• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Semi-auto shotguns for coyote?

Started by Roundman, February 18, 2008, 05:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

I have the itch for a semi auto. The only must haves are 3.5 inch chamber,  no more than a 26 inch barrel, and light weight. You guys have any experience with turkey guns like this? Give me your opinion.

topdawg

I like the benelli super black eagle2, its light weight and quick. It does have a little kick to it though
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

Silencer

I'm using an 1187 that has a 3.5 inch chamber.  Now, this is using turkey loads, nothing bigger than 2 shot.

I'm not impressed with the 3.5 inch at all, my brother and I have tested numerous loads, chokes, ounces,  $$ 100's  of my brothers  dollars later etc etc etc....we cant find a 3.5 inch that shoots a better pattern than the 3 inch.
Maybe other guns shoot differently, but my opinion after all this testing is a 3.5 inch isnt made to cram down a 12 guage barrel.  

We both stick to the 3 inch.  I wouldnt recomend a Rem 1187 to anyone at this point.  
I love mine for duck, crow, and turks, but it isnt what I had expected.  

My 870 super mag is the same way, 3.5 wont pattern.   Might just be the Remington products, but thats all I have.

My next semi will be a beretta extrema II, or a benelli.

FinsnFur

I used a Semi Auto Benelli when I hunted with Buker and Watson down in Texas, I dont recall which model but  man I loved that baby. If I had the funds for such a gun, that would be my first choice.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

topdawg

the benelli i have paterns great with  5 shot for turks and bbs for yotes  both being used with a pattermaster choke. I  have been wanting to try out the dead coyote but havent yet
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

Roundman

QuoteI used a Semi Auto Benelli when I hunted with Buker and Watson down in Texas, I dont recall which model but  man I loved that baby. If I had the funds for such a gun, that would be my first choice.

Well I did just sell my AR  :innocentwhistle:

Jeb

Quote from: Roundman on February 18, 2008, 06:20:40 PM
QuoteI used a Semi Auto Benelli when I hunted with Buker and Watson down in Texas, I dont recall which model but  man I loved that baby. If I had the funds for such a gun, that would be my first choice.

Well I might just buy an AR  :innocentwhistle:

I might have one to fit your hands  :biggrin:
             Jeb

Roundman

QuoteQuote
I used a Semi Auto Benelli when I hunted with Buker and Watson down in Texas, I dont recall which model but  man I loved that baby. If I had the funds for such a gun, that would be my first choice.

Well I might just buy an AR 

I might have one to fit your hands 
             Jeb
:congrats:
ya got me

KySongDog

I've used a SBE (not the SBE II) for many years and I like this gun better than any other shotgun I've owned.  It's relatively light weight and has a 24 inch barrel, I shoot 3 1/2 #5 hevi shot for turkeys through a Briley straight rifled extended turkey choke.  .665 diameter.  It has killed birds way past 50 yards.   Plus its taken rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves, pheasants, ducks, geese, crows, and now coyotes.

I used the same choke setup for coyotes at LBL using the new 3 1/2 Remington HD BB load and it worked very well on the one yote I shot.

The Benelli will handle any length shell 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no bushings, o-rings, etc to fool with.  Just load and shoot. You can even interchange 2 3/4 shells and 3 1/2 shells in the magazine and the gun just shoots everything.  It has never failed to go bang no matter how cold or icy the conditions. 

And no, I'm not on pro-staff for Benelli in case you were wonderin'.   :biggrin:

Semp

Silencer

QuoteThe Benelli will handle any length shell 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no bushings, o-rings, etc to fool with.

thats a big plus right there, my 1187 I have to put in the O ring for 2 3/4, its a big PIA.   

vvarmitr

Aside from my SP10 I also use an 11-87 3 1/2", but I have no trouble going from trap loads to 3 1/2" mags. w/o changing anything.  :shrug:  However, it has a 28" barrel which I'd like to get pruned to about 20"  :eyebrow:  Now if I do that I may have trouble w/ it not handling the lighter loads.

keekee

I have Rem 1187 in 3" mag. Its killed allot of Coyotes and Fox for me. Shooting the Dead Coyote loads and a .660 choke tube. Same set up for Turkeys, only #6 wens in 3" and its killed birds at well over 50 yards. Its been a good gun and taken allot of game.

Brent