life Member

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

"The senses deceive from time to time, and it is prudent never to trust wholly those who have deceived us even once." - Rene Descartes
NRA Life Member

KySongDog

Great quote and oh so true.   :wink:

coyote101

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, 'thank You,' that would suffice." - Meister Eckhart
NRA Life Member

vvarmitr

coyote101

"Scouting exposes young men to people and experiences that encourage and nurture positive moral values. But we mustn't take Scouting for granted. You can do nothing more important for young people today than to continue, or begin, your support of Scouting. I have never met anyone with devoted Scouting experience who was not a solid citizen, a loyal friend, and a patriot. We need more of them." - Wallace G. Wilkinson, former Governor of Kentucky
NRA Life Member

slagmaker

Amen.

Eagle scout and a scouting supporter.

As a youth I was headed in the wrong direction. Hanging out with some unsavory type people then I found scouts. It really turned me around.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyote101

"How beautiful the leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days."
- John Burroughs
NRA Life Member

coyote101

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan
NRA Life Member

pitw

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that he said that :shrug:.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on November 07, 2009, 06:24:39 AM
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that he said that :shrug:.
Barry,

I can't find where he said that exact quote, but I suspect it was in one or more of the many speeches he gave as President. I did, however find this interview he did in 1975 with the editor of Reason Magazine in which he expresses the sentiment, although not in the exact words. Here is the pertinent part of that interview. You can read the entire interview by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page:

REASON: Governor, could you give us some examples of what you would consider to be proper functions of government?

REAGAN: Well, the first and most important thing is that government exists to protect us from each other. Government exists, of course, for the defense of the nation, and for the defense of the rights of the individual. Maybe we don’t all agree on some of the other accepted functions of government, such as fire departments and police departmentsâ€"again the protection of the people.

REASON: Are you suggesting that fire departments would be a necessary and proper function of government?

REAGAN: Yes. I know that there was a time back in history in which fire departments were private and you insured your house and then had an emblem on the front of your house which identified which company was responsible for protecting it against fire. I believe today, because of the manner in which we live, that, you can make a pretty good case for our public fire departmentsâ€"because there are very few ways that you can handle fire in one particular structure today without it representing a threat to others.

REASON: How would you distinguish "socialized" fire departments and "socialized" fire insurance companies? Or would you be in favor of socialized fire insurance also?

REAGAN: No. Nor am I in favor of socialized medicine. But, there’s bound to be a grey area, an area in there in which you ask is this government protecting us from ourselves or is this government protecting us from each other. I don’t believe in a government that protects us from ourselves......

reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan
NRA Life Member

pitw

Sorry Pat.  :doh2:  I believe he said it I guess but not that he thought it up to say :iroll:.

CCP

On the same lines

We need another Reagan now. This is an old speech but it rings so true today.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net