• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Smith & Wesson .22

Started by coyote101, March 16, 2008, 10:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I picked up a Smith & Wesson model 22A .22 pistol this weekend. It looks and feels pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? If so, how do you like it?  Any problems?  What ammo does it prefer? Thanks.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

A guy that I didn't know had one out at the range last summer and I got to look at it.  He was shooting at a target that was probably 40 feet away and was holding a respectable group - at least a group better than I can do off-hand.  He was shooting Remington ammo and I asked if he wanted to try some CCI Standard Velocity to see how they shot.  "No."  Was all he said so I went my own way.

Sorry I couldn't give you more info.

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 17, 2008, 08:20:14 AM
He was shooting Remington ammo and I asked if he wanted to try some CCI Standard Velocity to see how they shot.  "No."  Was all he said so I went my own way.

Sorry I couldn't give you more info.

Jerry

I'm not a fan of standard vel. ammo in pistols either.  You are much more prone to have feeding problems IMHO.  Every year, at my gun club, we have a day for kids to shoot .22's and 20 ga. guns.  We furnish .22 standard velocity shells for the kids to use. The autoloader pistols seem to jam a lot with that ammo. Stove pipes, failure to feed and failure to fire seem all to common.  Stick with high velocity ammo and I think you will avoid those problems.

As for the S&W 22A, I have no experience with that pistol.  It may eat standard vel ammo with no problems.  Try it and see.

Semp

Semp

coyote101

I tried it out this past weekend.  Standing supported at about 12 yards, with a Red Dot sight and Federal 36 grain HV ammo (that bulk hollow point stuff), it will shoot about an inch to an inch and a half group. That's about all I'm capable of anyway.
Given a steadier rest and different types of ammo, it may do better. No malfunctions with the high velocity ammo. It is very comfortable to shoot and should be fun to try on the squirrels this year.

QuoteI'm not a fan of standard vel. ammo in pistols either.  You are much more prone to have feeding problems IMHO.

Semp,

I tried some standard velocity Winchester ammo that I had. I shot fifty rounds and had at least two malfunctions per 10 round magazine. It doesn't like the standard velocity stuff.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 17, 2008, 08:20:14 AM

I asked if he wanted to try some CCI Standard Velocity to see how they shot.  "No."  Was all he said so I went my own way.

Jerry

:roflmao: :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com